January Ghost Ratings Published

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Message
Author
CAPT Brad
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:12 pm
Location: Long Beach, California
Karma: 2

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#21 Post by CAPT Brad » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:12 pm

Durgastly fact is high GR's are timid players who in their incestial manner play only with themselves (among themselves for mods with dirty minds). they fear to play against others of lesser games or ratings worried that someone new may get into their party. as for me i fear no one and stand ready to give anyone a sever beating in any game at anytime. :o

Durga
Posts: 8673
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:01 pm
Location: Canada
Karma: 4190

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#22 Post by Durga » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:37 pm

Is it just me or is capt brad turning into major mitchell

Condescension
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:09 pm
Karma: 19

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#23 Post by Condescension » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:43 pm

Brad, you are one of the worst players on the site. Top-tier players prefer to play with each other for the same reason that top-tier chess players do. It's more interesting.

Durga
Posts: 8673
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:01 pm
Location: Canada
Karma: 4190

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#24 Post by Durga » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:45 pm

If you look at my games list you'll know I'm open to playing with everyone reliable at least once.

Octavious
Posts: 2482
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:16 pm
Location: The Five Valleys, Gloucestershire
Karma: 1940
Contact:

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#25 Post by Octavious » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:54 pm

Condescension wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:43 pm
Brad, you are one of the worst players on the site. Top-tier players prefer to play with each other for the same reason that top-tier chess players do. It's more interesting.
I disagree. By far the most entertaining games involve people with a mix of abilities and experience. As long as they're willing to talk, that is.

jmo1121109
Developer
Developer
Posts: 1074
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:20 pm
Karma: 2854
Contact:

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#26 Post by jmo1121109 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:24 pm

CAPT Brad wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:12 pm
Durgastly fact is high GR's are timid players who in their incestial manner play only with themselves (among themselves for mods with dirty minds). they fear to play against others of lesser games or ratings worried that someone new may get into their party. as for me i fear no one and stand ready to give anyone a sever beating in any game at anytime. :o
Perhaps nobody likes to play with you because you're just all around unpleasant to everyone on the forum?

Condescension
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:09 pm
Karma: 19

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#27 Post by Condescension » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:11 pm

jmo1121109 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:24 pm
Perhaps nobody likes to play with you because you're just all around unpleasant to everyone on the forum?
+1. I've played a few anon games where I later found out Brad was in it... and he was, every time, the most unpleasant, whiny, irrational player.
Octavious wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:54 pm
I disagree. By far the most entertaining games involve people with a mix of abilities and experience. As long as they're willing to talk, that is.
Terrible players are basically random number generators who can't even act in their own self-interest and will frequently throw games or CD.

CAPT Brad
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:12 pm
Location: Long Beach, California
Karma: 2

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#28 Post by CAPT Brad » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:49 pm

I don't throw games. I don't CD. I provoke fear in those I play. As to you condensation, your description of me more matches you.

Condescension
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:09 pm
Karma: 19

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#29 Post by Condescension » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:42 pm

CAPT Brad wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:49 pm
I don't throw games. I don't CD. I provoke fear in those I play. As to you condensation, your description of me more matches you.
It's pretty embarrassing that you have trench GR when you don't CD. The only way other players can be as shite as you is by literally trying to lose.

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 1904
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:22 pm
Location: OOOOOOKLAHOMA WHERE THE WIND COMES SWEEPING DOWN THE PLAIN
Karma: 525
Contact:

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#30 Post by TrPrado » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:13 pm

GR is rigged! No way I'm in the top 500 players on the site!

brainbomb
Posts: 15884
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: the sock drawer
Karma: 4730

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#31 Post by brainbomb » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:45 am

We agree yer pretty bad at this game

CAPT Brad
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:12 pm
Location: Long Beach, California
Karma: 2

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#32 Post by CAPT Brad » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:30 am

Condensation you fear to play me. Brain. I am kicking your butt and you know it.

Aereaux
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:28 am
Karma: 4

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#33 Post by Aereaux » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:17 pm

Another question: do Ghost Ratings include games that I have replaced a player in (and then proceeded to lose, because the player I replaced sucked)?

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator
Posts: 11639
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:51 pm
Location: Seattle
Karma: 6011

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#34 Post by ghug » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Yes, they do.

A better solution would be nice, but would sadly require a good amount of development work on both the site and the GR scripts.

Aereaux
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:28 am
Karma: 4

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#35 Post by Aereaux » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:01 pm

Ah well, that kind of sucks. I try to take over a lot of games when people CD because I hate it when it happens in my games. Do you have any idea what would need to be added to support that?

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator
Posts: 11639
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:51 pm
Location: Seattle
Karma: 6011

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#36 Post by ghug » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:11 pm

The first step would be deciding how to handle it in the scoring. GR doesn't make a lot of mathematical sense to begin with, so that could probably be fudged a little.

Then, the site tracks CDs but not replacements. I'm not sure how exactly it does it, but there'd have to be some amount of effort put into extracting the latter from the former and then including it in the GR data dump script.

Then you'd need to actually edit GR, which is a hideous mess of poorly-documented and needlessly complex code.

Mercy
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:03 pm
Karma: 217

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#37 Post by Mercy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:16 am

I believe that vRanking at vDiplomacy handles it the following way:

A CD position is 'worth' a certain percentage of the pot. This is the amount of :points: someone has to pay to take over a CD position and it is equal to some number just larger than 1/2 times the percentage of the supply centers of the board the CD'd layer controls. It is equal to 0 on this site, but it has been the same as on vDiplomacy, so it is possible to change in the code.

As someone familiar with the concept of rankings knows, GR and vRanking use expected points won in their calculations. For example, if you are a good player having bet 10 :points: in a game, it may be that according to your ranking, the expected value of :points: won that game is 20. If you then end up getting more/less than 20 :points:, your ranking increases/decreases.

I have the suspicion that vRanking simply multiplies everyone's expected points with what they have bet with respect to the other players. For example, if you are the same good player from the previous example and take over a CD worth 3 :points: where the other players bet 10 :points:, then you only need to win 6 :points: for your ranking to remain unchanged.

This system is not perfect, but is better than the current one.

And yes, GR does not make much mathematical sense.

Mercy
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:03 pm
Karma: 217

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#38 Post by Mercy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:34 am

The way to do the same in GR is by changing your expected part of the pot from (your own GR) / (Sum of the GRs of all the players) into (your own GR times your bet) / (Sum of (the GR times the bet) of all the players).

Aereaux
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:28 am
Karma: 4

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#39 Post by Aereaux » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:44 am

Does the data dump that GR uses include data on how much each player bet?

Aereaux
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:28 am
Karma: 4

Re: January Ghost Ratings Published

#40 Post by Aereaux » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:01 am

It looks like vDip's code for calculating ratings is here: https://github.com/Sleepcap/vDiplomacy/ ... rating.php . Is the code that is used for Ghost Ratings online somewhere?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests