Accusation of Cheating

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Post Reply
Message
Author
cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:52 pm
Karma: 192

Accusation of Cheating

#1 Post by cdngooner » Fri May 13, 2022 11:14 am

Are there rules about using press to falsely accuse a player of cheating? One player did in my game, and I'm steaming about it. The obvious intent is to use the allegation of cheating to build up an alliance against the alleged cheaters. If it was a bone fide allegation, they would have taken the accusation to the mods for action.

What should I do?

https://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?game ... #gamePanel

I realize I am outing myself as one of the anonymous players, but feel this requires immediate action.
1

GracchusBabeuf
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:13 pm
Karma: 51

Re: Accusation of Cheating

#2 Post by GracchusBabeuf » Fri May 13, 2022 1:48 pm

cdngooner wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:14 am
Are there rules about using press to falsely accuse a player of cheating? One player did in my game, and I'm steaming about it. The obvious intent is to use the allegation of cheating to build up an alliance against the alleged cheaters. If it was a bone fide allegation, they would have taken the accusation to the mods for action.

What should I do?

https://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?game ... #gamePanel

I realize I am outing myself as one of the anonymous players, but feel this requires immediate action.
This happened to me on playdip, the offending accuser was quickly ganged up on and removed from the game. Personally it doesn't bother me that much due to what you mentioned: if it was a credible accusation it should be taken to the mods. If as much is stated the other players should agree and if there is really suspicion about there being cheating the game can be paused while it is reviewed or something. If the person contacts the mods about cheating and the accusation was obviously in poor sportsmanship, that player might face an issue. Whatever the case, if the other players are reasonable it shouldn't be an issue, if they aren't, that particular game isn't worth playing.
1

GracchusBabeuf
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:13 pm
Karma: 51

Re: Accusation of Cheating

#3 Post by GracchusBabeuf » Fri May 13, 2022 1:52 pm

Checked the game and agree with the Russian player that it probably shouldn't have been made a forum post (though I completely understand where you're coming from). Clearly that England was just going for a cheap shot and was rightfully shut down by the other players...also though what was that Austria thinking letting you have all of those centers with no compensation?
1

Wusti
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:12 pm
Karma: 190

Re: Accusation of Cheating

#4 Post by Wusti » Fri May 13, 2022 3:18 pm

Any and everything is fair game in press to put your opponents off, you just have to remember Newton's Third Law. Coming to the forums instead of the mods is exactly the wrong way to deal with this. There are many brighter and better ones. Use your imagination.
1
Octavious is an hypocritical, supercilious tit.

Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:44 pm
Karma: 283
Contact:

Re: Accusation of Cheating

#5 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Fri May 13, 2022 3:42 pm

For the full benefit of onlookers, there is a site rule against this:
Site Rule #5: Do not use the software or moderators as a diplomacy tactic

Lying is fine in Diplomacy except when it gives mods/admins unnecessary work to do!

Falsely accusing someone of being a multi-accounter/meta-gaming to rally others against them in a game, or claiming that your orders didn't come out the way you entered them to cover up your motives, means mods/admins spend time looking for cheaters/bugs which were made up.

All accusations against other players must be made directly to the mod/admin team directly as specified below, in private, for this reason, and software bug claims must be genuine, even if only told to another player. Avoid making cheating accusations in game, via pm, or on the forum.
As always, this is also a good time to review the Site Rules for everyone!
4

GracchusBabeuf
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:13 pm
Karma: 51

Re: Accusation of Cheating

#6 Post by GracchusBabeuf » Fri May 13, 2022 4:38 pm

Wusti wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:18 pm
Any and everything is fair game in press to put your opponents off, you just have to remember Newton's Third Law. Coming to the forums instead of the mods is exactly the wrong way to deal with this. There are many brighter and better ones. Use your imagination.
Not according to the site rules, plus such accusations are in poor taste and carry very little weight.
2

JECE
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:35 pm
Karma: 122
Contact:

Re: Accusation of Cheating

#7 Post by JECE » Fri May 13, 2022 5:38 pm

Peregrine Falcon wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:42 pm
For the full benefit of onlookers, there is a site rule against this:
Site Rule #5: Do not use the software or moderators as a diplomacy tactic

Lying is fine in Diplomacy except when it gives mods/admins unnecessary work to do!

Falsely accusing someone of being a multi-accounter/meta-gaming to rally others against them in a game, or claiming that your orders didn't come out the way you entered them to cover up your motives, means mods/admins spend time looking for cheaters/bugs which were made up.

All accusations against other players must be made directly to the mod/admin team directly as specified below, in private, for this reason, and software bug claims must be genuine, even if only told to another player. Avoid making cheating accusations in game, via pm, or on the forum.
As always, this is also a good time to review the Site Rules for everyone!
Also for the benefit of onlookers, there is a rule against breaking press rules:
Site Rule #3: Don't break game messaging/press rules.

If you enter a game with limited press/messaging (such as global-only) then you can't use other methods such as the forum, email, or PM to bypass this.

If you are playing in a gunboat (no press/anon game) do not post anything about your game in the forum and refrain from posting in any threads you feel might be referencing your game.

Using the Pause or Cancel buttons as signals to other players is violating the press rules. For example, voting pause to signal the desire for a smaller draw is not allowed. If you need a pause in a gunboat game contact the moderators (see below for the contact details) and explain why.

Posting in the forum about an ongoing gunboat (no press) game or a limited press game is not allowed for anyone. This includes offering advice to game participants or predicting the outcome of a game. All questions about a gunboat game must wait until the game is completed.
1
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

JECE
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:35 pm
Karma: 122
Contact:

Re: Accusation of Cheating

#8 Post by JECE » Fri May 13, 2022 5:46 pm

The Forum Rules are also very clear on both questions:
5. Do not break press rules
Because press in gunboat games, rulebook press games, and public press games is restricted, discussing them on the forum while they are being played can jeopardise the fairness of the game and, if done by a player in the game, can classify as working around press restrictions. Even in an effort to draw or cancel a game, posting about an ongoing gunboat game is prohibited. If a player is stalemated and refuses to draw or refuses to unpause a paused game, please email the moderators at webdipmod@gmail.com.

6. Do not make public cheating accusations
Cheating accusations should not be made publicly on the forums, in games, or via PM. Instead, reports of potential cheating should be sent directly to the moderators at webdipmod@gmail.com with a specific summary of the situation and the players you believe are working around the rules.
1
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

Doom427
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:54 am
Karma: 1000

Re: Accusation of Cheating

#9 Post by Doom427 » Fri May 13, 2022 6:23 pm

I don't know if this would count as breaking press rules-Choosing to deanonymize yourself is perfectly valid, and it's a full press game. The rules even specify that you can't post to the forums about a gunboat or a limited press game, so seems this is perfectly legal.
(Unless I misunderstand your point)
3

jmo1121109
Developer
Developer
Posts: 1088
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:20 pm
Karma: 2905
Contact:

Re: Accusation of Cheating

#10 Post by jmo1121109 » Sat May 14, 2022 7:32 am

Breaking anon is not against our site rules. Cheating accusations in a game chat is against the rules. The game in question is not restricted so anyone can post about it if they so wish. Nobody in that game is cheating. I think we can probably let this thread die a natural death now.
4
Lead WebDip Dev, please email bug reports to webdipmod@gmail.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest