I'm back... and I'm sorry

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Squigs44
Developer
Developer

I'm back... and I'm sorry

#1 Post by Squigs44 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:08 am

Hello everyone,

If you joined webDip in the last year or so you probably don't know me, but for the old timers, I am back. Almost exactly a year ago I started a new job after graduating college, moved across the US, and generally had a lot of life changes. With all of this, I had less free time, and had to make adjustments in my life. At first I tried to just cut back on webDip a little bit, but eventually (and for other personal reasons) I stopped webDip altogether. I ghosted webDip.

People ghost webDip all the time, its a hobby where people come and go (I even ghosted webDip for three years from 2015-2018 after joining back in 2014). But in this particular instance, I feel awful for what I did. You see, back in the Fall, I made two commitments - I committed to finish up the dev work I did on Ghost Ratings, and I committed to help Goldie host the World Cup tourney. In both instances, I left without an explanation to Goldie or the dev/mod team, and without trying to find a replacement co-host or anything.

So this thread is my way of saying sorry to Goldie to for leaving him high and dry with the World Cup tourney. Sorry to the other devs for not being able to help out when I said I could. And sorry to everyone on webDip for getting everyone excited about the integration of GR into the site and then not seeing it through completely in the ways that I originally intended.

As far as webDip as a whole goes, it looks like yall didn't miss me one bit and are doing just fine without me, so that makes me feel a bit better about the whole thing. I still don't have a bunch of free time, so I am not going to commit to anything, but I look forward to reintegrating myself into this site that I have had fun with (on and off) for the last 7 years. Maybe I'll join a gunboat game to get my feet wet again. Maybe I'll join mafia again and remember why I both love and hate it. And if the stars line up just right, maybe I'll do a few dev things here and there. But for now, I'm going to go clean out the 152 unread PMs I have in my inbox.

Squigs44

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: I'm back... and I'm sorry

#2 Post by goldfinger0303 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:02 am

No worries Squigs, glad to have you back.

And most of those PM's are probably from me haha.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#3 Post by kestasjk » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:43 am

Welcome back squigs! We are not doing just fine without you buddy.. we've just moved server and things are somehow worse, it's a bit of a nightmare. I've taken some leave to try and really get my teeth into reoptimizing the system and do the server move but I need to take more and will be week after next, hopefully it'll get sorted out then

JECE

#4 Post by JECE » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:46 pm

Thanks for all that you do, Kestas!

Funny enough, when I read "squigs", I thought that figlesquidge was back. People come and go and leave their mark. It's the nature of the beast, and I'm glad for it, because it means that we're open source and free.

Dejan0707

#5 Post by Dejan0707 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:54 pm

JECE wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:46 pm

Funny enough, when I read "squigs", I thought that figlesquidge was back.
The same thing happened to me :-)

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#6 Post by Squigs44 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:52 pm

Thanks Goldie, and I think I got the PMs sorted by now.

Kestas, I see the server changes, and I know what a big change this is. I don't have much experience working with servers, but if you need an extra set of eyes to look over some code changes, I might be able to take some time to help out where I can.

And regrettably, I never knew figlesquidge personally, but I've heard legends of him from some of the oldies.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by bo_sox48 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:59 pm

Squigs, if you can tell me where your old guide for a Mac Docker image setup for a local webDiplomacy instance is, all is forgiven on my end. I know it's somewhere :?

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#8 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:07 am

Welcome back Squiggly Squigs, we had huge fun when the BlighterDalekBots failed to put in orders and lots of bBot games with open positions appeared & lunatics like Daffy Old me joined as many as we could then realised the horrible mistake that was in commitment time. I was being so good at the dreaded Reliability Caper and then in last 24hrs because I just happen to have a lot going on I missed orders in one game and with my track record the Reliability Police busted me.
Good news is my embrionic career as Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher is moving towards a critical point, I am in Adelaide Heat2 of four Adelaide heats of a national Antipodean comedy competition, RAW comedy competition linked to Melbourne International Comedy Festival so heats in all major Australian capital cities and finals in Melbourne? & winners there to Edinburgh comedy festival, although I wouldn't be able to go overseas until.my Criminal trial on charge of committing assault on a private security guard working for new Chinese Consulate in Joslin Adelaide on Tuesday 30th March this year will take at least nine months to year or longer to be resolved.
Dusty Balzac will either Blaze like a Comet or Crash and Burn Spectacularly but I will not be insipid hesitant dull or mute.