Omnipresent Zultar's fantastic Holiday Diplomacy Game

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
CptMike

Re: Omnipresent Zultar's fantastic Holiday Diplomacy Game

#21 Post by CptMike » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:56 pm

Link towards the game that is talked about : Holiday Contest Game

8-)

And I am 51.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#22 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:00 am

Not an enthusiastic young whippersnapper Millennial but vis a vis Aged & Daffy Old MM you're a much younger Chap CaptMike. Thanks for posting the link.
I've had a quick look at Spring 02 moves. Austria, Turkey and Italy are "off to the races" & moving impressively.
Germany~ good, daring risk a disbanding of fleet Belgium & got away with it.
England, wear the Walsingham Severe Disapproval Cap of Disgrace.
CzarDipComrade Octavious our Oracle. It's looking grim for you, no friends and a dangerous alliance attacking you.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#23 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:03 am

CaptMike, France. Solid effort. Stabbed by the act I would expect from a cork brained clown. Never stab like that in a Spring move. Stab like that in the Autumn move if you must. Strategically dumb imho as well.

MajorMitchell

#24 Post by MajorMitchell » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:38 am

Gather close Webdiplomacy Comrades, Daffy Old MM has been contemplating with his clockwork brain, subconscious pendulums, or is it penduli, no I think pendulums, swinging back & forth. Enthusiastic whippersnapper Millennials and Fledglings are advised to read this post slowly, several times, a Daffy Old MM Dissertation begins.

Important notice is made of a player replacement, CaptMike for unknown reasons has left the game and is replaced by Goldfinger, a legendary player with an Awesome Reputation, a Masterful Midas with the Webdiplomacy points, Shrewdness beyond George Soros in manipulations of the Webdiplomacy points Stock Exchanges​.

Long ago in the history of webdiplomacy​ when Daffy Old MM hadn't joined this Happy Community and Omnipotent Zultar and nearly Omniscient Kestas were young whippersnapper Creators of webdiplomacy there was the Great Webdiplomacy points Ponzi scheme Bubble & Crash instigated by those we cannot name and who were long ago banished for their wickedness.
Twas Goldfinger's timely intervention that confounded the conspirators and totally bankrupted them, they just couldn't match his reserves or cool canniness. The webdiplomacy points exchanges stabilised quickly and the Wicked Conspirators banished to Eternal Exile.

There's some amusing global messages from the players to greet Goldfinger to the game, noting the quality of new entrant that Omnipotent Zultar has plucked from.his array of Topline Gunslingers at the Machiavellian Diplomacy Caper.

CTA with England. I hope this player stays in the game. I've been critical of his strategy and tactics without much information other than watching this game. So I've done what all players should do, look at CTA's player page.
CTA joined webdiplomacy in early October 2020 and is a new member. Finished four games, playing two. Won his first game with France, I haven't looked at how by looking at archive maps.
His second run with Turkey was a defeat. Game is notable for having four civil disorders and a probable cheater "Multani" with a red cross.
3rd run, Russia defeat.
4th run with Italy survived with zero scs and two units, game won by CSteinhardt with Turkey.
Those are the finished four games.
In one of the two current games CTA with England will likely win. Has thirteen scs and next three easy gets and should romp home to win.

Using the strategy that is the same as being used in this game. Attack France from the start. Get an alliance with Germany, get fleets to Mediterranean and get Tunis, then stab Germany. It's a sound strategy.

I think it has weaknesses which I choose not to elaborate at this point in time. I'm aware that players are perhaps reading this thread. What I will say is that in my early years at webdiplomacy I was doing some form guide research looking at other players previous games.
I stumbled upon a player in the absolute stratosphere of top players and looked through a win he had with England against high quality players. What an educational experience it was for me. I was humbled. I learnt so much from dissecting that game.
There are​ big differences between strategies and tactics of how that player went about his work and CTA. Almost antithetical.

I would note that the player with Germany that's getting stabbed in the game CTA will almost certainly win with England is not in my opinion in the class of Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel who has Germany in the fantastic Holiday Competition Game.

That's one weakness with CTA's strategy with it's use in this game, in my opinion.

CTA did play the autumn 01 move from English channel to Mid Atlantic, not bouncing French army Picardy to Brest which was what I would do when I played England and used the fleet London to English channel spring 01 move, fleet Ed to North sea, army Liverpool to Ed/Yorkshire opening moves.

I have many times tried that strategy with England but prefer not to use it and go with two fleets North opening. When I did play a successful invasion of France early I did it differently to what I've seen in CTA's path to thirteen scs.

So I'm looking forward to seeing how this game plays out.
CTA should have expected the probability of a bounce with army Norway to St P and fleet Edinburgh should have moved to Norwegian sea imho. CTA probably has the experience to have considered army Norway to Finland, fleet North sea to Norway option. The other really good move set is, go for the bounce in St Petersburg with army Norway and move fleet North sea to skagerack and fleet Ed to North sea.

MajorMitchell

#25 Post by MajorMitchell » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:48 am

I'm also interested in the choice CzarDipComrade Octavious our Oracle makes, risk St P to save Sevastapol or risk Sevastapol.
I'd deliberately risk Sevastapol. If I'm playing Russia and if I'm getting done over by a Turkish or Turkish and Austrian alliance and England doesn't help me, I throw my Russian scs to Turkey.
Sometimes I'll do my utmost to enable Turkey to get as many of my scs as possible, quickly, to punish the other players with a powerful Turkey after I'm defeated.

MajorMitchell

#26 Post by MajorMitchell » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:57 am

The Autumn 02 move has been played and Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel with Germany gained Holland and Sweden and has invaded France. CTA with England gave the support move to Germany's​ attack on Sweden.
chluke with Turkey gained Rumania and Greece in smooth alliance moves with Austria who gained Sevastapol.
CzarDipComrade Octavious our Oracle with Russia lost Sweden and Sevastapol and only has three scs, Moscow Warsaw and St P left.
Our Protestant Pontiff has realised that Turkey and Austria are a genuine threat and has abandoned his attack on France and scurried back east, but probably won't have the units to hold off Turkey's stronger force of fleets.
Goldfinger with France played well, recaptured Brest and fleet Mid Atlantic to Irish Sea is a good aggressive move.
England is now a servant of Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel.
I haven't calculated Walsingham scale marks for the Autumn move, yet it's certain that Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel, chluke and cdrivera will score best.
India first innings.. 5/169 in Test Cricket Match, Australia scored 369 in first innings. I'm including this to cheer up CzarDipComrade Octavious our Oracle.
All the best diplomacy & test cricket scores

MajorMitchell

#27 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:52 am

Thanks for the first +1 in many posts so perhaps I'll lead out with Test Cricket. In the fourth day of the India v Australia Test Cricket, in their first innings Australia scored 369 & should have kept Indian first innings to 270-300 runs at most & had a lead of 70-100 runs but the Indian team played well and got to within about 30 runs of Australian first innings total. As I write this, Australia in their second innings are 0/84 with a lead of 117 runs. There's been a smidgen of rain about and it hasn't been hot weather so far in the match so the pitch isn't dried out & cracked up as much as it often is in Australia in summer.(particularly other grounds) Bit of rain, mild weather ~the Sydney pitch on a fifth day is where a team can be skittled for 150 if it's "greasy"pitch & humid or score big total to win if it's mild weather with lower humidity, good cool Southeast breezes and the pitch is still almost like third day pitch, reasonably good for batting. Sydney Cricket Ground is easy places to score boundaries, a batsman can rattle out fours to short boundaries & score quickly. So an Australian victory is not an assured outcome at all, given the Australian bowling attacks relative inability to dismiss what in some ways is almost an Indian second eleven team, Kohli went home for birth of baby, injuries have led to replacements, so this Australian test team should be doing better. Oh they've lost two wickets, they're 2for 91, lead by 124. They need a lead of at least 300...

MajorMitchell

#28 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:21 am

The fantastic Holiday Competition Game.
I've studied the scribblings in my notebook and realised that I had miscalculated CTA,s marks.
So I marked CTA this
Spring 01 -1
Autumn +0.5
Build +0.25
First year -0.25 ( not 1.75)
Spring 02 0
Autumn. 0.1
Current total minus 0.15

Other players
Goldfinger France spring 02 0.4. Autumn 0.7 score 1.1
Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel Germany first year 1.7 spring 02 0.5 Autumn 1 current total 3.2 leading the group.
cdrivera Austria first year 1.95 spring 02 0.5 Autumn 0.5 current total 2.95
chluke Turkey first year 0.75 Spring 02 0.5 autumn 0.75 current total 2
Crazy Anglican Italy first year 0.2 spring 02 0 autumn 0.25 current total 0.45.
Observations.
The Austrian ~Turkish alliance is going well and emerging as a potential game controlling pair of players.
Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel with Germany is the dominant player in the northwest, the question for me with how well Germany goes, is what sort of alliance partner will CTA be? I see no real alternative for CTA than absolute obedience to Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel. If CTA does exactly as Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel instructs particularly with orders & moves then Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel could win without having to spear England in the end game.
If CTA quibbles over tactics etc, is not 100% reliable and dutiful then Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel has reasonable cause to spear England and get rid of CTA.
However because Goldfinger has France and Austria and Turkey are big threat, if CTA is absolutely reliable servant partner for Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel then CTA has best chance of survival. CTA can't win from here, could lose, best possible outcome is to survive as servant of Germany in a Draw. That means getting fleets past France to Mediterranean asap. Complete aquiescence to Germany.

MajorMitchell

#29 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:31 am

How do Austria and Turkey proceed? Stay United, smash Russia, with priority on driving North through Russia and Northwest against Germany early. Attack Italy and perhaps use Goldfinger against Germany and England rather than attack France?
Or there could be the "lovers falling out" with one deciding on an internal restructuring sooner rather than later. That's what Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel would like to see, so probably Goldfinger & it can't come soon enough for Crazy Anglican

MajorMitchell

#30 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:36 am

Australia 4/130 lead 163. Pathetic batting from top order batsmen. India are giving themselves a chance to win this match. Get Steve Smith out and another wicket before Australia get to 180 (lead ~210 six wickets taken, four to get) and they could be chasing less than 300

MajorMitchell

#31 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:46 am

Ha ha, the test cricket match is at the Gabba in Brisbane and there is a tricky crack in the pitch

MajorMitchell

#32 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:31 am

India need 328 (+1?) runs in their second innings & I'm in Adelaide and can't watch on TV or listen to on radio.

Octavious

#33 Post by Octavious » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:14 pm

That was one hell of a match

MajorMitchell

#34 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:02 am

Congratulations to the Indian Cricket Team for playing exceptionally good cricket at the Gabba to create a glorious victory. They have really played well in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane after being defeated in first test match in Adelaide. Quite a few Indian players who came into their team to replace injured players made the most of the opportunity, particularly the Indian bowlers at Brisbane & Kohli their best player only played in Adelaide. So to score over 300 and win was a superb achievement.

I saw the Australian Captain Tim Paine's tv interview afterwards when he commented about the inevitable criticism the Australian Cricket team would get & he used the term armchair critics who weren't the ones on the field doing the job. I suspect I'm not alone in thinking when Paine said it, "but you're not collectively doing the job on the field properly"

Fantastic Holiday Competition Game is paused so Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel can travel, by land sea or air, Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel ventures from Strife to Sanctuary and I hope has a safe & enjoyable trip. Perhaps fleeing Washington for Aspen? Getting far away from Florida. Finally relieved of the onerous responsibility of being one of the few sane persons at the White House???

MajorMitchell

#35 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:23 pm

The game is back on again, Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel with Germany built two armies and Turkey has built fleets

MajorMitchell

#36 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:31 pm

Good news for enthusiastic fledglings, disengaged Millennials & other Scallywags, there's been the first good betrayal & backstab, cdrivera with Austria has ambushed chluke with Turkey.
Our Protestant Pontiff played well, made a supported move to Ionian sea and moved army Naples to Apulia.
Austria might be working with Italy if so then our Protestant Pontiff has a choice of sticking with that or stabbing Austria this move and taking Trieste. I think Austria has promised Greece to Italy?
chluke is upset about the stab, whining in global posts & pleading for assistance which is understandable and Austrian propaganda reply in global posts is I think quite polished, yet the denials of the stab being a way to get a Solo Win later on lack the full veracity quotient imho (as they always do, unless it's Daffy Old MM who has disturbing tendencies to honour too many commitments to have Draws)
So I'm not convinced that our Protestant Pontiff should delay stabbing Austria, I think an immediate stab by Italy against Austria is the thing to do. Alliance with Austria would get rid of Turkey, but Austria will be so powerful that Italy could never stab later and defeat Austria.
Stabbing Austria now gives Italy the chance to defeat Austria and contain Turkey who is the loyal ally who got stabbed. Probably the better long term partner for Italy as long as Italy gets Turkey to disband fleets then later only build armies.

