49 games against bots results

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Post Reply
Message
Author
FxFocus
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:58 pm
Karma: 21

49 games against bots results

#1 Post by FxFocus » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:09 am

I just finished playing each country 7 times against bots. The results are not by any means a scientific analysis but are presented for general interest.

The columns are respectively... S=Survived, E=Eliminated, W=Win and D=Draw.

Interestingly one Bot managed to solo in one of the games.

Code: Select all

		S	E	W	D
England			2	1	4
France				4	3
Italy			1	2	4
Germany		1	1		5
Austria			2	2	3
Turkey					7
Russia			1	1	5
				
Totals	1	7	10	31
		2%	14%	20%	63%
2

Swede03
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:27 pm
Karma: 21

Re: 49 games against bots results

#2 Post by Swede03 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:41 am

I've played 120 bot games and I am quite surprise that you did not win with Germany or Turkey. I find those two the easiest. Here is my tier list:
Germany
Turkey
France
After these three there is a big dropoff
Italy
England
Russia
Austria

FxFocus
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:58 pm
Karma: 21

Re: 49 games against bots results

#3 Post by FxFocus » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:56 pm

Even 49 games is a small sample statistically speaking so could be just a fluke.

I've played a lot more bot games previously but I can't find any way to access them via search? This is one of the reasons I did this to try to get some context.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer
Posts: 3722
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:50 pm
Location: OKC
Karma: 1973

Re: 49 games against bots results

#4 Post by Squigs44 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:25 pm

This search should give you what you need.
1

DougJoe
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 pm
Location: Alto, MI, USA
Karma: 57

Re: 49 games against bots results

#5 Post by DougJoe » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:52 pm

I just finished game number 56 against the bots last night (8 as each power):

The short version:
Austria: 2 W (25%), 3 D (37.5%), 1 S (12.5 %), 2 E (25%)
England: 2 W (25%), 3 D (37.5%), 2 S (25 %), 1 E (12.5%)
France: 3 W (37.5%), 4 D (50%), 1 S (12.5%), 0 E (0%)
Germany: 4 W (50%), 2 D (25%), 0 S (0%), 2 E (25%)
Italy: 6 W (75%), 0 D (0%), 0 S (0%), 2 E (25%)
Russia: 2 W (25%), 3 D (37.5%), 3 S (37.5%), 0 E (0%)
Turkey: 2 W (25%), 2 D (25%), 3 S (37.5%), 1 E (12.5%)

Totals: 21 W (37.5%), 17 D (30.4%), 10 S (19.2%), 8 E (14.3%)

So for me, Italy is the powerhouse, although I am surprised that France and Turkey aren't a little better.
1

Swede03
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:27 pm
Karma: 21

Re: 49 games against bots results

#6 Post by Swede03 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:28 pm

What's the secret to Italy? They are one of the countries I still struggle with.

FxFocus
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:58 pm
Karma: 21

Re: 49 games against bots results

#7 Post by FxFocus » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:19 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:25 pm
This search should give you what you need.
Thanks that worked and in my case returned over 200 results but not in a very useful format. So for example if I want to know how many times I played turkey and how many of those I won I would have to go through all the results manually.

I hope this does not make me sound ungrateful because I'm happy that I do at least have access to the data I need. so Thanks again :-)

DougJoe
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 pm
Location: Alto, MI, USA
Karma: 57

Re: 49 games against bots results

#8 Post by DougJoe » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:25 pm

FxFocus wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:19 pm
Squigs44 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:25 pm
This search should give you what you need.
Thanks that worked and in my case returned over 200 results but not in a very useful format. So for example if I want to know how many times I played turkey and how many of those I won I would have to go through all the results manually.

I hope this does not make me sound ungrateful because I'm happy that I do at least have access to the data I need. so Thanks again :-)
I've been keeping a spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing) and I update it as I go. One of the things that I started doing (but haven't backfilled all of them yet) is making a link to each game so I can find them faster if I want to review. It's got some calculation/automation in it but not as much as it could - someday I will turn it into a "real" database so I can do all that through queries and such.
1

DougJoe
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 pm
Location: Alto, MI, USA
Karma: 57

Re: 49 games against bots results

#9 Post by DougJoe » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:15 pm

Swede03 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:28 pm
What's the secret to Italy? They are one of the countries I still struggle with.
I don't know if it's a secret, but each of the eight times I've played as Italy I've gone after Turkey. I have yet to start an Italy game by either going after France or Austria right out of the gate. (Had a game recently where I was France and Italy tried to attack me right away and, while I didn't get anywhere, neither did he - Austria stabbed him hard at the end to win.)

