fans stunned to learn that sport they dont watch has pay inequality to sport they do watch

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
brainbomb

fans stunned to learn that sport they dont watch has pay inequality to sport they do watch

#1 Post by brainbomb » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:42 pm

Shocked and disgusted fans of Iowas Caitlin Clark could not beleive her starting salary in the WNBA will be around 70k per season. It begs the question, if you are shocked and outraged why werent you watching the WNBA before?

BrianBaru

Re: fans stunned to learn that sport they dont watch has pay inequality to sport they do watch

#2 Post by BrianBaru » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:56 pm

Let the women who want to earn the big bucks try out for the NBA.
Let the women who want to earn the big bucks in Soccer try for a men's team.

My daughter played professional basketball in Europe for 4 years. She is a very good player, but when she played with our men's club, she didn't dominate.

Catlin Clark wouldn't get a shot off against a top Men's college team, let alone the NBA. The US women's soccer team cannot beat a U-16 advanced boy's team.

At the height of the Williams sisters prime, in 1998, an unofficial game took place in Australia after Serena and Venus claimed that no male player outside the top 200 could beat them. Up stepped a German known as Karsten Braasch who was ranked 203rd in the world and after first beating Serena 6-1, he then disposed of Venus 6-2.

The WNBA loses money. They are subsidized by the NBA. All players earn what they can demand in the marketplace.

sweetandcool

Re: fans stunned to learn that sport they dont watch has pay inequality to sport they do watch

#3 Post by sweetandcool » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:44 pm

I find it bizarre that when inequality of pay between women's leagues and open leagues is brought up, that people start talking about how top women would get crushed by mediocre men's players.

I thought the reason sportspeople were paid so much is because they are entertaining the masses?

brainbomb

#4 Post by brainbomb » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:03 pm

Women dont have to play in the NBA to make big money. What would need to happen is that people just simply tune in more, and invest more interest in the WNBA. The whole point is that the pay rate for players in the WNBA directly correlates to lack of viewership, lack of national interest, lack of advertising, lack of ticket sales, lack of merchandise/jerseys/endorsements.

All of those things can be corrected if people were actually watching the WNBA. look at baseball. theres a sport that appeals to almost no one at this point. It is an old man sport that only matters to people in cities with a team. and yet the contracts are HUGE, and thats because they still sell tickets, they still get on TV, they still get the big ads and big endorsement deals, hell look at Ohtani??

point is, you have to build that interest. and the people complaining that caitlin clark isnt making enough are also people who havent even ever watched a WNBA game

Esquire Bertissimmo

#5 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:09 pm

This seems like a chicken and egg problem.

Low interest in most women's sports leads to lower pay and prestige, which in turn means less talent development, less advertising, playing at worse venues, etc. A vicious cycle.

Artificially increasing the pay and funding for women's sport beyond what is warranted by the current level of interest has helped in the past. The Tennis Grand Slams started offering women equal prize money to men in the 70s and 80s even though the mens' division was much more popular. Higher prizes encouraged more women to pursue professional tennis, more interest in women's matches, etc., a virtuous cycle that arguably made women's tennis as or more popular than men's tennis over the course of a few decades. Now the top women players really do earn top dollar without subsidy on the basis of their viewership, sponsorship, etc.

The tennis example may not be applicable for some other sports. It might be the case that no matter how much money gets thrown at it, there will never be a big market for certain women's sports, or at least not as big as the men's category. But it's possible that women's sport could be much bigger than it is if someone were willing to take a financial risk on it.

Jamiet99uk

#6 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:24 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:42 pm
Shocked and disgusted fans of Iowas Caitlin Clark could not beleive her starting salary in the WNBA will be around 70k per season. It begs the question, if you are shocked and outraged why werent you watching the WNBA before?
Surely if they are "fans of Caitlin Clark" they must already be watching women's basketball, no?

I've never heard of her.
Buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz.

brainbomb

#7 Post by brainbomb » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:29 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:24 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:42 pm
Surely if they are "fans of Caitlin Clark" they must already be watching women's basketball, no?

I've never heard of her.
She is a college athlete from the University of Iowa. her estimated earnings as a college basketball player are in the millions from ads and endorsements. College players do not earn an official salary however. She was drafted to play in the WNBA now, one of the least watched professional sports leagues in America. Its salary for rookies is very low, she will be making roughly 70 k per year for about 3 years. People are suddenly angry and claiming mens basketball players make millions right out the gate. The problem is, as has been stated, the WNBA is extremely unpopular, it just doesnt get viewers attention. People dont watch the games and mostly have no idea who these athletes even are. The only one people even know is Brittany Griner for her imprisonment stint in Russia. the rest people maybe saw in the Olympics one time and thats about it. I couldnt tell you where the teams are located, or any of the players on the teams.

That being said this could be a huge moment for the WNBA and it could change its trajectory in a major way. Angel Reese, Caitlin Clark, Cardosa, and the other new rookie class had major followings as college players.

Jamiet99uk

#8 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:19 pm

Why is the main women's professional league less popular than watching young amateurs play at college?

Nobody in the UK watches University sports teams.

JustAGuyNamedWill

#9 Post by JustAGuyNamedWill » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:22 pm

College sports are HUGE in the US. Especially college football

Jamiet99uk

#10 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:32 pm

JustAGuyNamedWill wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:22 pm
Why is that exactly? Is there just a very strong sense of affiliation between people and the colleges they attended as young adults?

Diplomacy&Warfare

#11 Post by Diplomacy&Warfare » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:40 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:32 pm
JustAGuyNamedWill wrote:
Why is that exactly? Is there just a very strong sense of affiliation between people and the colleges they attended as young adults?
I, myself, don't care much for sports. They are rather boring and have low strategy compared to, for example, chess (there are a few exceptions, one of them the brackets pools for college basketball). The college sports obsessions probably involves Americans' intense desire to sort themselves into arbitrary teams and argue intensely about things that don't matter. I could give you examples, but this isn't the politics sub-forum so I'm not going to.

Crazy Anglican

#12 Post by Crazy Anglican » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:45 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
JustAGuyNamedWill wrote:
I think it's more of a regional thing than alumni. Two schools in an area develop a rivalry (or an interconference rivalry exists) and people jump on the bandwagon. If it were just about school spirit there wouldn't be near the number of people following them. We recently had a Senatorial candidate that was running mainly on his notoriety as a college athlete (he was a professional too, but not anywhere near our area). He came back here to run because he's still a household name 40 years later.

Jamiet99uk

#13 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:05 am

Crazy Anglican wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:45 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
JustAGuyNamedWill wrote:
I think it's more of a regional thing than alumni. Two schools in an area develop a rivalry (or an interconference rivalry exists) and people jump on the bandwagon. If it were just about school spirit there wouldn't be near the number of people following them. We recently had a Senatorial candidate that was running mainly on his notoriety as a college athlete (he was a professional too, but not anywhere near our area). He came back here to run because he's still a household name 40 years later.
But why are college rivalries more intense than rivalries between pro sports teams? (And their supporters).

Where I live there is a huge rivalry between Newcastle United FC and Sunderland AFC. But that manifests itself in the form of an intense rivalry between those two professional sports teams. It absolutely does not manifest itself in huge crowds wanting to turn up to see the Newcastle University football team play the Sunderland University football team (even though both universities do have football teams, they do not draw a crowd).

Diplomacy&Warfare

#14 Post by Diplomacy&Warfare » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:14 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:05 am
Crazy Anglican wrote:
Jamiet99uk wrote:

But why are college rivalries more intense than rivalries between pro sports teams? (And their supporters).

Where I live there is a huge rivalry between Newcastle United FC and Sunderland AFC. But that manifests itself in the form of an intense rivalry between those two professional sports teams. It absolutely does not manifest itself in huge crowds wanting to turn up to see the Newcastle University football team play the Sunderland University football team (even though both universities do have football teams, they do not draw a crowd).
The phenomenon you are discussing, where people don't obsessively worship sports teams, is called 'sanity'.

Octavious

#15 Post by Octavious » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:29 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:05 am
Crazy Anglican wrote:
Jamiet99uk wrote:

Not strictly true, of course. The Oxford and Cambridge boat race draws insanely large crowds for what is in reality an extremely dull event, and the University Challenge Quiz regularly attracts a televised audience of millions.

I would say that the biggest difference between the UK and US is that anyone of university age in the UK who plays one of the major sports at elite levels is already a professional in that sport. If they want to go to uni they will do it when they retire.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

brainbomb

#16 Post by brainbomb » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:50 am

Another example is Livvy Dunne who attends LSU. Her net worth from Name Image Likeness is in the multi millions just from doing tik tok videos and reels of herself in a gymnastics outfit. It goes beyond even her sport as LSU is a top tier program for gymnastics but she isnt even the best competitor on their roster. Shes actually quite average. Her following is huge; so fanatic and so crazed that thousands of men will show up outside the classes she attends waiting to catch a glimpse of her. She has had to cease attending classes in person and do only remote classes to avoid dangerous incidents with fans. When she Attends events she has to have security with her just to even go to sit and watch a sporting event. There is something fanatical people feel about college athletes in America

Pengwinja

#17 Post by Pengwinja » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:00 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:50 am
Another example is Livvy Dunne who attends LSU. Her net worth from Name Image Likeness is in the multi millions just from doing tik tok videos and reels of herself in a gymnastics outfit. It goes beyond even her sport as LSU is a top tier program for gymnastics but she isnt even the best competitor on their roster. Shes actually quite average. Her following is huge; so fanatic and so crazed that thousands of men will show up outside the classes she attends waiting to catch a glimpse of her. She has had to cease attending classes in person and do only remote classes to avoid dangerous incidents with fans. When she Attends events she has to have security with her just to even go to sit and watch a sporting event. There is something fanatical people feel about college athletes in America
As someone in America, I can confirm that many people have made sports their main religion. I got threatened with a knife after I said I didn’t watch sports as my main source of entertainment. Granted, the knife was plastic, but still, the emotional pain is still there. :cry:

Diplomacy&Warfare

#18 Post by Diplomacy&Warfare » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 pm

Pengwinja wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:00 pm
brainbomb wrote:
As someone in America, I can confirm that many people have made sports their main religion. I got threatened with a knife after I said I didn’t watch sports as my main source of entertainment. Granted, the knife was plastic, but still, the emotional pain is still there. :cry:
That's rough. Would it make you feel better if I pulled a knife on you for something unrelated to sports?

Jamiet99uk

#19 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:17 pm

Diplomacy&Warfare wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 pm
Pengwinja wrote:
brainbomb wrote:
That's rough. Would it make you feel better if I pulled a knife on you for something unrelated to sports?
That sounds a bit over the top. Perhaps try just jabbing him with a fork.

Pengwinja

#20 Post by Pengwinja » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:27 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:17 pm
Diplomacy&Warfare wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 pm
Pengwinja wrote:

That sounds a bit over the top. Perhaps try just jabbing him with a fork.
Abusing me with kitchen utensils doesn’t seem like the answer to my problem.