Austria vs Bots

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
georgefc3

Re: Austria vs Bots

#121 Post by georgefc3 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:47 pm

My moves went well.... I moved on to builds.

I am at 17 now, should be able to hold everything I have. Italy disbanded in Turkey, so no worries there.

The only thing that could possibly stop a solo this turn is if England moves to Livonia and Prussia and cut my support from Prussia.

Quick link:

https://webdiplomacy.net/map.php?gameID ... Type=large

georgefc3

#122 Post by georgefc3 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:49 pm

Moves, quick

Move to TYS and WES M to block possible French moves. Move to Naples for the build and Aeg and then Ion in the fall from Con.

The armies are basically holding. A half fake on Munich, a move on St. Pete which should fail. Move to Serb and Galicia.

We should be good.

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#123 Post by Trigfea63 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:33 pm

DougJoe wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:13 pm
The moves I have saved at this point are as follows:
Bar S StP
StP S (G) Pru-Liv (don't expect this to do anything, but why not?)
NTH -> ENC -> Bre S MAO
Gas -> Mar S Spa
WMS -> GOL

It's not... great. I certainly won't lose anything this turn (except possibly WMS and that would come at the cost of Mar) but I'm not guaranteed to gain anything, either. Still thinking about it.
If you go for Brest this turn, maybe you want to order GAS-->PAR to cut support? If I had to guess Germany's orders, I would guess BUR-->PIC, RUH-->BUR, to set up to take Paris in the fall. I don't know that you can count on him to tap Paris this turn.

An alternative could be MAO-->N. Africa, ENG-->MAO, NTH-->ENG, and take your shot at MAR in the south. (France could order TUN-->NAF and block the whole English fleet procession, but that doesn't seem too likely with England in WES and Turkey in ION.) If the MAR move succeeds, you might still capture Brest in the fall if Germany attacks Paris. You'd also have possibilities with Tunis in the fall.

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#124 Post by Trigfea63 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:37 pm

georgefc3 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:47 pm
My moves went well.... I moved on to builds.

I am at 17 now, should be able to hold everything I have. Italy disbanded in Turkey, so no worries there.

The only thing that could possibly stop a solo this turn is if England moves to Livonia and Prussia and cut my support from Prussia.

Quick link:

Congrats, it looks like you're in position for the win this year! The chances of England moving to Livonia, then Prussia are basically zero.

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#125 Post by Trigfea63 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:45 pm

In T-0128, things went pretty much as expected in S '04. France retreated to Portugal, setting up a guessing game for the fall. Italy captured Vienna. Turkey might find it slow going against both Russia and Italy.

DougJoe

#126 Post by DougJoe » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:27 pm

Trigfea63 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:45 pm
In T-0128, things went pretty much as expected in S '04. France retreated to Portugal, setting up a guessing game for the fall. Italy captured Vienna. Turkey might find it slow going against both Russia and Italy.

Germany also supported you in both Nwy and NTH.

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#127 Post by Trigfea63 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:02 pm

DougJoe wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:27 pm
Trigfea63 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:45 pm

Germany also supported you in both Nwy and NTH.
Doh! You're right. :o Always look at the large map ...

georgefc3

#128 Post by georgefc3 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:18 pm

Trig writes:

Congrats, it looks like you're in position for the win this year! The chances of England moving to Livonia, then Prussia are basically zero.
Right you are.... Here is the current map:

I have Naples - that makes 18. I could just hold and win... (I won't do that)

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#129 Post by Trigfea63 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:43 am

georgefc3 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:18 pm

Trig writes:

Minimalist theory would suggest PRU and SIL S BER, and others hold. ;) Not bad to be able to do that on the final turn.

DougJoe

#130 Post by DougJoe » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:19 am

georgefc3 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:18 pm

Trig writes:

Congrats!

georgefc3

#131 Post by georgefc3 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:54 am

Trig writes:
Minimalist theory would suggest PRU and SIL S BER, and others hold. ;) Not bad to be able to do that on the final turn.
Yeah, not a subscriber to minimalist theory.

Here is the final map:

Note that if the game played on I would be able to get Portugal and likely Spain in the next season. I would also have five fleets including three in the Atlantic. So Austria as the world's dominant naval power.

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#132 Post by Trigfea63 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:04 pm

Well done!

DougJoe

#133 Post by DougJoe » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:28 pm

Trigfea63 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:33 pm
DougJoe wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:13 pm
The moves I have saved at this point are as follows:
Bar S StP
StP S (G) Pru-Liv (don't expect this to do anything, but why not?)
NTH -> ENC -> Bre S MAO
Gas -> Mar S Spa
WMS -> GOL

It's not... great. I certainly won't lose anything this turn (except possibly WMS and that would come at the cost of Mar) but I'm not guaranteed to gain anything, either. Still thinking about it.
If you go for Brest this turn, maybe you want to order GAS-->PAR to cut support? If I had to guess Germany's orders, I would guess BUR-->PIC, RUH-->BUR, to set up to take Paris in the fall. I don't know that you can count on him to tap Paris this turn.

An alternative could be MAO-->N. Africa, ENG-->MAO, NTH-->ENG, and take your shot at MAR in the south. (France could order TUN-->NAF and block the whole English fleet procession, but that doesn't seem too likely with England in WES and Turkey in ION.) If the MAR move succeeds, you might still capture Brest in the fall if Germany attacks Paris. You'd also have possibilities with Tunis in the fall.
I had previously considered moving the fleets farther south, as well as convoying Denmark to either Brest or Picardy. In the end, I left the attack on Mar and did move into Naf and move the other fleets forwards, as I think the forward position is more important than the immediate centers.

The results were interesting.

Germany moved Bur->Par (which I wondered if he would do) and I would have gotten Bre if I had attacked it, but that's ok, because I can probably force Tunis *and* I got into Mar because France played very passively (I was expecting France to play GoL->Spa S Mar). I can take another shot at Bre with ENC and MAO, no reason not to, maybe Germany will hit Paris again.

Germany moved out of Kie (nice) and got into Warsaw, but Russia can force it back (not that he will). Russia moved out of Livonia so there might be a possibility later of getting more armies over there, but not getting my hopes up.

Turkey convoyed to Apu (not surprised) and will probably force Naples and try for Trieste...

I think it's me vs. Turkey at this point.

DougJoe

#134 Post by DougJoe » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:32 pm

DougJoe wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:28 pm

I had previously considered moving the fleets farther south, as well as convoying Denmark to either Brest or Picardy. In the end, I left the attack on Mar and did move into Naf and move the other fleets forwards, as I think the forward position is more important than the immediate centers.

The results were interesting.

Germany moved Bur->Par (which I wondered if he would do) and I would have gotten Bre if I had attacked it, but that's ok, because I can probably force Tunis *and* I got into Mar because France played very passively (I was expecting France to play GoL->Spa S Mar). I can take another shot at Bre with ENC and MAO, no reason not to, maybe Germany will hit Paris again.

Germany moved out of Kie (nice) and got into Warsaw, but Russia can force it back (not that he will). Russia moved out of Livonia so there might be a possibility later of getting more armies over there, but not getting my hopes up.

Turkey convoyed to Apu (not surprised) and will probably force Naples and try for Trieste...

I think it's me vs. Turkey at this point.
So the follow up is pretty straight forward for the fall:
ENC->Bre S MAO,
Bar S Stp (not needed but it's habit now, and I don't want to move the fleet out of Bar... yet)
Spa S Mar
WMS->Tun S Naf
Den H

DougJoe

#135 Post by DougJoe » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:55 pm

DougJoe wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:32 pm

So the follow up is pretty straight forward for the fall:
ENC->Bre S MAO,
Bar S Stp (not needed but it's habit now, and I don't want to move the fleet out of Bar... yet)
Spa S Mar
WMS->Tun S Naf
Den H
And that sort of went as expected?
I was wrong about Germany and Bur, he supported Mar (not needed, Mr. German bot, but thanks?). He did hold War as Russia didn't force War back - Russia used Boh to take Vie and tried to sneak into Berlin (which, personally I think is silly but that's just me.) Russia is net zero, Germany is +1. Turkey did take both Tri and Naples and is +2. Italy did not defend Rome, France moved in. France is -2, Italy and Austria are both eliminated.

I think it's two more fleets for this build phase, based on the needs in the Med. Brest is just going to have to wait, unfortunately.

DougJoe

#136 Post by DougJoe » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:32 pm

DougJoe wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:55 pm

I was wrong about Germany and Bur, he supported Mar (not needed, Mr. German bot, but thanks?). He did hold War as Russia didn't force War back - Russia used Boh to take Vie and tried to sneak into Berlin (which, personally I think is silly but that's just me.) Russia is net zero, Germany is +1. Turkey did take both Tri and Naples and is +2. Italy did not defend Rome, France moved in. France is -2, Italy and Austria are both eliminated.

I think it's two more fleets for this build phase, based on the needs in the Med. Brest is just going to have to wait, unfortunately.
Went ahead and made the Spring moves, which were as follows:
Mar->Pie (yes, I left Mar open but not worried about it for now)
MAO->Naf
WMS->GoL
Spa->WMS
ENC->MAO
Lon->ENC
Edi->NTH

Russia took War back. Turkey took Rome (although with an army, not a fleet, which is good for me, although he can move things around to get it fleet in easily enough.) Germany is almost entirely in no-man's land and has setup to take Paris. Fall thoughts to come later.

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#137 Post by Trigfea63 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:44 pm

DougJoe wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:32 pm
DougJoe wrote:

MAO->Naf
WMS->GoL
Spa->WMS
ENC->MAO
Lon->ENC
Edi->NTH

Russia took War back. Turkey took Rome (although with an army, not a fleet, which is good for me, although he can move things around to get it fleet in easily enough.) Germany is almost entirely in no-man's land and has setup to take Paris. Fall thoughts to come later.
Nicely done! Sorry if I threw you off Brest last spring. Maybe it's just as well, you might be better off having secured Tunis. At this point the Med looks pretty well settled. You've got a lock on Tunis. The Turk has Italy pretty much under control. Maybe you could make a run at Rome and Naples, but it won't be easy. It seems you will need to take most or all of Germany to get to 18. The tricky part is how (and when) to stab without giving Russia a free run to Berlin and/or Munich. Maybe Turkey will stab Russia? That would be very helpful.

DougJoe

#138 Post by DougJoe » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:21 pm

Trigfea63 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:44 pm
DougJoe wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:32 pm
DougJoe wrote:

MAO->Naf
WMS->GoL
Spa->WMS
ENC->MAO
Lon->ENC
Edi->NTH

Nicely done! Sorry if I threw you off Brest last spring. Maybe it's just as well, you might be better off having secured Tunis. At this point the Med looks pretty well settled. You've got a lock on Tunis. The Turk has Italy pretty much under control. Maybe you could make a run at Rome and Naples, but it won't be easy. It seems you will need to take most or all of Germany to get to 18. The tricky part is how (and when) to stab without giving Russia a free run to Berlin and/or Munich. Maybe Turkey will stab Russia? That would be very helpful.
No, that's fine - moving forward was the right thing to do to wall off the Mediterranean. Brest wasn't going anywhere. I'm pretty sure it's not the first time I've passed up Bre/Par to get south faster.

I have played out this same scenario before of having to hollow out Germany from behind while keeping the eastern powers at bay. It can be done. It's much easier than it could be since he has no fleets to counterattack.

For the fall, I ended up convoying Den to Bre and since Germany hit Par, I got it. I also got into TYS, which I wasn't expecting. Helps keep Turkey at bay longer.

georgefc3

#139 Post by georgefc3 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:18 pm

Doug...

It looks like you have a good position. You and Germany have 18 centers to 16 for Russia and Turkey. It looks like you can hold him in TYS/TUN also.

You guys are on the right side of stalemate lines, having St. Pete, Munich, Berlin, Portugal and Tunis.

The question is... If Turkey and Russia stay solid, can you break through and gain more centers?

And... You have lots of experience.... Are they likely to stab each other????

Here is a link to the map:

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#140 Post by Trigfea63 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:35 pm

georgefc3 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:18 pm
And... You have lots of experience.... Are they likely to stab each other????
I agree. Doug, you've played these bots many times. If I have something to add, well, you've probably noticed, I'm not shy about chiming in. But mostly it will be fun to see how you handle the rest of the game.
DougJoe wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:21 pm
I also got into TYS, which I wasn't expecting. Helps keep Turkey at bay longer.
Things could get messy if/when Turkey moves to Tyrolia, but otherwise he's pretty well bottled up.