Drop-outs EVERY Turn???

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
aardvarkarmy

Drop-outs EVERY Turn???

#1 Post by aardvarkarmy » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:39 am

I am new to this site. I excitedly joined 5 games.

Almost EVERY season in EVERY one of those games there have been 1 or more players booted for missed orders and replaced with new players. IN some cases they have been sequential, so a season ended up stretch three-times normal time periods.

I am absolutely astonished. And Appalled.

Is this really normal for this WebDiplomacy site??? Or have I just managed to unluckily stumble into a freakishly abnormal collection of 5 very bad games?

Is there a neat trick in choosing the games to sign into to avoid these non-stop-delay games?

Milky

Re: Drop-outs EVERY Turn???

#2 Post by Milky » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:19 am

That's not normal from my short time here.

There is this thing called realiability rating that exists to show what players often miss turns and which don't. You can see yours and other players' RR in your/their account. There is a setting for games called required RR (reliability rating) or smth like that which is the minimum RR that players need to join. Games with a higher requirement have more reliable players that put their orders in.

DarthPorg36

#3 Post by DarthPorg36 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:21 pm

I think that having one or two people get booted per game is relatively normal, especially on WorldDip9 or Chaos. For five games in a row? I haven't really seen that too often.

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#4 Post by Trigfea63 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:19 pm

If you stick to games with a 90% or 95% required reliability rating, you will find there are far fewer missed turns. Occasionally you might go an entire game with no missed turns. :D Of course, there aren't so many games set up with a 90%+ required RR. You could create one yourself, but it's sometimes hard to get players when you restrict RR to such a high level.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#5 Post by Chaqa » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:10 pm

aardvarkarmy wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:39 am
I am new to this site. I excitedly joined 5 games.

Almost EVERY season in EVERY one of those games there have been 1 or more players booted for missed orders and replaced with new players. IN some cases they have been sequential, so a season ended up stretch three-times normal time periods.

I am absolutely astonished. And Appalled.

Is this really normal for this WebDiplomacy site??? Or have I just managed to unluckily stumble into a freakishly abnormal collection of 5 very bad games?

Is there a neat trick in choosing the games to sign into to avoid these non-stop-delay games?
Looks like you're playing in the bigger variants a lot. More players -> more players who can drop out, and the variants typically attract more casual or less reliable players.

Try Classic with a RR setting

Randomizer

#6 Post by Randomizer » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:29 am

Some players will automatically drop out if they get certain countries rather than play them, This is especially true if they can reclaim their points to make 100 or they aren't going to miss the points.

Octavious

#7 Post by Octavious » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:27 pm

It's something that's far more common when you're new to a site and don't have the reputation or experience to get into more reliable games. On my last game on PlayDip I think I was the only original player left after 4 years :p.

But yeah, not all games are equal. Avoid variants and unusual phase lengths (anything longer than 48hrs or shorter than 24hrs tends to attract drop outs like flies). 100 point games used to be notorious for chancers who would either start well or drop out, but high point games and very low point games do rather better in the quality of entrants. Tournaments are pretty solid, and the reliability rating thing can help.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

aardvarkarmy

#8 Post by aardvarkarmy » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:15 am

Thanks all for the tips