The Carebear Conundrum

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Wusti

Re: The Carebear Conundrum

#41 Post by Wusti » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:56 am

tr1285 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:37 pm
It seems like the best strategy for dealing with carebears is to:
1. Identify them
2. Pretend to be one and form a "carebear alliance"
3. Stab them at the end for the win.

Why can't that work?
Frankly, I think it is the only viable solution. True carebears will always leave themselves open to a stab at some point. A few lessons usually disabuses of the notion that it is intelligent play.
Octavious is an hypocritical, supercilious tit.

PRINCE WILLIAM

#42 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:05 am

Do you realise that if you have it your way, it will diminish the number of game players?

Octavious

#43 Post by Octavious » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:59 pm

I suspect not. I think that removing carebears would improve the gaming experience considerably, leading to an increase in the number of game players.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Gabe The Fancy

#44 Post by Gabe The Fancy » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:29 pm

PRINCE WILLIAM wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:05 am
Do you realise that if you have it your way, it will diminish the number of game players?
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Johnny Big Horse
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#45 Post by Johnny Big Horse » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:36 pm

Wusti wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:56 am
tr1285 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:37 pm
It seems like the best strategy for dealing with carebears is to:
1. Identify them
2. Pretend to be one and form a "carebear alliance"
3. Stab them at the end for the win.

Why can't that work?
Frankly, I think it is the only viable solution. True carebears will always leave themselves open to a stab at some point. A few lessons usually disabuses of the notion that it is intelligent play.
Wusti is exactly right. You guys who don't like playing with us need to devise clever means of kicking our asses. Wusti may have your answer. When you find us, kill us. That is your game. You can be carebear terminators. Meanwhile, we in the resistance will try to kill you.

Johnny Big Horse
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#46 Post by Johnny Big Horse » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:38 pm

I think you guys complaining about the existence of carebears is the equivalent of old school NBA players complaining about the new way basketball is played with all the 3 point shooting. It is just whining.

Find us and kill us. That is all you have to do.

Gabe The Fancy

#47 Post by Gabe The Fancy » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:06 pm

Johnny Big Horse wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:38 pm
I think you guys complaining about the existence of carebears is the equivalent of old school NBA players complaining about the new way basketball is played with all the 3 point shooting. It is just whining.

I don't know what that first part means. So far as the second part - I've made my strategy for dealing with quasi-cheating Carebears. I'll throw the game to the larger member of the alliance. If I'm going down then I might as well take someone with me. Besides that it's incredibly difficult to dislodge a two person carebare alliance once its formed - especially if it's something like France & England.

Wusti

#48 Post by Wusti » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:04 pm

Johnny Big Horse wrote:

I see what you are getting at here, but it is a very poor analogy.

This is the bit you got right:
Johnny Big Horse wrote:
It is just whining.

Fixed.

Prague

#49 Post by Prague » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:25 pm

I think Carebearing is a strategy like any other strategy, people do it because they find it fun and effective. There is only one way to stop people doing it, showing that it is in fact not effective and or not fun. It is pointless just telling people to stop, as they have no incentive to stop. I liked the comment which recommended setting up non-carebear lobbies for those who REALLY hate it and, if you do that, there is no reason to dislike those who do it, they are just different. At least, that is my point of view.

Octavious

#50 Post by Octavious » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:31 pm

It's not effective by definition. If you don't try win you don't win.

Prague

#51 Post by Prague » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:53 pm

It depends on how they want to play the game. I think we can all agree that people shouldn't be FORCED to play in certain ways, only unincentivized, or else you will just push people away.

Octavious

#52 Post by Octavious » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:13 am

You think we can all agree on that? Have you not read any of the previous posts in this thread? Players willfully ignoring the object of the game is at the heart of the disagreement.

Johnny Big Horse
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#53 Post by Johnny Big Horse » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:11 pm

Octavious wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:13 am
You think we can all agree on that? Have you not read any of the previous posts in this thread? Players willfully ignoring the object of the game is at the heart of the disagreement.
Not everyone plays basketball to win. Some play to sharpen their skills, or to impress other people. Should they not be allowed to play?

Johnny Big Horse
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#54 Post by Johnny Big Horse » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:16 pm

One last point... The world is as it is. We can yell and scream about the cold, rain and mud, focusing on how bad things are, or we can accept that this is indeed how it is, and wear the right clothes and stay dry and do what we want to do. People who whine about the conditions in world never get anywhere. They just stay miserable. Those who accept that it is what it is, make plans to deal with it, and often end up getting what they want.

This argument about carebears is just a subset of people whining and not accepting reality and crafting a reality that meets their needs. Quit whining and just kill the carebears. It is very simple.

Prague

#55 Post by Prague » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:17 pm

:? That seems silly to me. If you force everyone to play the way you want them to play, not only will people lose interest and stop playing, but you will also stop any innovation and so no-one would ever have any reason to stop carebearing other than other people forcing them to one way or another.

Edit: Look two up for what I am responding to. Someone was typing at the same time.

Octavious

#56 Post by Octavious » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:38 am

Johnny Big Horse wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:11 pm
Octavious wrote:
Not everyone plays basketball to win. Some play to sharpen their skills, or to impress other people. Should they not be allowed to play?
If you are not trying to win whilst playing on a team of others who are then you are a selfish tit who has no business being there and will get thrown off the team. If you are thinking of someone on a basketball court who is just shooting hoops because they like to shoot hoops, that's absolutely fine. But what they are doing is shooting hoops, not playing a game of basketball.

eitchmann

#57 Post by eitchmann » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:28 pm

Johnny Big Horse wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:09 pm
According to your worldview, the Americans should have turned on the French, then the British, after Germany and Japan were vanquished in WWII.
In real life, warfare isn't the only way of attacking someone. America helped and encouraged the downfall of the French and British empires, together with the Soviet Union. That is one of the things they could agree upon.

Wusti

#58 Post by Wusti » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:06 pm

eitchmann wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:28 pm
Johnny Big Horse wrote:
According to your worldview, the Americans should have turned on the French, then the British, after Germany and Japan were vanquished in WWII.
In real life, warfare isn't the only way of attacking someone. America helped and encouraged the downfall of the French and British empires, together with the Soviet Union. That is one of the things they could agree upon.
Actually they should've collectively taken out Russia, and then sorted it out.

Johnny Big Horse
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#59 Post by Johnny Big Horse » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:05 pm

eitchmann wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:28 pm
Johnny Big Horse wrote:
Nice comment.

Johnny Big Horse
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#60 Post by Johnny Big Horse » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:07 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:38 am
Johnny Big Horse wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:11 pm
Octavious wrote:
If you are not trying to win whilst playing on a team of others who are then you are a selfish tit who has no business being there and will get thrown off the team. If you are thinking of someone on a basketball court who is just shooting hoops because they like to shoot hoops, that's absolutely fine. But what they are doing is shooting hoops, not playing a game of basketball.
So really it just comes down to name calling huh? That is what people do when they don't have an argument. I could do it too, but I won't, because I have an argument.