wD Mafia Master Post

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Jamiet99uk

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#801 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:31 pm

Council Announcement

I have Dargorygel's agreement on some key points and I therefore wanted to give you some updates, which are as follows:

1) Starting from the next game, M 64, all of the Forum rules will apply in Mafia games run in the Forum Games sub-forum. Your attention is drawn in particular to Forum Rule #2 "No abusive, bigoted, or degrading content".

This rule has been in place for some time across the whole of the webDip forum, but a great deal of leniency has been permitted in Mafia, in part due to the nature of the game.

2) The webDip Admins, Moderators and Site Owners have made it very clear to us that they do not want to be dragged into dealing with problems arising from Mafia games and by-and-large want as little as possible to do with supervising this sub-forum. They have also made it very clear that if the are frequently required to intervene in Mafia games, the preference of the Site Owners will be simply to ban Mafia from webDip altogether.

Therefore except in very exceptional circumstances, the application of the Forum rules, and of Rule #2 in particular, during Mafia games, will be the responsibility of (a) the GM in that game, and (b) the Council, currently consisting of Dargorygel and myself, Jamie the T.

To ensure that GMs and the Council can enforce these rules, where necessary:

1) GMs and the Council shall have the authority to instruct players to cease posting in public on any topic regarded as a violation of Rule #2. Players will be expected to observe such instructions immediately.

2) GMs and the Council shall have the power to remove players from games via modkill or replacement, and

3) The Council (alone) will have the power to impose bans from playing Mafia, for varying periods of time (or numbers of games), as appropriate. The usual escalation we have in mind, for consistency, is a formal warning, followed by a one-game ban, a three-game ban, a one-year ban, and a permanent ban.

The webDip Mod team will not be involved in such bans and all members of the community should do their damnedest to ensure they do not have to become involved. PMs to Council and the active GM should be the primary means of raising any complaint. There will be an appeals process for anyone banned, if they feel their ban to be unjust.

These are the basics. We hope the existence of the rule will be enough to remind everyone to try to be reasonably civil with each other, and that the sanctions will only need to be used rarely. But you can also be sure that we will use them without undue hesitation when they are justified.

These rulings will be clarified and codified further and added to an updated text of the main rules post, prior to M 64 starting.

Do let me know if you have any queries.

brainbomb

#802 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:41 pm

Id like to request a formal pardon for any future bans I may have

brainbomb

#803 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:42 pm

and a pardon for Rudy Guiliani and Jared Kushner if they ever roll scum

Jamiet99uk

#804 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:03 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:41 pm
Id like to request a formal pardon for any future bans I may have
Please send an email to the following address:

Donald Trump
c/o Mar-a-Lago Club
1100 S. Ocean Blvd.
Palm Beach, FL 33480

e.m.c^42

#805 Post by e.m.c^42 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:21 pm

The question is, now, can you consent to being degraded. Get a special little tag and all ;p

Jamiet99uk

#806 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:28 pm

Emc, please. :lol:

Jamiet99uk

#807 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:29 pm

I will be making an announcement about M 64 at some point either much later tonight, or tomorrow. Stay tuned because it's going to be a fun setup.

e.m.c^42

#808 Post by e.m.c^42 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:06 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:28 pm
Emc, please. :lol:
In the spirit of setting boundaries as we are doing here, you have my explicit permission and consent to say whatever you want to me ;)

In fact, as far as mafia games go, everyone here does. I really like it when y'all get creative.

e.m.c^42

#809 Post by e.m.c^42 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:09 pm

For some reason I feel like I've just confessed to something, but I don't think I have. Hrm

Jamiet99uk

#810 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:31 am

So, I promised I'd start to tell you about the interesting / absurd setup I'll be using for M 64. It will be a variant of "Greater Idea Mafia".

Greater Idea Mafia is a semi-open setup, designed to be flexible and fun, if a little chaotic and pretty swingy.

This setup is intended for 21 players, and begins with a special, 12 hour "Role Allocation" phase, scheduled 13 hours before the normal start time.

Instead of a fixed set of roles, there is a virtual "deck" of 64 cards, each representing a potential role. The game is officially "semi-open" since all 64 cards in the deck are listed in the setup. Some roles are in the deck more than once. For example, in the deck I have currently drafted, there are nine "Vanilla Townie" cards, five "Goon" cards, two "Cop" cards, and so on.

The game can contain up to four alignments: Town, Mafia, Alien, and Independent. Not all four are guaranteed to be present, however, due to the Role Allocation mechanics which I will now explain.

At the beginning of the Role Allocation phase, the GM will use a random generator to "draw" two cards for each player. These are drawn completely randomly and are not linked in any way. A player could draw "Cop" and "Doctor", they could draw "Vanilla Town" twice, they could draw both "Mafia Strongman" and "Serial Killer", and so on.

Once you receive a PM with your two cards, you then have until the Role Allocation deadline to pick ONE of these roles, and discard the other.

The reason there is then a one-hour pause is because the GM then needs to do a few more things, specifically:

1. To ensure that the setup is not *completely* broken, the GM will first check that the following minimum parameters are met:
i) At least 11 players (i.e. more than 50%) are Town;
ii) At least 3 players are of anti-Town alignment.

In the fairly unlikely event these minimum thresholds are not met, the whole thing unfortunately has to be re-rolled. However, this really is quite unlikely.

2. Having ensured (1) is met, any roles with partners or QT access are then informed of the identity of their partners / given their QT links.

3. The discarded role cards are revealed (but not who discarded which card).

Once all that is done, the game then starts as normal.

I am still finalising the setup and the exact contents of the deck of roles.

Sign-ups will appear at the weekend.

e.m.c^42

#811 Post by e.m.c^42 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:58 am

What's the difference between "alien" and "independent"? Don't tell me it's the flavour, because I've already traumatised Ike (gone as he is) once with that lol

Bonatogether

#812 Post by Bonatogether » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:14 am

e.m.c^42 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:58 am
What's the difference between "alien" and "independent"? Don't tell me it's the flavour, because I've already traumatised Ike (gone as he is) once with that lol
I'd guess it's a mafia group that can't win with the other mafia and has different powers and such?

Jamiet99uk

#813 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:18 am

"Independent" signifies any faction-of-one that has no partners, like a Serial Killer.

"Alien" is an alternate hidden minority faction that can communicate in a QT. It's like a second Mafia group but it's called the "Alien" faction partly to differentiate it from the Mafia group ("Mafia Group 2" is a bit of a dull faction name), but also because the Aliens have a couple of slightly different rules around the NK, etc.

Jamiet99uk

#814 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:18 am

Bonatogether wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:14 am
e.m.c^42 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:58 am
I'd guess it's a mafia group that can't win with the other mafia and has different powers and such?
Pretty much! Smart kid.

e.m.c^42

#815 Post by e.m.c^42 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:27 am

Ah, so it's not a cult/recruiting 3P vs single 3P?

BunnyGo

#816 Post by BunnyGo » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:28 am

So like, I might be able to choose if I’m scum or town or 3P or 4p? So people not only have to read each other, but read what they think each other would pick if given the chance?

Jamiet99uk

#817 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:31 am

e.m.c^42 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:27 am
Ah, so it's not a cult/recruiting 3P vs single 3P?
I have decided this setup is random enough without a Cult faction, so as it's currently drafted, there are no roles in the deck that can recruit people to a new faction or cause their alignments to change.

kgray
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#818 Post by kgray » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:32 am

BunnyGo wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:28 am
So like, I might be able to choose if I’m scum or town or 3P or 4p? So people not only have to read each other, but read what they think each other would pick if given the chance?
Yeah, and who would ever choose to be scum?

Jamiet99uk

#819 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:33 am

BunnyGo wrote:
If the luck of the draw happened to give you a Town card and a Mafia card, you would have to pick one and discard the other, yes, that's how it works.

Or you might get two different town roles, or two different scum roles. You might even get a Mafia card and an Alien card, and face a choice about *which* scum faction to join.

Or you might draw "Vanilla Townie" and "Vanilla Townie".

e.m.c^42

#820 Post by e.m.c^42 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:33 am

BunnyGo wrote:
I hope we can have 5 or 6 independent factions running around.