Thank You

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank You

#1 Post by bo_sox48 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:35 pm

Several of you have already put the pieces together, and I appreciate the concern. My name isn't red anymore because I resigned my position as an admin on this site a few days ago and this is being posted here because I can't post in the announcements section anymore, so this goes here unless someone feels like moving it :lol:

Thank you all for being the awesome community that you are, even as things change and people come and go. I have real memories from this website - from being backed into a corner in an after-school club as a teenager and told that I should join this site or else (thanks, KB) to crashing in Valis's spare room for a few nights because I was too broke to pay for real accommodations, smoking on Yoyoyozo in a game of 8-ball to determine who got to sleep on the only bed in our hotel room, or quietly laughing with everyone as they reacted to me becoming a moderator (thank you zultar and jmo for being convinced I could be better than I was back then for some reason, and thank you abge and 2WL in particular for pretending like you agreed with them when I was around), this place has been nothing but good to me. Yet it's more than just good memories - ghug and jmo helped me kickstart a career that upended my life in a good way, and for some reason I get paid enough money to comfortably own a house in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. If I gave out the whole list it would go on awhile, but the long story short is that this place is pretty great. It has never had anything to do with Diplomacy; it's great because the people here collectively make it great. I have probably been one of the biggest beneficiaries of that of anyone here and it's made a real difference in my life.

The direction of the website going forward is aimed toward modernization, and that's for the best. Dark mode and player AI were just the tip of the iceberg. webDiplomacy is going to grow, and it's going to be exciting. I got to be part of those conversations and I genuinely hope it turns out to be as cool as I think it will be. I haven't had the time or energy to contribute to those projects in months and that was not about to change, and reworking the moderator team again to come up with a way to go forward from that angle is just not on my to-do list at the moment. There will be people who step up to push that forward, and they deserve the respect and trust that you all have for some reason decided to show me for the last several years. It's going to end well.

I'm stepping away from the site for a little while. I'm reachable on Discord, and if you're interested in my dumb tornado and aurora photography exploits in life I'll share my public social media with you. I'll be back at some point, and might even play a game of Diplomacy again, if I can still remember how to do that. I look forward to seeing you all then. 8-)

Jamiet99uk

Re: Thank You

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:50 pm

Cheers Bo, thanks for all your efforts. Don't be a stranger. You're an outstanding member of the community.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#3 Post by Chaqa » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:58 pm

You should still play mafia. Don't listen to ghug, most of us think you're pretty cool.

Octavious

#4 Post by Octavious » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:08 pm

Who made bo an elder statesman?
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#5 Post by dargorygel » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:37 pm

Ah, bo... or Mr. Sox, as I first calked you. In many ways you are this site for me. (Not because you have 7 personalities vying for control...) You conversed with me, taught me, befriended me, modded me, and almost stayed in my house during tornado season. Don't be a stranger. This place feels a little hollow without you.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#6 Post by kestasjk » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:52 pm

Agreed bo, will see you around. Maybe you can stay on just retired if nothing else. Keep us posted on the photography and play a game. Thanks for all you've done, hoping the best for the project also, should be good.

Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

#7 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:41 am

Bo, you're up there in the list of best admins the site has ever had. Thank you for everything you've done to keep webDip running these past six years

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#8 Post by Hamilton Brian » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:23 pm

Nicely written!

Cheers, bo!!!

Jamiet99uk

#9 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:21 am

byter wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:15 am
Hi,

get paid enough to comfortably buy a home in Colorado's Rocky Mountains. The long list would be lengthy if I gave it, but the point is that this facility is really amazing. It is great because of the people here collectively; it has nothing to do with diplomacy. If you work online you earn very well.
What?
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Octavious

#10 Post by Octavious » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:38 am

Is it not obvious? It's nowt to do with diplomacy, but he has a facility for doing online collective work generating lengthy lengths of long listiness, and if you join in you get to live in Fraggle Rock.

I'm well tempted
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#11 Post by flash2015 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:58 am

In a previous thread, bo said that PPSC wouldn't come back on his watch.

Since bo is now gone, does that mean we can bring back PPSC?

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#12 Post by kestasjk » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:44 am

I don't mind myself, but I know plenty of people didn't like PPSC and I'm sure the change was well thought out. Sum of squares seems fairly similar anyway, and this wouldn't be high on the todo list since I know there'll be disagreement however the scoring works

Nikola Maric Eto

#13 Post by Nikola Maric Eto » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:16 am

<3

JECE

#14 Post by JECE » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:41 am

kestasjk wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:44 am
I don't mind myself, but I know plenty of people didn't like PPSC and I'm sure the change was well thought out. Sum of squares seems fairly similar anyway, and this wouldn't be high on the todo list since I know there'll be disagreement however the scoring works
I think that SoS is much less popular than PPSC. Those that complain the loudest about PPSC are the ones who only play WTA.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#15 Post by flash2015 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:59 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:21 am
byter wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:15 am
Hi,

get paid enough to comfortably buy a home in Colorado's Rocky Mountains. The long list would be lengthy if I gave it, but the point is that this facility is really amazing. It is great because of the people here collectively; it has nothing to do with diplomacy. If you work online you earn very well.
What?
webdipcoin. You didn't know about it???

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#16 Post by gimix » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:01 pm

JECE wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:41 am
kestasjk wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:44 am
I think that SoS is much less popular than PPSC. Those that complain the loudest about PPSC are the ones who only play WTA.
I remember someone noting on this forum that PPSC and SoS are both specimens of "Sum of n-th Power", with n=1 for PPSC and n=2 for SoS. So we may also have "Sum-of-Cubes" etc :shock:

Jamiet99uk

#17 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:05 am

Well then.

How about a well-positioned person who i opposed to issues relating to RPSC, should this be ok for should it be enouraged?!?

Valis2501
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#18 Post by Valis2501 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:39 am

Cheers brother. Thanks for all the good work and the good times.