The six solos:
http://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=250204
(Stabbed Austria in 05, although he defended against half of it)
http://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=253124
(Didn't get into Smy until 1906. Luckily the north was locked. Stabbed Austria soon after.)
http://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=271181
(Ended up being Italy vs. Russia in the south and in Iberia! Didn't actually attack the remnants of Austria until 1913.)
http://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=274741
(Stabbed Austria in 1907)
http://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=296901
(Austria tried to attack me in 1904. I blocked it. It was a dogfight after that, but I managed. Didn't get Ankara until 1915!)
http://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=311218
(This was the one I finished last night. Austria helped me into Turkey, an E/F formed, got attacked by France in 1904 but did well enough in Turkey that I was able to push France back. Had 3 armies sitting over in Turkey not doing much... :? I got into Mar and Spa, but England (the board leader) took Brest. I decided to attack Austria in F1901, and from that point on almost nothing I did was resisted by Austria. Was able to hollow him out for the win without England winning.)

The two defeats:
http://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=293225
(France attacked hard early - Spring 1902 - and I abandoned attacking Turkey to defend)
http://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=306483
(The only one of the 8 where I was on the losing end of a stab by Austria and I think the only time he tried to stab other than 296901)
2

FxFocus
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:58 pm
Karma: 21

Re: 49 games against bots results

#10 Post by FxFocus » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:13 pm

DougJoe wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:25 pm
I've been keeping a spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing) and I update it as I go. One of the things that I started doing (but haven't backfilled all of them yet) is making a link to each game so I can find them faster if I want to review. It's got some calculation/automation in it but not as much as it could - someday I will turn it into a "real" database so I can do all that through queries and such.
Love your spreadsheet. I did one for my 49 games but yours is much more comprehensive. I will do one similar to yours next time. :-)
1

DougJoe
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 pm
Location: Alto, MI, USA
Karma: 57

Re: 49 games against bots results

#11 Post by DougJoe » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:06 pm

FxFocus wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:13 pm
DougJoe wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:25 pm
I've been keeping a spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing) and I update it as I go. One of the things that I started doing (but haven't backfilled all of them yet) is making a link to each game so I can find them faster if I want to review. It's got some calculation/automation in it but not as much as it could - someday I will turn it into a "real" database so I can do all that through queries and such.
Love your spreadsheet. I did one for my 49 games but yours is much more comprehensive. I will do one similar to yours next time. :-)
Thanks, I keep making little improvements, although it's getting the point where I should take a break from playing and do some of the bigger changes I have been thinking about... I'm up to 77 games completed vs. bots now (11 as each power). Italy is still my clear leader, with F/G/T sort of in the middle spot and A/E/R all at the back.

The quick view (Wins, Draws, Survivals, Eliminations):
A: 2 W (18%), 3 D, 1 S, 5 E
E: 2 W (18%), 4 D, 2 S, 3 E
F: 5 W (45%), 4 D, 1 S, 1 E
G: 5 W (45%), 3 D, 0 S, 3 E
I: 8 W (73%), 0 D, 0 S, 3 E
R: 2 W (18%), 3 D, 4 S, 2 E
T: 5 W (45%), 2 D, 3 S, 1 E

...that makes a total of 29 solos out of 77 games, which is 38.67%.

By average center count (which may not be the best metric), for me it's I, T, F, G, E, R, A.
1

Egathetos
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:45 pm

Re: 49 games against bots results

#12 Post by Egathetos » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:17 pm

Immature, but I've just got to share it. An even more childish question follows.

I just won my first bot game playing as Germany v Italy.
Does it mean that I am getting better or am I getting luckier?

PRINCE WILLIAM
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:17 am
Karma: 772

Re: 49 games against bots results

#13 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:49 pm

Probably both.
Αre you Greek?

lfischl
Posts: 470
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 2:43 pm
Location: The area by the bay
Karma: 371

Re: 49 games against bots results

#14 Post by lfischl » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:07 am

Swede03 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:41 am
I've played 120 bot games and I am quite surprise that you did not win with Germany or Turkey. I find those two the easiest. Here is my tier list:
Germany
Turkey
France
After these three there is a big dropoff
Italy
England
Russia
Austria
really? I can solo or get a high center count with Italy most of the time. My list would look somewhat like this

Italy(lepanto then stab after taking turkey)
France(F-G alliance then stab)
Germany(E-G alliance then stab)
England(if you ally germany)
Turkey(if no lepanto)
Russia(ur fucked no matter what)
Austria(bot never does lepanto)

Egathetos
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:45 pm

Re: 49 games against bots results

#15 Post by Egathetos » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:26 pm

PRINCE WILLIAM wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:49 pm
Probably both.
Αre you Greek?
Does it affect the way one plays Diplomacy?

Claesar
Posts: 1932
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:34 am
Karma: 1450

Re: 49 games against bots results

#16 Post by Claesar » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:16 am

Egathetos wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:26 pm
PRINCE WILLIAM wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:49 pm
Probably both.
Αre you Greek?
Does it affect the way one plays Diplomacy?
No, but he's Greek. Your username looks Greek. You know.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests