20 Questions, Game 287

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Jamiet99uk

Re: 20 Questions, Game 287

#41 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue May 14, 2024 7:37 pm

So they won an award which is both:

a) Not a major award.
b) The most prestigious award *in this particular field*.

This implies quite a niche or obscure field.
Buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz.

Wattsthematter

#42 Post by Wattsthematter » Tue May 14, 2024 7:52 pm

Is their primary claim to fame writing?

Wattsthematter

#43 Post by Wattsthematter » Tue May 14, 2024 7:54 pm

Wattsthematter wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 7:52 pm
Is their primary claim to fame writing?
Scratch this. I'll have to think about this one a bit

Hominidae

#44 Post by Hominidae » Tue May 14, 2024 7:57 pm

Is this person primarily famous for something to do with the arts (in a broad sense)?

Aristocrat

#45 Post by Aristocrat » Tue May 14, 2024 8:15 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 7:37 pm
So they won an award which is both:

a) Not a major award.
b) The most prestigious award *in this particular field*.

This implies quite a niche or obscure field.
So, I didn't mean for my clarification to mislead. The question asked for awards that were both major and international. I essentially took it to mean this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:International_awards. Note this includes some but not all entertainment awards (that is, the Oscar for best international film would fit, but not most other Oscars, which aren't really international awards).

Thus this person could have won one or more awards, prizes, competitions, etc. of something that:

1) Is truly international, but not "major" (so a step or more down from the Nobel, Olympics, Palme d'Or, etc.)

or

2) Is "major," but not international (e.g., Best Picture Oscar, BAFTA award in non-international categories, NFL MVP, etc.)

or

3) They could have won both types (but not one that is both major and international)

Edit: Given my prior post I will go ahead and say that this person has won something that would fall into #1, without saying whether they would also satisfy #2 or #3.

Aristocrat

#46 Post by Aristocrat » Tue May 14, 2024 8:18 pm

Hominidae wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 7:57 pm
Is this person primarily famous for something to do with the arts (in a broad sense)?
Yes

DreamTrawler

#47 Post by DreamTrawler » Tue May 14, 2024 8:26 pm

Born in Germany, Scandinavia, Russia, Ireland, Baltic country, or Balkan country?

Aristocrat

#48 Post by Aristocrat » Tue May 14, 2024 8:29 pm

DreamTrawler wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 8:26 pm
Born in Germany, Scandinavia, Russia, Ireland, Baltic country, or Balkan country?
No

Hominidae

#49 Post by Hominidae » Tue May 14, 2024 9:11 pm

Born in what is currently the United Kingdom or one of its dependencies or territories?

Aristocrat

#50 Post by Aristocrat » Tue May 14, 2024 10:02 pm

Hominidae wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 9:11 pm
Born in what is currently the United Kingdom or one of its dependencies or territories?
No

1, 2, 3, 6, 11, 14, 17. Real Human Born 1900-1971 CE in Europe but NOT Germany, Scandinavia, Russia, Ireland, a Baltic country, or a Balkan country, or the United Kingdom or one of its dependencies or territories.
3, 12. Native speaker of an Indo-European language, but not a Romance language.
4. Male
5. A white person taller than 4' 11"
7. Living
8. Has won what is widely considered to be the most prestigious international award/prize/etc. in an activity/field/niche/etc. but this award may not be considered "major" by all and in the QMs estimation it is not.
9. Is or has been involved in one or more of the following fields: visual art, architecture, photography, dance, comics, game design, graphic design, toy design, or cuisine (question interpreted broadly).
10. Largely famous for being a politician, writer, visual artist, athlete, or musical artist ("largely famous" as defined in this thread, they are well known for one or more of the above).
13. QM is not aware of this person having created any works that are currently on display in a museum or this person having designed a building in a major city.
15. Not primarily (single biggest source of fame) famous for visual art, architecture, photography, dance, comics, game design, graphic design, toy design, or cuisine (question interpreted broadly), being a politician, writer, visual artist, athlete, or musical artist.
16. Primarily famous for something to do with the arts (in a broad sense)

Aristocrat

#51 Post by Aristocrat » Tue May 14, 2024 10:12 pm

I don't think this game will need a proactive clue, so I won't offer one.

But, friendly reminder that questions about methodology are free of charge. There are a couple of terms that may be ambiguous that could be tripping people up, so if you have a question about a definition (including whether a certain award, prize, competition, etc. constitutes a "major" or "international" one) feel free to ask away.

DreamTrawler

#52 Post by DreamTrawler » Tue May 14, 2024 10:40 pm

Clarification question - for someone to be largely famous for politics/art/music/athletics/writing, but not primarily famous - it still means they achieved some level of renown in the first field right? Like the John Glenn situation mentioned before

Aristocrat

#53 Post by Aristocrat » Tue May 14, 2024 10:50 pm

DreamTrawler wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:40 pm
Clarification question - for someone to be largely famous for politics/art/music/athletics/writing, but not primarily famous - it still means they achieved some level of renown in the first field right? Like the John Glenn situation mentioned before
Yep. To be clear, I think you all have established:

1. Primarily famous for something to do with the arts - something in this bucket is the #1 source of fame
2. Largely famous for something to do with being a politician, writer, visual artist, athlete, or musical artist - they are well known for one or more of these things, but it is / they are not the #1 reason this person is famous.

(clarifications are not being counted towards either the individual or group question limit)

Hominidae

#54 Post by Hominidae » Wed May 15, 2024 12:20 am

Free guess: Arnold Schwarzenegger

Aristocrat

#55 Post by Aristocrat » Wed May 15, 2024 12:36 am

Hominidae wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 12:20 am
And this is it, congrats. As always, Hominidae will be back.

I had a few moments of hesitation: is acting a visual art? According to Wikipedia, no, but filmmaking (production) is so he still counts there, just not as an actor. More famous as a politician, bodybuilder, or actor? Actor seemed the best pick but I could see some dissent (and whether bodybuilding makes one an athlete is another question).

The big one was whether Mr. Olympia is a major international competition - given the reference point was the Nobel prize I decided it didn’t rise to the level of “major,” and it wasn’t on the wiki list I linked, but apologies to anyone who got fooled by that (or his Emmy/Golden Globe wins - which probably are “major” but didn’t seem to be “international,” something I tried to clear up in the thread).

Spartaculous

#56 Post by Spartaculous » Wed May 15, 2024 12:46 am

Aristocrat wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 12:36 am
Hominidae wrote:

I had a few moments of hesitation: is acting a visual art? According to Wikipedia, no, but filmmaking (production) is so he still counts there, just not as an actor. More famous as a politician, bodybuilder, or actor? Actor seemed the best pick but I could see some dissent (and whether bodybuilding makes one an athlete is another question).

The big one was whether Mr. Olympia is a major international competition - given the reference point was the Nobel prize I decided it didn’t rise to the level of “major,” and it wasn’t on the wiki list I linked, but apologies to anyone who got fooled by that (or his Emmy/Golden Globe wins - which probably are “major” but didn’t seem to be “international,” something I tried to clear up in the thread).
Ha! When I was trying to come up with examples of people who were equally famous for two different things (like John Glenn, but more equally balanced in terms of sources of fame), Arnold Schwarzenegger crossed my mind - but not as a potential answer for this round!

Hominidae

#57 Post by Hominidae » Wed May 15, 2024 12:53 am

Fun game! He was definitely on the top of my mind for a while, but I wasn't sure what to make of the Emmys. I've also almost guessed him in at least one round before (it might have been the Ernő Rubik round) and I think it was inevitable that someone would choose him eventually.

DreamTrawler

#58 Post by DreamTrawler » Wed May 15, 2024 12:57 am

Wow, I also had Arnie in mind but couldn’t find the fields I mentioned in his wiki - unless film is the visual art in question. Or I guess photography for bodybuilding.

Aristocrat

#59 Post by Aristocrat » Wed May 15, 2024 1:05 am

DreamTrawler wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 12:57 am
Wow, I also had Arnie in mind but couldn’t find the fields I mentioned in his wiki - unless film is the visual art in question. Or I guess photography for bodybuilding.
Wiki says filmmaking is a visual art (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_arts)

And filmmaker is listed in the first sentence of his wiki bio (he has produced a number of films)

So that’s where I got that. Though wiki at least would differentiate the acting (performing art) from the directing / producing / etc. (visual art).

As a notable subject of photography also maybe counts but that’s more debatable.

Jamiet99uk

#60 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed May 15, 2024 2:21 am

Aristocrat wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 12:36 am
Hominidae wrote:

I do think your answer to this question was wrong.

Perhaps not so wrong as to affect the outcome of the game - so to be clear, I am saying this for future reference - not to dispute the outcome.

Mr Olympia is the professional alternative to Mr Universe (which is an amateurs-only event). At the professional level it is the recognised international title with the highest prestige. The body that promotes it is the IFBB, which stands for International Federation of Body Building. I am puzzled as to how this was not deemed a major international competition. It is an international competition and, in pro bodybuilding, it is the predominant one.
Buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz.