First time playing a griefer in this game.

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
TomareUtsuZo

First time playing a griefer in this game.

#1 Post by TomareUtsuZo » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:10 am

I haven't played in ... not sure, a year? And so I got in on this game, and ended up being England. Started out with a nice thing going with Russia and having, apparently, Germany and France working against me, but I turned Germany against France.
Funny thing, France unilaterally demanded that I give him a three SC opening, and attacked Germany outright. I shrugged and moved forward W Germany. New Russia comes in, turns on me, but whatever. It was my fault, for having any trust, and reaching for the opportunities that existed. (My only issue there was he sent me a letter, after spitting on me, telling me it was raining. But, again, no biggy.)
The thing that really surprised me was to discover that France had destroyed an Army, opening himself to Germany, rather than give up attacking me. I calling him out for being an ass all game, and his response is, "This game is about being an ass."
Tells me everything I need to know about him.

TomareUtsuZo

Re: First time playing a griefer in this game.

#2 Post by TomareUtsuZo » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:49 am

Follow up, France says he's 14. He's got plenty of life for me to not know anything about'm.

THC

#3 Post by THC » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:40 am

Well, I dunno, it takes all sorts, I guess. Certainly, if you're going to play well, Diplomacy isn't about "being an ass", as anyone with an adequate level of skill will say.

Still, it is what it is, I guess. There are asses playing the game, and we're all an ass to someone. At least he's not a Carebear, I suppose :-D
Writer of "The Diplomaticon" blog: https://diplomaticon.com/
Publisher of NOTES ON A NAPKIN Dipzine.
Author of "50 Tips for Playing Better Diplomacy."
ODC: https://onlinediplomacychampionship321479591.wordpress.com/

Mercy

#4 Post by Mercy » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:18 pm

You are talking about this game?

If you are the one starting to call France an 'ass', then I don't see how Frances behavior would somehow be worse than yours.

TomareUtsuZo

#5 Post by TomareUtsuZo » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:02 am

Oh? Do tell. (That is weak AF, Mercy. You'll noticed I broadly spoke about why. You've just drove by, with no actual content.)

pancake at the disco

#6 Post by pancake at the disco » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:41 am

Hello, I'm France
you did not understand what I said, I did not say I was 14, I was saying that you fit in the category of 14 years olds that posts those deep quotes thinking they're wise and stuff, hence I said "r/im14andthisisdeep" a subreddit exactly fitting you since you literally sent me a quote saying and I quote:
"*Shrugs* The measure of the man is found in the small things he does, especially when he thinks no one can see him."

It's a browser game, bro, and not even a game that you make money out off, literally a game whose goal is to ally with a player to attack another player, if we classify everyone that attacks another in this game as an "ass" (like you did to me), then every single one of us here is an ass.

You literally judged my personal character off of this game, calling me a sad human being, when you're the one who got so personally butthurt, that you had to insult me ingame then call me out even in this forums that I just discovered.

Snowflake, I won't apologize nor would I want an apology, this is just a game, and as adults (hopefully you are one), I hope that we can just move on.

boylee

#7 Post by boylee » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:16 am

(New) Russia here.
Name calling in press: sure, if you think it's the right "Diplomacy" tactic, go for it. Not what I normally choose, but who knows, it might work on some people.
Getting so worked that you create a forum post (ON AN ACTIVE GAME) to continue the name-calling for a broader audience: I don't think you're going to have fun playing press games.

But since we're gathered here, let's all take a moment of silence for the poor English boys lost on the shores of Belgium in the Spring of 1903 due to the Royal Navy's miscommunication with itself.

TomareUtsuZo

#8 Post by TomareUtsuZo » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:15 pm

pancake at the disco wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:41 am
Hello, I'm France
you did not understand what I said, I did not say I was 14, I was saying that you fit in the category of 14 years olds that posts those deep quotes thinking they're wise and stuff, hence I said "r/im14andthisisdeep" a subreddit exactly fitting you since you literally sent me a quote saying and I quote:
"*Shrugs* The measure of the man is found in the small things he does, especially when he thinks no one can see him."

It's a browser game, bro, and not even a game that you make money out off, literally a game whose goal is to ally with a player to attack another player, if we classify everyone that attacks another in this game as an "ass" (like you did to me), then every single one of us here is an ass.

You literally judged my personal character off of this game, calling me a sad human being, when you're the one who got so personally butthurt, that you had to insult me ingame then call me out even in this forums that I just discovered.

Snowflake, I won't apologize nor would I want an apology, this is just a game, and as adults (hopefully you are one), I hope that we can just move on.
Never heard of that before. *Shrugs* My points stand. You are griefing me. You're actions have no means of ensuring you can win, or survive. If you had destroyed a fleet, I could have worked with you. But kept your gun pointed at me. No point to it. They can only hurt me, they can't save you.
Hell, I never did anything to you. I am not the one who made unreasonable demands in the start of the game. I am not the one who attacked two powers. In the first year. You've been an ass to me this whole game. I have no idea why (before. Now you're just after me for calling you out.) I don't really care.
I am not mad. Sometimes you play games, sometimes people just decide to be an ass. I play a lot of games.
But, I will call a spade a spade. You should really think about it man. Why did you chose to keep attacking me? Why are you being a bully to someone who never did anything to you? What DOES that say about you?

TomareUtsuZo

#9 Post by TomareUtsuZo » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:39 pm

boylee wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:16 am
(New) Russia here.
Name calling in press: sure, if you think it's the right "Diplomacy" tactic, go for it. Not what I normally choose, but who knows, it might work on some people.

But since we're gathered here, let's all take a moment of silence for the poor English boys lost on the shores of Belgium in the Spring of 1903 due to the Royal Navy's miscommunication with itself.
Yeah that Belgium thing. Very embarrassing. Complete noob mistake. You're shooting at the wrong target, mind you. I don't get hurt when people point out my mistakes.
Honestly, facing a bully and calling them out for their actions is fully a strategy for ending the attacks. Katowing only invites more attacks. France made the situation 100% clear. So, I changed tactics. I don't mind losing. I won't feel bad losing this game. France has been out for me, in a most unreasonable manner, this whole game. I did have some hope that calling him on it would maybe change the calculous. I don't EXPECT it to. But, being nice wasn't working.
Are you offended that I called out this behavior? Or is this just more of your press? Because man, you've your press has been horribly insulting. I mean, I invite ANYONE to go look at that map, and then come back and tell me that you're right:
A) I should attack Germany, and how attacking Germany isn't a full invite for you to solo this game.
B) That I should work with France, as that is the only thing that makes sense(after France chose to destroy an Army instead of a Fleet.)
C) How the Fleet you built in N StP is defensive, and not preparation for you to work with France (and Germany, if I was so stupid to attack Germany) to crush me between your two (three) militaries.
I invite ANYONE to come here and say that when you tell me that I am wrong, that working with you somehow makes ANY sense. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to get in the middle of a public spat. Because, dude you really seem to be mistaking a last minute order kerfluckle for brain damage.
boylee wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:16 am
Getting so worked that you create a forum post (ON AN ACTIVE GAME) to continue the name-calling for a broader audience: I don't think you're going to have fun playing press games.
This is called gaslighting. There is nothing wrong with talking about active games. And, I love playing press games. I hate silent games.

pancake at the disco

#10 Post by pancake at the disco » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:23 am

oh god, you truly are a kid, you cant judge a single move and try to think of my thought process, and conclude that what you thought was what I actually thought.

I won't even try explaining my actions because at this point, I know that you'll somehow twist it in the most self-conceited way, you somehow think that the world revolves around you (even calling a stranger gaslighting you somehow??? wtf dude).

you have a really massive fragile ego, seeking validation from forums and other people to verify that we are indeed the assholes while you are the almighty messiah himself, you could've just bitched in the global chat or even continue trashtalking us, yet you're here, with others that don't know the entire context, then when other people start trying to understand (like Mercy over there) you try and smack talk them too.

When you told me that I am a "sad human being", I think that you were actually self-reflecting.

Still, I hope that we can move on and end this whole thread, but knowing you, your slimmer of dignity and gigantic ego wouldn't be able to take me having the last word.

TomareUtsuZo

#11 Post by TomareUtsuZo » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:51 am

Nah man, I love to brawl. You're greifing. That's what I said. This isn't tilt. I didn't make a deal and betray you. You have been out against me from day one. At best, you're a carebear, serving a Russian master. But, it doesn't matter to me. To me on thing matters, when the time came for you to decide between trying to win, or continuing your irrational, and unprovoked, war on em, you chose to go open your throat for the one who betrayed you, and full on seek my destruction. You've given no reasons. You yourself admitted you chose to be an ass. You didn't try to explain how your keeping in me made any sense. NOT ONCE.

pancake at the disco

#12 Post by pancake at the disco » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:56 am

Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:23 am
oh god, you truly are a kid, you cant judge a single move and try to think of my thought process, and conclude that what you thought was what I actually thought.

I won't even try explaining my actions because at this point, I know that you'll somehow twist it in the most self-conceited way, you somehow think that the world revolves around you (even calling a stranger gaslighting you somehow??? wtf dude).

you have a really massive fragile ego, seeking validation from forums and other people to verify that we are indeed the assholes while you are the almighty messiah himself, you could've just bitched in the global chat or even continue trashtalking us, yet you're here, with others that don't know the entire context, then when other people start trying to understand (like Mercy over there) you try and smack talk them too.

When you told me that I am a "sad human being", I think that you were actually self-reflecting.

Still, I hope that we can move on and end this whole thread, but knowing you, your slimmer of dignity and gigantic ego wouldn't be able to take me having the last word.

THC

#13 Post by THC » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:26 pm

Damn. This is ridiculous. "You're griefing me." It gets to something when someone can't separate the game from life.

Where's the nearest "Guess Who?" convention?

TomareUtsuZo

#14 Post by TomareUtsuZo » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:37 pm

THC wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:26 pm
Damn. This is ridiculous. "You're griefing me." It gets to something when someone can't separate the game from life.

Where's the nearest "Guess Who?" convention?
There is nothing personal here. I am not angry. I am not emotional about it. I am just calling a spade a spade. My initial post was one of honest surprise. I'd played a quite a number of games, and not once have I had a player act in a way I can easily identify as griefing. Why do some of you seem so offended by calling behavior the behavior that it is?
Let me ask you the same thing I asked of Mercy, what do you have to add that would be of substance? If I am wrong, I'll listen.
But, what do you call it when a power makes the most unreasonable demands, creates a war machine to attack you, and KEEPs the the posture of attacking you, after getting ganked by someone else, and leaves their underbellies even softer to the player who betrayed their trust?

90kicvesb

#15 Post by 90kicvesb » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:03 pm

Q: Who is the winner of this bitter verbal dispute between England and France?

A: Neither. Germany is the winner. I did not need to read details of the above or loot at the board position to come up with that answer.

BobMcBob

#16 Post by BobMcBob » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:01 am

This is highly amusing. I have done this kinda thing before (not on the forum) and I have definitely been the troll too. Only one of them is worth your time, and it's not this one.

pancake at the disco

#17 Post by pancake at the disco » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:21 am

none of this woulda happened if we all sat down privately instead of creating and then crying in a public thread.

any further conversation regarding this would only be more immature (more than what we've already have been), i do hope that someone could just end the whole thread, thanks.

TomareUtsuZo

#18 Post by TomareUtsuZo » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:51 am

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:21 am
none of this woulda happened if we all sat down privately instead of creating and then crying in a public thread.
"the game's goal is literally to be an ass to someone" You've said NOTHING to deal with that reality since.

pancake at the disco

#19 Post by pancake at the disco » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:13 am

lets just end this please, whatever happened happened, you can think what you think, and i can think what i think, now we're just prolonging this thread, its just a game, the end.

THC

#20 Post by THC » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:00 am

TomareUtsuZo wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:37 pm
There is nothing personal here. I am not angry. I am not emotional about it. I am just calling a spade a spade. My initial post was one of honest surprise. I'd played a quite a number of games, and not once have I had a player act in a way I can easily identify as griefing. Why do some of you seem so offended by calling behavior the behavior that it is?
OK - let's have a look who the griefer is. France did something you don't like in a game, and you bring it to the forum, in an on-going game. France pisses you off - let's forget the "I am not angry" comment because you obviously are/were - because they don't play in a certain way, and your response is to write a forum post to moan about it. Isn't that trying to disrupt the game? And, frankly, bringing it to the forum, while the game is being played, is questionable. Wait until the EOG/AAR.
TomareUtsuZo wrote:
But, what do you call it when a power makes the most unreasonable demands, creates a war machine to attack you, and KEEPs the the posture of attacking you, after getting ganked by someone else, and leaves their underbellies even softer to the player who betrayed their trust?
I call that playing Diplomacy. Not necessarily the best or most logical way to play, but then there's nothing to say that someone has to play logically. Whether something is "unreasonable" or not is a matter of opinion. You've heard of negotiating, right? Start high and negotiate down? Again, not what a lot of players do but that doesn't mean it's unheard of.

Being an Armoured Duck isn't new. It's been around for years. Who knows why someone takes that path - could be all sorts of reasons. If someone is going to follow a certain strategy no matter what, the question should be what you can do about it - in the game.

What are you hoping to achieve in the game by bringing it to the forum? Possibly nothing. But you've failed to keep something from a game in that game. I've no respect for that.
TomareUtsuZo wrote:
Let me ask you the same thing I asked of Mercy, what do you have to add that would be of substance? If I am wrong, I'll listen.
Anything of substance? Bring something of substance to the forum and you'll get something of substance back. All you're doing is moaning - so you're getting moaning back. I can see why you've been away from the game.