Curated brass ensemble arrangement for you

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Wattsthematter

Curated brass ensemble arrangement for you

#1 Post by Wattsthematter » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:26 pm

Hello all! Last year I graduated with a degree in music performance, with concentrations on composition and trumpet performance. In the last year, I've struggled at times to find motivation to write in my time away from work and away from like-minded creative minds. I have a simple request that will hopefully lead to your own entertainment and my own motivation... Let me know what piece you'd like to hear arranged for a 14-piece brass band! In the next week I plan on picking my favorite suggestion and finishing this arrangement, recording it with my brass band, and publishing it on a site for all of you to listen to.

Pengwinja

Re: Curated brass ensemble arrangement for you

#2 Post by Pengwinja » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:38 pm

Play hot cross buns 5 times as a group, then each instrument gets their own hot cross buns, then end it off by playing hot cross buns 5 times, but the last one is half speed. This happened at an actual concert. I died at the 5th solo, out of 12.

Pengwinja

#3 Post by Pengwinja » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:42 pm

In seriousness, I also play trumpet (as a pastime, not good or anything) and have been trying to get through pirates of the Caribbean. It’s a medley of many of the songs there, and I can see if i can get the specific music. If that could be played, I think I would really enjoy that.

Wattsthematter

#4 Post by Wattsthematter » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:47 pm

Pengwinja wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:42 pm
In seriousness, I also play trumpet (as a pastime, not good or anything) and have been trying to get through pirates of the Caribbean. It’s a medley of many of the songs there, and I can see if i can get the specific music. If that could be played, I think I would really enjoy that.
Is that the Michael Sweeney arrangement for concert band? I think I've played that if so

Pengwinja

#5 Post by Pengwinja » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:48 pm

Wattsthematter wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:47 pm
Pengwinja wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:42 pm
Is that the Michael Sweeney arrangement for concert band? I think I've played that if so
Yeah, that’s the one. Been struggling near the ending, but I think I got the beginning done.

Jamiet99uk

#6 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:30 pm

Greetings, fellow musicians. I am the bass player in two (relatively part-time) heavy metal bands and am in the process of forming a psychedelic rock band which I will be writing new music for in the coming year.

In response to the OP, I would like to hear "Sirius / Eye In The Sky" by the Alan Parsons Project arranged for a 14 piece brass band.

Which piece of brass band music would you like to hear me work out a bass guitar line for? ;-)
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

Wattsthematter

#7 Post by Wattsthematter » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:02 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:30 pm
Greetings, fellow musicians. I am the bass player in two (relatively part-time) heavy metal bands and am in the process of forming a psychedelic rock band which I will be writing new music for in the coming year.

In response to the OP, I would like to hear "Sirius / Eye In The Sky" by the Alan Parsons Project arranged for a 14 piece brass band.

Which piece of brass band music would you like to hear me work out a bass guitar line for? ;-)
https://youtu.be/Y223YcNT4ks?si=-k4LoIesNUSGqeVf

Check this out! It’s a brass band from Denmark. Could be neat to hear some variations on the bari sax’s bass line on bass

DougJoe

#8 Post by DougJoe » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:20 pm

Wattsthematter wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:26 pm
Hello all! Last year I graduated with a degree in music performance, with concentrations on composition and trumpet performance. In the last year, I've struggled at times to find motivation to write in my time away from work and away from like-minded creative minds. I have a simple request that will hopefully lead to your own entertainment and my own motivation... Let me know what piece you'd like to hear arranged for a 14-piece brass band! In the next week I plan on picking my favorite suggestion and finishing this arrangement, recording it with my brass band, and publishing it on a site for all of you to listen to.
What's the instrumentation set in your group of 14?

Wattsthematter

#9 Post by Wattsthematter » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:22 pm

DougJoe wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:20 pm
Wattsthematter wrote:
5 trumpets, 4 trombones, bari sax, alto sax, sousaphone, drum set, auxiliary percussion

Spartaculous

#10 Post by Spartaculous » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:27 pm

Wattsthematter wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:22 pm
DougJoe wrote:
Wattsthematter wrote:
5 trumpets, 4 trombones, bari sax, alto sax, sousaphone, drum set, auxiliary percussion
I once played "auxiliary percussion" in a group doing a performance. I ended up with finger cymbals. No one taught me how to play them, so I just played them like crash cymbals.

Wattsthematter

#11 Post by Wattsthematter » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:29 pm

Spartaculous wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:27 pm
Wattsthematter wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:22 pm
DougJoe wrote:

I once played "auxiliary percussion" in a group doing a performance. I ended up with finger cymbals. No one taught me how to play them, so I just played them like crash cymbals.
Thankfully both percussionists are competent enough to switch off on drum set parts... but I will say some of the auxiliary parts are a bit... makeshift. The fun one is cowbell!

DougJoe

#12 Post by DougJoe » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:50 pm

Wattsthematter wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:29 pm
Thankfully both percussionists are competent enough to switch off on drum set parts... but I will say some of the auxiliary parts are a bit... makeshift. The fun one is cowbell!
More cowbell!

As for what piece to arrange, my first suggestion is "Everything" from FM-84's album _Atlas_:
https://youtu.be/YYoWstToygA

Ferdack

#13 Post by Ferdack » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:21 pm

Wattsthematter wrote:
Ah, a fellow composer on webDip! I'd love to hear the brass band version of the Toccata from Ravel's Le Tombeau de Couperin.

DougJoe

#14 Post by DougJoe » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:56 pm

I like composing, too, but haven't done any thing original in a long time. Here's a few arrangements that I've done over the past few years (nothing is monetized):

Debussy, Clair de Lune, chiptune: https://youtu.be/cpCTrGBJHfU
Wasserman, X-Men Animated Series, chiptune: https://youtu.be/OEyiPyN4HXA
Double, The Captain of Her Heart, chiptune: https://youtu.be/LwFaIIfLjX4
Yamaga & Kawamoto, Section Z Areas 1-20, marching band: https://youtu.be/d-rkeVhjnio

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#15 Post by dargorygel » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:05 pm

Beethoven, Mozart, et. al. are all DEcomposing.

DougJoe

#16 Post by DougJoe » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:14 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:05 pm
Beethoven, Mozart, et. al. are all DEcomposing.
There's a song about that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLPQRTdkzrU

Wattsthematter

#17 Post by Wattsthematter » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:30 pm

Thanks everyone! I’m excited to check out your all’s suggestions tonight. Keep them coming

Pengwinja

#18 Post by Pengwinja » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:31 pm

Can you sing?

Spartaculous

#19 Post by Spartaculous » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:02 pm

Wattsthematter wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:30 pm
Thanks everyone! I’m excited to check out your all’s suggestions tonight. Keep them coming
This is a very fun question to ask. I am trying to think of the *worst* possible suggestion to make.

So far, I have come up with the Major-General's song, but someone has already arranged it for a brass band, apparently: https://www.solidbrassmusic.com/product/gilbert-model-of-a-modern-major-general/

Pengwinja

#20 Post by Pengwinja » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:06 pm

Spartaculous wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:02 pm
Wattsthematter wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:30 pm
This is a very fun question to ask. I am trying to think of the *worst* possible suggestion to make.

So far, I have come up with the Major-General's song, but someone has already arranged it for a brass band, apparently: https://www.solidbrassmusic.com/product/gilbert-model-of-a-modern-major-general/
I still think that the Hot Cross Buns Idea is great.