Omnipresent Zultar's fantastic Holiday Diplomacy Game

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

Re: Omnipresent Zultar's fantastic Holiday Diplomacy Game

#61 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:26 am

Oh it changes CTA nto cats. O. I be fatigued

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#62 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon May 03, 2021 9:08 am

Well it is Spring 1914 retreats I think in Omnipotent Zultar's fantastic Holiday Competition Game and unsurprisingly, chluke with Turkey has withdrawn his Draw vote just before Goldfinger put in his Draw vote.
Goldfinger was always going to wait until CTA with England was defeated before voting for a Draw & that only occurred after Autumn 1913 builds because CTA didn't lose his last scan until 1913.

In my opinion chluke with Turkey was always going for a Solo Win and perhaps our Protestant Pontiff with Italy should have realised this sooner.

Provided our Protestant Pontiff resolves to stay in alliance with Goldfinger and Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel and that alliance don't make any mistakes then I believe that they can force a draw.

I am pleased to see CTA defeated, his weathervane changes of alliance, poor strategy and tactics with England didn't impress me at all.
cdrivera tried with Austria but was trapped by his alliance with Turkey at the start & our Protestant Pontiff & CzarDipComrade Octavious with Russia I suspect may have forced cdrivera into that unfortunate strategic position. Then cdrivera messed up stabbing Turkey and got wedged between hostile forces, Italy and Turkey with Turkey being the winner.

If it ends in a Draw then the Walsingham Results would be:
Equal first place, Goldfinger and chluke.
Honourable mention to Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel, for realising that he had to make an alliance with Goldfinger and doing it although it meant Germany wouldn't be a major power and Goldfinger's​ France would become much more powerful than Germany. He made the right strategic choice in my opinion and unlike our Protestant Pontiff who joined that alliance and wavered, was ill disciplined, Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel stick with the strategic choice once made and has been a superb ally for Goldfinger.

MajorMitchell

#63 Post by MajorMitchell » Wed May 05, 2021 3:19 am

The Spring 1915 move has been played in Omnipotent Zultar's fantastic Holiday Competition Game.
Goldfinger with France and chluke with Turkey have jointly attacked Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel with Germany and it looks like they have agreed to a three way draw, where Goldfinger and chluke get sixteen scs each and our Protestant Pontiff with Italy has two. Unless they decide to get rid of him as well and have a seventeen SC each two way draw, just Goldfinger and chluke.

Fledglings and young whippersnapper Millennials should take notice of the ruthlessness of Goldfinger with his treatment of Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel.
I dislike this treatment of Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel and that is a subjective, emotional response by me, because I place a high value on loyalty, perhaps too high a value for the Machiavellian Diplomacy Caper.
I understand the pragmatic, ruthlessness of Goldfinger, it is what makes him one of Omnipotent Zultar's Best DipComrades.& Member of Omnipotent Zultar's Cohort of Champions. Goldfinger is probably also a Grand High Inquisitor, although that is such a mysterious and powerful group that it's dangerous to even mention them, yet applicants for positions as Novice Almighty Mods should be made aware that they are required to pass Examination by the Grand High Inquisitors to become a Novice Almighty Mod.
Maniac & I have tried & failed, I can never correctly answer the question on how in Ancient Mediterranean variant a player convoys an army through the eye of Cleopatra's Needle to invade and capture The Promised Land of Milk & Honey & King Solomon's Gold Mines.

Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel risked this betrayal by Goldfinger when he made the strategic choice to accept alliance with Goldfinger to prevent chluke with Turkey from getting a Solo Win.
He sacrificed his ambitions for a higher purpose and was an absolutely loyal partner to Goldfinger, unlike the wavering Protestant Pontiff with Italy.
So Goldfinger has done something I would not do and therein lies a difference in attitudes towards loyalty and ethics within this diplomacy capering, which is as it should be. A uniformity would be unnatural.

MajorMitchell

#64 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue May 11, 2021 11:46 pm

Tis Spring 1917 in Omnipotent Zultar's fantastic Holiday Competition Game and Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel with Germany has been defeated, so it's down to three players, chluke with Turkey, Goldfinger with France and our Crazy Anglican Protestant Pontiff with Italy.
Both Goldfinger and Crazy Anglican have Draw votes up, chluke withdrew his draw vote to avoid a draw and have a go for a Solo Win.
I can't see chluke being able to get a Solo Win and it looks like a three way draw is inevitable.

MajorMitchell

#65 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri May 14, 2021 1:55 am

Omnipotent Zultar's fantastic Holiday Competition Game has finished with a three way draw. chluke with Turkey, Goldfinger with France dominant in scs and power with a most fortunate Crazy Anglican playing the Protestant Pontiff role with Italy who ended with just two scs, Rome and Naples.
So the Walsingham awards go,
chluke takes first place, narrowly from Goldfinger. chluke was in the game from the start, was double crossed by Austria (did chluke manipulate Austria's rash stab at Turkey???) & played on that brilliantly and continuously dissembled with Draw vote & spin.. the Solo Win, not me spin, LoL. chluke's​ manipulations got Crazy Anglican & the weathervane CTA to do things they definitely should not have done imho that really catapulted Turkey's rapid advances. Moscow gifted by CTA. Venice by Crazy Anglican's dithering.

My Daffy Old Dusty Balzac Medal for Loyalty and Honourable Conduct goes to Das Urkomisch Ausglassen Dargorygel with Germany.

The Walsingham Cane is pointed like a First Australian Kadaichi pointing a bone but without that feared bone's lethal consequence, it signals severe disapprobation in the direction of CTA with England. Reckless, feckless, an alliance weathervane spinning, no coherent strategy, poor tactics.

