Play Beta

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
David Ridley

Play Beta

#1 Post by David Ridley » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:48 am

Hi, I have not played a game for a while and noticed this Play Beta option which produces an alternative map. What is this? Which version are we playing? The Beta map is not topologically the same as the Classic version.

Sploack

Re: Play Beta

#2 Post by Sploack » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:29 am

It's just a way to input orders by clicking on the map, and it also updates press live (useful in a blitz game). It is the exact same map as in the classic version

David Ridley

#3 Post by David Ridley » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:24 am

Thanks, how come it looks like I can move an army from Syria to Moscow on the Beta map?

Sploack

#4 Post by Sploack » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:29 am

ah, well, I guess it's just for esthetic purposes, don't consider the white part of the map, it doesn't actually exist

SherwoodForest

#5 Post by SherwoodForest » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:44 pm

I'm loving the Play Beta feature. Very easy to use, and the graphical nature makes visualizing the moves a breeze. The ability to quickly traverse the game's timeline is another big bonus. I've been playing a lot of Solo games to judge how well the AI functions (from the perspective of a software developer who dabbles in machine learning). I am impressed, especially when compared to how poorly AI opponents in previous attempts played (decades ago). I can complete a game during lunch, giving a nice diversion from work.