Ghost Ratings query

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Lt Gen Lucky

Ghost Ratings query

#1 Post by Lt Gen Lucky » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:33 pm

Hi anyone who can help...

I see the explanations about the Ghost Ratings and understand (I think) the way the calculations work, but....
when there have been players disappearing and takeovers, which players' GRs are included in the "sum of each player's GR"? The players at the end, or the players that start or both?!
:geek:

Aristocrat

Re: Ghost Ratings query

#2 Post by Aristocrat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:41 pm

It is the player who takes over whose GR is used to calculate the changes at the end of the game, and the player who drops avoids the hit (or increase - but let’s be real, the vast majority of drops happen in bad positions) to GR.

It is unfair as it artificially inflates some folks’ GR and deflates others (you may have defeated a 300+ GR player in a game, but you don’t get credit for it if they drop).

I don’t personally get worked up about it (or other rankings issues - I am here to play a game, not collect imaginary internet points) although I wouldn’t begrudge someone who does care, and reforming GR might drive more interest and engagement in the site, which would be good.

Lt Gen Lucky

#3 Post by Lt Gen Lucky » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:07 am

Thanks for confirming that.
I'm with you on the 'play the game, ignore the points' thing, but I had just started thinking about it and wanted to check. No points or ranking system can ever be perfect, of course, and it's shame that sore losers (as it seems to be mostly those who drop) spoil this system.

Jamiet99uk

#4 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:22 pm

Aristocrat wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:41 pm
It is unfair as it artificially inflates some folks’ GR and deflates others (you may have defeated a 300+ GR player in a game, but you don’t get credit for it if they drop).
In theory yes, but very good players with high Ghostratings don't often quit games just because they're not winning. The Reliability Rating system ought to mitigate this issue, as well.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

JECE

#5 Post by JECE » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:11 pm

It's not just sore losers, though. My GR rating was never great in part because I used to like joining games in progress (back when you had to pay :points: to take over positions). Maybe this was fixed at some point, but I don't know about it if so.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

learnedSloth

#6 Post by learnedSloth » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:57 am

Aristocrat wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:41 pm
It is the player who takes over whose GR is used to calculate the changes at the end of the game, and the player who drops avoids the hit (or increase - but let’s be real, the vast majority of drops happen in bad positions) to GR.

I don’t personally get worked up about it (or other rankings issues - I am here to play a game, not collect imaginary internet points) although I wouldn’t begrudge someone who does care, and reforming GR might drive more interest and engagement in the site, which would be good.
Maybe the rating should be calculated with the dropout when the substitute is defeated? Then they wouldn't avoid the hit.
¶ Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
-- Proverbs of Solomon, chapter 4, verse 23

Rainfromabove

#7 Post by Rainfromabove » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:27 pm

Another interesting aspect is whether to calculate based on the GR of players at the point when the game starts or at the end

Yonni
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#8 Post by Yonni » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:40 pm

I believe it is at the end.

Lt Gen Lucky

#9 Post by Lt Gen Lucky » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:11 pm

learnedSloth wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:57 am

Maybe the rating should be calculated with the dropout when the substitute is defeated? Then they wouldn't avoid the hit.
I guess the reason for not doing this (and also the other point about taking the GR at the start of the game) is that the computer can't deal with those sort of retrospective calculations!

Yonni
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#10 Post by Yonni » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:01 pm

Yeah, Ghost used to scrape the data from the site so all you had was the players at the end of the game. Now that it's been integrated in the site, I imagine some adjustments are possible.

The dev team seems have a lot on their plate and other priorities so I imagine it won't happen anytime soon. Regardless, I don't think it's much of an issue. I really don't see people gaming the system.

singepartial

#11 Post by singepartial » Thu May 04, 2023 7:36 am

Perhaps the loss of the substitute when it is defeated should be factored into the rating.

foodle

Ginge86

#12 Post by Ginge86 » Thu May 04, 2023 8:44 am

I think that if someone takes over a position, they should not suffer a reduced GR if they lose. That would encourage more players to take over bad positions, as it would not affect your ranking. It seems to me that a lot of people avoid this scenario and my assumption is it is to protect their GR. I know that I wouldn't be willing to take over a losing position, as things currently stand, with how GR is calculated, as it seems self defeating. Not sure if this could be done but I am interested to see what others think of the idea.