All Diplomacy Scoring Stinks

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
jasnah

Re: All Diplomacy Scoring Stinks

#81 Post by jasnah » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:48 pm

ben9990 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:38 pm
FtF games are time-limited. Totally different objective, totally different game, so makes sense for them to be scored differently.

Online, here, solos should be rewarded far in excess of center count. You have to take risks and clear milestones to solo (like sending that fleet across the stalemate line to take Tunis early, when you *really* need it to fight England right now) that "board-topping" does not require. At very least, WTA version of PPSC i hope.
Yes, as I wrote, 34 points for soloing and everyone else gets nothing, else points = no of SC. Easy to calculate and rewards solos in similar proportion to draw results as does DSS.

jay65536

Re: All Diplomacy Scoring Stinks

#82 Post by jay65536 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:26 pm

The WDC system was not strictly center-based. It was very close but not quite. And it was non-zero-sum. I think it was something like:

-Loss before (or at) 1910 is worth one-tenth of a point per year survived.
-Draw at 1910 is worth 1 point per center plus a flat 3 extra points.
-Board top is worth 4.8 extra points.
-Solo is worth 42 points with everyone else getting points for a loss.

They multiplied those numbers by 10 to keep everything a whole number, but that’s the system. It is primarily center-based, secondarily rank-based, and it discourages draw-whittling by having a flat bonus for a draw instead of one that scales with draw size.