2020 Boston Massacre

Players from the face-to-face Diplomacy community can post upcoming meet ups, tournaments, and house games here, and members from the webDiplomacy community can search for local face-to-face groups and events.
Deinodon
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

2020 Boston Massacre

#1 Post by Deinodon » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:50 am

Who else was there?
I got to face off against the likes of Abgemacht, which was a pleasure.
I also did much better than in Dixiecon earlier this year.
Anyone have any tales to tell?

AnimalsCS

Re: 2020 Boston Massacre

#2 Post by AnimalsCS » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:10 am

I was also there! Played the evening session, which was my first ever real-time game. Managed to survive to the draw and had a fun time doing it. Will be signing up for more such tournaments in the future.

Claesar

#3 Post by Claesar » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:30 am

I played! Had fun during the games but in hindsight I'm disgusted with myself as taking one more centre would've given me top3. I knew at that moment I didn't have enough for top3, but I accepted a draw anyway.

There was no realistic way for me to gain another centre, but there are no awards for 6th place either. I should've tried.

Congratulations to Durga for winning the tournament by getting the only solo!

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#4 Post by Tom Bombadil » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:41 am

Way to represent webdip Durga!! Congrats on the tourney win!

abgemacht
Lifetime Site Contributor

#5 Post by abgemacht » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:37 pm

It was fun playing with you, Deinodon. Leaving you alive cost me Best Turkey. : )

Durga

#6 Post by Durga » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:09 pm

I recommend everyone who enjoys playing diplomacy to attempt playing the game in its pure and superior form and join the f2f community one of these days for either a tournament or a casual game. We have people live streaming and providing feedback and commentary of the games as well. Trust me when I say that watching people dissect your play is v exciting.

If anyone has any questions feel free to dm me I'm happy to provide additional information.

And thanks Claesar + Tom!

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#7 Post by Chaqa » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:15 pm

But Covid?

Durga

#8 Post by Durga » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:17 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:15 pm
But Covid?
We played online! Via discord + backstabbr. We try to replicate the f2f experience as much as possible. Give it a try sometime you don't have to leave your basement 😌

Vecna

#9 Post by Vecna » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:26 pm

my basement is very comfortable tyvm

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#10 Post by Tom Bombadil » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:35 pm

Everything went smooth? No technology hiccups. My biggest fear when reading into these is that someone's mic wouldn't work, or connection would drop etc. and mess the whole deal up

Durga

#11 Post by Durga » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:37 pm

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:35 pm
Everything went smooth? No technology hiccups. My biggest fear when reading into these is that someone's mic wouldn't work, or connection would drop etc. and mess the whole deal up
There's gonna be technical problems when technology is involved no matter what but nothing close to ruining the experience.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#12 Post by Chaqa » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:30 am

Durga wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:17 pm
Chaqa wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:15 pm
But Covid?
We played online! Via discord + backstabbr. We try to replicate the f2f experience as much as possible. Give it a try sometime you don't have to leave your basement 😌
Oh, that's neat.

I live in a 2nd story apartment, thank you very much!

Deinodon
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#13 Post by Deinodon » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:16 am

abgemacht wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:37 pm
It was fun playing with you, Deinodon. Leaving you alive cost me Best Turkey. : )
And a noble and gracious thing it was! Your baby on your lap got to see what a man of his word Daddy is! ;)
In regards to the tech question, yeah, one guy we were playing with was having issues with his router and I think it might have made him misorder once. Other than that, Discord worked fantastic.

Congrats to our Champ! I didn't realize you were on WebDip!

In my second game, our board leader was Germany and he was physically located in Israel. It was super late there, and for a few turns he had been telling us that he would be very happy with a draw at any time. He gradually talked us all into a seven way draw with him in first place. It was only Spring 1905. I think I agreed to the draw because I felt sympathy for a guy playing at 4 am or whatever it was, and because as Turkey, the countries around me had actively deceived me for the last two turns and it didn't look like anyone was wanting to work with me at the moment. When it was all said and done though, was that a chump move? I mean, he ended up with third place overall in the tourney! We kind of gave that to him, a lot could have happened from that point in the game.

Then there is the live feed where they criticize your game a few hours after you have played it, man, that is crazy. It actually affects my moves during the tourney, I'm thinking, "Man, what are they going to say about this move?"
Also, they like to give credit for moves and stuff to the big names, the people they know. But it makes sense though, they don't know the negotiations going on. I was playing with Melinda Holley, who is legendary in the hobby for how long she has been playing and how many games she has played. Anyway, I worked my ass off getting Holly(France) and Austria to work with me, Italy to fend off a very powerful and persuasive Turkey(Abgemacht). But in the live stream, they said something like, "Wow, gotta give Holly a lot of credit there for putting together that defense with Italy and Austria against Turkey!" I don't know, maybe it is small of me for wanting a little credit there from the live streamers. I guess it makes sense though that they seem to focus in on the players they know.
They put a lot of time into the game by game analysis though, and are operating off limited info, gotta give them credit for the good job they do.

Over all though, both games I played in had very fun, very high quality players. We all agreed that it was a great time all around. There was a lot of banter and joking around in the main voice chat table on Discord as we played. It was very enjoyable.
I highly recommend.

Claesar

#14 Post by Claesar » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:09 am

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:35 pm
The biggest challenge is that it's a lot easier on Backstabbr to forget to actually submit your orders. Online players should know to save a preliminary order set though, so that's more of an issue for the FTF crowd.

There was plenty of time between the roll call and game start to fix audio issues.

jay65536

#15 Post by jay65536 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:39 pm

Claesar wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:09 am
The biggest challenge is that it's a lot easier on Backstabbr to forget to actually submit your orders. Online players should know to save a preliminary order set though, so that's more of an issue for the FTF crowd.
There are enough FtF tournaments run with "drop dead" timing (i.e. if your moves aren't in by the deadline you can be given an NMR) that I'd think most FtF players wouldn't have a problem either.

Claesar

#16 Post by Claesar » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:17 pm

jay65536 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:39 pm
Claesar wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:09 am
There are enough FtF tournaments run with "drop dead" timing (i.e. if your moves aren't in by the deadline you can be given an NMR) that I'd think most FtF players wouldn't have a problem either.
That still doesn't encourage the practice of preliminary orders. I've never played FTF with drop dead. Not even at the WDC.

Jamiet99uk

#17 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:37 pm

Well done, Durga, genuine congrats.

dancing queen

#18 Post by dancing queen » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:10 pm

Durga wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:09 pm
I recommend everyone who enjoys playing diplomacy to attempt playing the game in its pure and superior form and join the f2f community one of these days for either a tournament or a casual game. We have people live streaming and providing feedback and commentary of the games as well. Trust me when I say that watching people dissect your play is v exciting.

If anyone has any questions feel free to dm me I'm happy to provide additional information.

I have a question.

Per the chart, you went 10-16-20 as Austria on her way to the solo, taking
2 centers from France and Russia and 1 center from England and France.

WTAF?

Durga

#19 Post by Durga » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:26 pm

dancing queen wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:10 pm
Durga wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:09 pm

I have a question.

Per the chart, you went 10-16-20 as Austria on her way to the solo, taking
2 centers from France and Russia and 1 center from England and France.

WTAF?
I saw it. I took it. I got it!

maddotter

#20 Post by maddotter » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:56 pm

Deinodon, thanks for watching the livecast, and thanks especially for being so charitable in your review of our commentary. I can imagine how frustrating it would be to accomplish some awesome negotiating feat only to hear someone else be given the credit.

You’re absolutely right that we have a tendency to assign more agency to the people we know something about. While that may be understandable, it’s something we need to work against, so I appreciate you pointing out where we fell short. We’ve only been doing live commentary for a couple months now, and we’re still learning how to do it well. Tournaments present a special problem, with so many games going on at once. Shorthand is especially important there, and because we really want to try to imagine how negotiations are going, this “who-you-know” trap is especially inviting.

(Btw, another factor in your game was that Holley’s positioning was particularly fun to talk about; a French fleet in Albania is just plain awesome, even if it didn't work out too well.)

So far I’ve been drawing from the pool of people I know for commentators, which has been exclusively players from the ftf community (and which thankfully includes the crossover wonder, Durga). This is something we really want to change, now that we’ve launched the Diplomacy Broadcast Network (diplobn.com) with a mission to cover all Diplomacy communities, not just ftf. We would love to have some voices from webdip on DBN, and to provide coverage for events here.