Mafia Life After QuickTopic

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mafia Life After QuickTopic

#21 Post by bo_sox48 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:35 pm

Try whatever service(s) yall want to first and see if they’re a good replacement (or maybe even better than QT) but if it just isn’t working out I can probably build a generic, no-auth, lightweight QuickTopic clone in a couple of days. Or a couple of months at my typical “this side project should take me a couple of days” pace of like 30 minutes a week.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#22 Post by dargorygel » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:48 pm

bo_sox48 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:35 pm
Try whatever service(s) yall want to first and see if they’re a good replacement (or maybe even better than QT) but if it just isn’t working out I can probably build a generic, no-auth, lightweight QuickTopic clone in a couple of days. Or a couple of months at my typical “this side project should take me a couple of days” pace of like 30 minutes a week.
Wow.... that sounds... wowish. I personally like this.

Doom427

#23 Post by Doom427 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:14 pm

I was planning on taking a break from webdip/mafia regardless for a little bit, but discord is just not a forum I like, at all. I don't really want to register for an account, especially at a massive site like that where I would use it for other things too. A replacement site sounds amazing @bo 🥺
But if it ends up just being discord I will probably get struck by the urge to play again at some point and just make an account.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#24 Post by ghug » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:46 pm

bo_sox48 wrote:
One of the advantages of QuickTopic was that its usage was high enough that one couldn't brute force their way to a specific mafia thread without having been given access. This is doable, but I'd hesitate to assume it's trivial.

ChrisVis

#25 Post by ChrisVis » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:59 pm

"Has ChrisVis played forum mafia before?"

No, but I have played live face-to-face Mafia before. I expect Forum Mafia to be better in the sense that it would eliminate cheating (peeping). Cheating always spoils games. But I also expect that Forum Mafia loses some of the tools of persuasion which are available in face-to-face games. Tone of voice can portray or betray emotions like confidence, fear, hostility, better than the written word.

I can see why Mafia appeals to Diplomacy players. There are similar themes.

I'm looking forward to a game!

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#26 Post by Chaqa » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:35 pm

ghug wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:46 pm
bo_sox48 wrote:
One of the advantages of QuickTopic was that its usage was high enough that one couldn't brute force their way to a specific mafia thread without having been given access. This is doable, but I'd hesitate to assume it's trivial.
UUID game thread IDs :shrug:

Fluminator

#27 Post by Fluminator » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:07 am

ghug wrote:
bo_sox48 wrote:
How do you know it couldn't be brute forced? Did you try?

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#28 Post by ghug » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:57 am

Fluminator wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:07 am
ghug wrote:
bo_sox48 wrote:
I believe I tried the first time I was scum because I was skeptical of the system.

Durga

#29 Post by Durga » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:10 am

ghug wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:57 am
Fluminator wrote:
ghug wrote:

I believe I tried the first time I was scum because I was skeptical of the system.
I've tried numerous times as GM just because I was so paranoid

BesharamSabi

#30 Post by BesharamSabi » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:27 am

Doom427 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:14 pm
I was planning on taking a break from webdip/mafia regardless for a little bit, but discord is just not a forum I like, at all. I don't really want to register for an account, especially at a massive site like that where I would use it for other things too. A replacement site sounds amazing @bo 🥺
But if it ends up just being discord I will probably get struck by the urge to play again at some point and just make an account.
Doom you can't quit on mafia as soon as I finally get better at playing it 😡

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#31 Post by bo_sox48 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:34 pm

ghug wrote:
bo_sox48 wrote:
The only real way around that would be forcing people to sign in. It sounds like nobody wants that. Like Chaqa said, a randomized UUID makes it pretty much impossible to just guess a URL but I am open to other suggestions.

I was expecting someone to point out that I could read the database to find different chatrooms and cheat that way, which is a perfectly valid concern. I’m open to suggestions on that end as well, but regardless of any query monitoring or secondary access I grant to someone who could keep an eye on me I don’t think there is any way to make this work without simply asking for everyone to trust me. And I’m me, so that’s a big ask.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#32 Post by Squigs44 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:16 pm

bo_sox48 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:34 pm
ghug wrote:
bo_sox48 wrote:
The only real way around that would be forcing people to sign in. It sounds like nobody wants that. Like Chaqa said, a randomized UUID makes it pretty much impossible to just guess a URL but I am open to other suggestions.

I was expecting someone to point out that I could read the database to find different chatrooms and cheat that way, which is a perfectly valid concern. I’m open to suggestions on that end as well, but regardless of any query monitoring or secondary access I grant to someone who could keep an eye on me I don’t think there is any way to make this work without simply asking for everyone to trust me. And I’m me, so that’s a big ask.
I mean you already have enough access as a webdip admin to read role PMs if you really wanted to, so if you were going to cheat, I dont think this would be the way you'd do it. I also know you well enough to know that you'd never go through that effort just to win an internet mafia game.

Jamiet99uk

#33 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:31 pm

Durga wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:10 am
ghug wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:57 am
Fluminator wrote:

I've tried numerous times as GM just because I was so paranoid
The GM usually has access to the QT.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#34 Post by ghug » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:54 pm

bo_sox48 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:34 pm
ghug wrote:
bo_sox48 wrote:

UUID's aren't cryptographically secure, but yeah, I guess if we're not considering auth there's really no way around that.

I mean you can read webDip's database too, so I'm not too worried about added risk there. You could always never play though.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#35 Post by Chaqa » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:14 pm

FWIW I never liked QT's lack of logging in. I made a QT account many years ago and have been logged into it for 99%+ of my posts. It would get confusing when someone like Maniac would use a completely random name all game and change it often throughout.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#36 Post by dargorygel » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:06 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:14 pm
FWIW I never liked QT's lack of logging in. I made a QT account many years ago and have been logged into it for 99%+ of my posts. It would get confusing when someone like Maniac would use a completely random name all game and change it often throughout.
But didn't that give our special roles hiding ability? Like walkie-talkie?

bozotheclown

#37 Post by bozotheclown » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:21 am

I think xoyondo.com might work.

bozotheclown

#38 Post by bozotheclown » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:29 am

I have set up the following as a test, if anyone wants to try it out.

xoyondo.com/mb/2o1iIKvsd1X5uqM

Bonatogether

#39 Post by Bonatogether » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:17 am

bozotheclown wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:29 am
I have set up the following as a test, if anyone wants to try it out.

xoyondo.com/mb/2o1iIKvsd1X5uqM
i like this

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#40 Post by Chaqa » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:17 am

This might work.