Ready your orders

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
ThatCrazyGuy

Ready your orders

#1 Post by ThatCrazyGuy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:43 pm

I’m sure I’m not the only one, but why don’t people just ready their orders? I find it incredibly frustrating especially after a game is extended due to a missed turn. I only play games with one excused extension, but there are still multiple extensions. I also don’t understand why so many people play with more than one extension. Im mostly just venting.

Esquire Bertissimmo

Re: Ready your orders

#2 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:57 am

I generally prefer to hit save instead of ready. I find it encourages more and better press than everyone readying up early. I want to be able to change my mind if someone gets to press late but says something relevant to my move. If I want to play a faster game I'll choose one with a shorter interval between turns.

I don't like the extensions, but I feel I can't be too mad if folks use the excused missed turns they're entitled to. In fact, I think there are times where players should use their excused turns strategically if they're really trying their hardest to win (e.g., to give them more time to finesse a press strategy that's coming together too slowly). Again, the solution here is in the game creation — making games with 1 or 0 excused missed turns will be better for your sanity than joining games with 3 excused missed turns and being upset when players use them.

BrianBaru

#3 Post by BrianBaru » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:10 am

The ready button is your friend.
Yes, make all necessary discussions.
There is no reason to hit save for a retreat or a disband when you have no options.

ThatCrazyGuy

#4 Post by ThatCrazyGuy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:27 am

I should also mention I currently only play gunboat.

DougJoe

#5 Post by DougJoe » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:22 pm

ThatCrazyGuy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:43 pm
I’m sure I’m not the only one, but why don’t people just ready their orders? I find it incredibly frustrating especially after a game is extended due to a missed turn. I only play games with one excused extension, but there are still multiple extensions. I also don’t understand why so many people play with more than one extension. Im mostly just venting.
ThatCrazyGuy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:27 am
I should also mention I currently only play gunboat.
In gunboat, especially early on, I tend to save instead of ready because I want the entire turn phase time to think. Later in a game when I'm more certain of the orders for a turn, I'll ready those much earlier in the turn. When there are obvious disbands/retreats, I'll ready those right away too.

With press games, I'm with Esquire Bert. Save until the end of the phase as there are always last minute discussions that can happen and being ready makes it looks like someone doesn't want to negotiate anymore. There was a press game I played a few months ago where I was the only one who had to retreat and I readied the retreat right away... and one of my neighbors was upset that we didn't get to talk about my retreat options.

cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#6 Post by cdngooner » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:51 pm

I agree with readying your orders once ready, but that is not the worst thing that kills games on this site. Its people who sign up for a game, then don't show up and let their country go into CD. Why sign up if you can't be arsed to play?