Mafia XL - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
bozotheclown

Re: Mafia XL - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

#101 Post by bozotheclown » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:43 pm

bozotheclown wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:41 pm
xorxes wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:34 pm
bozotheclown wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:23 pm

I forgot about that, I think that is a good argument against the box holder claiming. How about claiming the next day?
Possibly at the very end of N2. Otherwise Mafia will know who can't be protected by the box that night.
Looking at the setup, the order of operations says that box delivery occurs before the NK, so it seems like it may be the receiver who is protected by the box.
Sorry, I just realized that is what you said, I misinterpreted it the first time.

Foxcastle

#102 Post by Foxcastle » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:43 pm

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:40 pm
#Ask GM - The holder of the box or the next holder is protected from the night kill?
##GM NOTE: During the Night Phase, the recipient of the Box is protected from the Mafia Night Kill. The player delivering the Box is not protected.

RagingIke297

#103 Post by RagingIke297 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:44 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:37 pm
RagingIke297 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:36 pm
worcej wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:14 pm
FYI - Box Person, don't claim!!!

Claiming will result in your death. I call scum on bozo and Ike - because Mafia will know who to target (the guy who claims the box) right away to get rid of a town friendly item.
This is assuming that the person holding the box isn't scum and scum actually want to target whoever is holding the box. However it's something we need to look into more, who benefits more from knowing? Scum could try to target box holders, but then box holders get to direct kills.... hmmm
"Direct kills".... How?
Well, if a box holder claims and says who they are passing the box to, if scum act like worcej says they will, they would want to continue to kill whoever the box got passed to, thus the person holding the box would be able to "direct" the next kill based on who they pass the box to.

bozotheclown

#104 Post by bozotheclown » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:47 pm

bozotheclown wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:34 pm
worcej wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:14 pm
FYI - Box Person, don't claim!!!
Foxcastle wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:32 pm

If the recipient of the Box has been targeted for the Mafia Night Kill, the Box will block the Night Kill. The target of the Night Kill will not be informed that they were saved.
Claiming will result in your death. I call scum on bozo and Ike - because Mafia will know who to target (the guy who claims the box) right away to get rid of a town friendly item.
I agree the box holder should not claim unless there is a consensus that claiming is a good idea. I considered what you are saying, but I thought the doc could protect the box holder, then xorxes pointed out that the current box holder can't be NKed, so that mafia would have to NK at least one day behind. However, this is part of the trade off, since some items are good to hold onto more than a day.
Sorry, I was thinking the current box holder was protected. This is a good argument against box claiming.

worcej

#105 Post by worcej » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:03 pm

RagingIke297 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:44 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
RagingIke297 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:36 pm

This is assuming that the person holding the box isn't scum and scum actually want to target whoever is holding the box. However it's something we need to look into more, who benefits more from knowing? Scum could try to target box holders, but then box holders get to direct kills.... hmmm
"Direct kills".... How?
Well, if a box holder claims and says who they are passing the box to, if scum act like worcej says they will, they would want to continue to kill whoever the box got passed to, thus the person holding the box would be able to "direct" the next kill based on who they pass the box to.
I don't see how your idea would benefit the town at all - assuming the box is in the mafia hands, which they wouldn't know yet because no QT discussion, by claiming it they would benefit more from the claim.

If the item is in a townies hand, then they would be getting a free elimination of the item unless doctor saves, which forces the doctor's save immediately instead of possibly protecting a PR - unless the box holder is also a PR... but that would still make the holder an obvious target down the road.

thdfrance

#106 Post by thdfrance » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:18 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but whoever gets the box doesn't have to use the item they get right away? So if scum know who has had the box then they would be able to target people with those items that can be important to the town. I can possibly see how claiming that you've had the box in the past and then identifying who you gave it to could be useful in us rooting out scum in the mid to end game. But for now I think it's best that we do what we can to keep the box in townie hands and get the items for ourselves. That means keeping whoever has or has had the box a secret.

brainbomb

#107 Post by brainbomb » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:18 pm

My bride...
My bride!
My bride!
I've come to claim my bride,
Come tenderly to crush her against my side.
Let haste be made!
I cannot be delayed:
There are lands to conquer, cities to loot and peoples to degrade.
[SOLDIERS]
Look at those arms!
Look at that chest!
Look at them!
[MILES]
Not to mention the rest.
Even I am impressed!
My bride!
My bride!
Come, bring to me my bride.!

VOTE COUNT 1.0

ND (3) RagingIke297 Jamiet99uk DrCJG
Jamiet99uk (2) ND Balki Bartokomous
rdrivera2005 (1) peterlund
bo_sox48 (1) Durga
thdfrance (1) xorxes
peterlund (1) Tom Bombadil
xorxes (1) thdfrance

Non-votes:
bozotheclown, bo_sox48, damo666, DemonRHK, ghug, rdrivera2005
Squigs44, Szpoti, Vecna, worcej, yavuzovic

Currently ND is scheduled to be my BRIDE
MY BRIDE
Hes scheduled to be my bride

RagingIke297

#108 Post by RagingIke297 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:20 pm

worcej wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:03 pm
RagingIke297 wrote:
Jamiet99uk wrote:

"Direct kills".... How?
I don't see how your idea would benefit the town at all - assuming the box is in the mafia hands, which they wouldn't know yet because no QT discussion, by claiming it they would benefit more from the claim.

If the item is in a townies hand, then they would be getting a free elimination of the item unless doctor saves, which forces the doctor's save immediately instead of possibly protecting a PR - unless the box holder is also a PR... but that would still make the holder an obvious target down the road.
Just hold off on claiming the box for a while, and wait to say who you passed the box to until they have passed the box. If scum got the box to start, they would love to not say who they are passing it to and just pass it between themselves until the last item. IMO we need to have claims at some point to have a verifiable trail for going into late game

worcej

#109 Post by worcej » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:33 pm

RagingIke297 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:20 pm
Just hold off on claiming the box for a while, and wait to say who you passed the box to until they have passed the box. If scum got the box to start, they would love to not say who they are passing it to and just pass it between themselves until the last item. IMO we need to have claims at some point to have a verifiable trail for going into late game
This logic you explained is why I believe that the box HAD to start in a town players hands because it would make scum so OP and almost impossible to stop.

RagingIke297

#110 Post by RagingIke297 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:36 pm

worcej wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:33 pm
RagingIke297 wrote:
This logic you explained is why I believe that the box HAD to start in a town players hands because it would make scum so OP and almost impossible to stop.
I agree that it would be very difficult to overcome, but this is also why we need to claim at some point, in case the box does start with scum.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#111 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:41 pm

Let's stop talking about the box. Don't claim anything about the box today. That's final.

Let's figure out who is scum.

Go -- figure it out.

thdfrance

#112 Post by thdfrance » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:43 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:41 pm
Let's stop talking about the box. Don't claim anything about the box today. That's final.

Go -- figure it out.
I a free with you 100%....but the abruptness of shutting down discussion in this manner? Perhaps you're a scum lord trying to cover up the possibility that one of your teammates has the box??? :? :? :?

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#113 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:44 pm

thdfrance wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:43 pm
I a free with you 100%....but the abruptness of shutting down discussion in this manner? Perhaps you're a scum lord trying to cover up the possibility that one of your teammates has the box??? :? :? :?
Perhaps. Let's talk about that. Do you find that likely? Explain.

Jamiet99uk

#114 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:46 pm

worcej wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:33 pm
RagingIke297 wrote:
Jeez, can we have one game in which people just don't assume the GMs are liars, pleeeease? The GM has said that the box begins with a RANDOM player. You are accusing the GM of lying. Just don't. Stop it. Seriously.

bozotheclown

#115 Post by bozotheclown » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:49 pm

worcej wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:03 pm
RagingIke297 wrote:
Jamiet99uk wrote:

"Direct kills".... How?

The benefit of claiming is that it limits the power of the box if it gets in mafia hands by forcing the mafia to give away its location. While it is more likely in town hands now, every night it gets moved gives the mafia another chance to obtain it, if they did not get lucky and have it already. Without claims, once the mafia get the box, they can perform a list, NK the player who gave them the box, then pass the box among themselves.

Jamiet99uk

#116 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:00 am

I am quoting this for the benefit of Worcej:
Foxcastle wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:32 pm

Pandora’s Box

Pandora’s Box is an item that is passed around between players and grants various items and effects. It begins with a random player at the start of Day 1. It contains 4-6 items. The number of items is randomly determined, and the items in the box are randomly drawn from the following list.
Ok, Worcej?

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#117 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:01 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:46 pm
Jeez, can we have one game in which people just don't assume the GMs are liars, pleeeease? The GM has said that the box begins with a RANDOM player. You are accusing the GM of lying. Just don't. Stop it. Seriously.
You seem mad. Are you mad?

bozotheclown

#118 Post by bozotheclown » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:03 am

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:41 pm

Go -- figure it out.
I think it is worth discussing the pros and cons of forcing the box holder to claim. If the box is already in mafia control, the mafia would definitely benefit from not talking about the box.

Jamiet99uk

#119 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:05 am

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:01 am
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:46 pm
You seem mad. Are you mad?
As a fairly regular GM it really, really annoys me when someone says the GM is outright lying about the setup. Any GM who would do that isn't fit to GM - and to accuse Foxcastle of this, as Worcej has done, is totally insulting and he should apologise.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#120 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:08 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:05 am
As a fairly regular GM it really, really annoys me when someone says the GM is outright lying about the setup. Any GM who would do that isn't fit to GM - and to accuse Foxcastle of this, as Worcej has done, is totally insulting and he should apologise.
This sounds like it's really important to you. I suggest that you write a strongly worded letter after this game is over to secure that apology for Foxcastle.

For now, please tell us who is scum and why.