Another stab I'd like to see is England take Denmark this move.
I discern the genius of Omnipotent Zultar's gunslinger extroadinare, Goldfinger with France in CTA's moves, bouncing German unit in Belgium in the spring move. To Take Denmark, or not to take Denmark CTA? That is a question. To be the servant of wily Goldfinger or the servant of Uber~Clausewitzean Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel, that is the dillema indeed. Which consummation is to be devoutly desired? CzarDipComrade Octavious our Oracle with Russia is still in the game, but alas doomed unless miracles​ rain on his every move.

This autumn move is a cracker.

MajorMitchell

#37 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:36 pm

Italy might not have the opportunity to stab and get Trieste. Austria might have moves set up so Trieste is protected

MajorMitchell

#38 Post by MajorMitchell » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:47 am

As an important diplomacy capering period of an Autumn move continues, Austria, Italy & Germany have orders at grey tick status whilst England, La Belle Francais, Russia and Turkey are still at double red exclamation status. Eager Fledglings might consider what this might signify.
It might be a guide to the differences in strategic positions, three players have relatively settled plans and tactics & four are still negotiating and arrangements, strategies and tactics are not yet settled.

I think chluke with Turkey has to do his best to fight but also threaten Italy in particular with the threat..
"If you don't help then I will create an Austrian Monster by giving Austria all my scs. I will only fight Austria for two moves, this autumn move & next spring. If you don't attack Austria by next spring then I will stop fighting Austria and deliberately allow him to get all my scs quickly & he'll stab you Italy to get the solo win"
chluke should threaten everyone else with that threat, he will fight this move and if he sees help, keep fighting, but if they don't help, be will fold to Austria immediately.
Tom Bombardier with Germany and a few players experienced me with Russia react to a late mid game stab by Tom on me that forced them, in controversial circumstances to gang up on me then have a draw.. so it did stop Tom from getting his Solo Win.
When Tom stabbed, rather than retreat units and counter attack which I could have done, I disbanded units and vacated scs to advantage Tom, make a Solo Win an uncontested cakewalk for him. Everyone got do cross because I wouldn't fight a losing fight.

MajorMitchell

#39 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:58 am

The Autumn move had been played & Russia and Turkey have retreat orders to do & I hope that Turkey waits it out because I'm busy as a Golden Green & Blue Blowfly. I'm at Enigma Bar open mic night, outside before the show.
In the Autumn move Goldfinger played extremely well, captured Liverpool and opened up Marseilles for a build.
Austria and Italy landed Italian army in Greece, Austria captured Warsaw with help from Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel.
Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel helped England get St P and was too defensive with army Burgundy imho, too static on that front.
chluke Turkey played average moves at best.
Goldfinger & cdrivera take the Walsingham scale marks this year.
Still think Italy should have stabbed Austria and taken Greece with his help and stolen Trieste.

MajorMitchell

#40 Post by MajorMitchell » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:07 am

Well the game had a pause which I found useful because of busy work load in pursuit of career as Performing Comedic Artist.
The few builds & disbands were made, if any & the spring move has been played.
Omnipotent Zultar's choice of replacement player for La Belle Francais, Goldfinger has consistently improved the position of France in the game. CTA with England has attacked Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel with Germany and moved a fleet into unnocupied Denmark & can threaten Sweden (unnocupied German sc) Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel has an army in Finland and has vacated Burgundy and silesia.in a mass movement back into Kiel, Ruhr Munich Holland and Belgium. Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel did get control of English channel, but may be booted out by Goldfinger who has fleets in Brest Mid Atlantic & Wales. London is unnocupied but CTA has fleet North sea to protect it in this now Autumn move.
So Goldfinger is showing his class in this field.
In the other arena, Goldfinger's moves allow our Protestant Pontiff to go east hard in alliance with Austria.
It looks like Austria and Italy are determined to eliminate Turkey which is a common alliance & occurrence.
Our Protestant Pontiff needs to remember the stab by Austria against Turkey and understand that once Turkey is fatally crippled, Austria will almost certainly attack him. So our Protestant Pontiff should plan to move first imho, if he can get Goldfinger to support Italy against Austria which is the better play for Goldfinger in my opinion, then Italy could do very well.
CzarDipComrade Octavious our Oracle survives with one army in Moscow dependant on a support hold from English army St P. That's about denying Austria Moscow.
chluke with Turkey is almost certainly doomed and could be eliminated before CzarDipComrade Octavious our Oracle.