Thank you Readers of my dissertations and scribblings, 8,000+ views has my publishers at Omnipotent Zultar's Magic Cave beaming with delight. Webdiplomacy Publishing* need successful threads in their Bwave New Forum with More Decorum and readers of my threads are stepping up and helping, so thank you.

MajorMitchell

#66 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri May 14, 2021 1:58 am

Nukkan, Au Revoir, En Avante Mes Amis

Octavious

#67 Post by Octavious » Fri May 14, 2021 9:20 am

What rash stab at Turkey? Austria's stab against Turkey was excellent and should have spelled the end of Turkey's game and the start of Austrian ascendancy. The only significant mistake of Turkey's game was allowing it to happen. But, for reasons that aren't immediately obvious, Austria decided he could somehow take on Italy as well which both doomed him and gifted Turkey a route back to the end game.

zultar
Lifetime Site Contributor

#68 Post by zultar » Fri May 14, 2021 1:29 pm

Congrats to goldfinger, chluke, and Crazy Anglican. I would love to get an EoG out of this game. If you have a chance to do that, that'd be great. Points are coming. Since goldie doesn't want the points, the 1000 will be split per supply center among chluke and Crazy Anglican.

zultar
Lifetime Site Contributor

#69 Post by zultar » Fri May 14, 2021 1:29 pm

Just kidding, just kidding. PPSC is an abomination. :)

500 points to chluke and Crazy Anglican.

MajorMitchell

#70 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri May 14, 2021 3:13 pm

I have hinted about readers giving +1s to the scribbling author as a signal to my publishers that readers respect Intellectual Property Rights of scribblers and I would diplomatically suggest that if a person used this extremely popular thread to announce awards a little nod of appreciation towards the scribbling author would be appropriate.

Octavious makes an interesting point, however I am not sure that the attack on turkey was well timed, it was premature in my opinion, waiting until Italy was fatally crippled might have been better. I invite Octavious our Oracle to write the thread for Omnipotent Zultar's next fantastic Holiday Competition Game.

Octavious

#71 Post by Octavious » Fri May 14, 2021 4:27 pm

Good Lord, no :razz:

Not a chance I have the patience to repeat your performance. It's been a fine effort and an interesting perspective on events. I wouldn't want to besmirch it with a lesser follow up.

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#72 Post by goldfinger0303 » Fri May 14, 2021 9:19 pm

Well, I'll give my shot at a much abridged EoG, as my part in this game was rather limited.

I walked into a France under attack from all sides after Spring 02. After some desperate communications, I get a clear commitment from Italy to save my life, which I would spend the rest of the game repaying. England I somehow ended up convincing as well to back off, but they weren't quite on my side yet. I spent much of 1903 trying to convince powers to save Russia's life, but that was ultimately unsuccessful. But my primary goal throughout most of the early game was getting Germany off of me, and that was a slog to do. I took Liverpool in Fall 03 because I didn't fully trust England, and thought a build would only be used against me, and used this opportunity to lay the groundwork for E and G to turn on each other. Which, in 1904 they promptly did.

Around this time is also when I was fielding a lot of questions from Italy on whether they should ally with Turkey or not. I weakly encouraged an alliance with Turkey, because having the corner power alive boosted my solo chances.

I honestly do forget why Austria turned on Italy. Turkey had been courting me to fight the Italian, but I naturally refused. My communication with Austria pretty much stopped in 1904, after I informed Austria of Turkey's threat to throw his SC's to Austria to deny Italy anything. I was very happy with the status quo of AI vs. T in the East, and then I flipping once A got too powerful. But that ultimately wasn't meant to be by 1905. I did remember the StP taps of Moscow for the rest of the game, though. And as Turkey grew stronger I never could fully trust England because of this, who was helping Turkey with that unit even though it could've helped in his attack on Germany. That meant England was deeper in Turkey's pocket than mine.

1905 was also my biggest blunder, as I took some advice from Turkey a little too literally, and thought I could handle both England and Germany on my own. I was sorely mistaken on this, and a bad guess with Liverpool in 1906 made my position desperate, and I once again was pleading with Germany for peace, starting with a disband in Tyrolia that I had leveraged to get there for the purpose of taking Munich. (On a side note, it was mainly a blunder because of this poor execution...I do maintain that with the right moveset I could've taken Edi and Munich that year and blown up their whole position)

Given that my strength was in fleets and I had a better shot at cracking England than Germany, my focus was on fighting England for the next several years, and trying to appease the German. This is where I became very fortunate that Turkey attempted to solo, and quite bewildered that I actually got England to stab Germany. I still suspect this was Turkey's doing and not mine, as the destruction of all those German armies was his easiest way across the stalemate line (which turned out to be true).

And its extremely fortunate that I had taken Belgium that turn in 1908 because if I hadn't, Turkey may have very well broken through Italy. I was once again confused by England's actions in 1909 because once it became clear that there was a line against Turkey in the south he should have realized that there was no part for him on the stalemate and fought tooth and nail to get there.

The latter years were me just trying to mop up England and prevent a Turkish solo. I of course tried to maneuver to take Tunis and maintain leverage on Munich via Tyrolia to keep hopes of a solo run alive for myself, but with the German position at the end of 1911, it was fairly clear that there would be no solo.

I became a little disengaged at this point, which I would almost rue, and didn't quite pay attention to the German positioning. The German moves from 1911-1912 were disastrous, especially as I didn't have any armies to backstop Munich. That almost spelled the end of the game there. Naturally I took advantage of what builds I could get, and with Tunis safely in hand I started thinking about my own ways to solo. I had noticed there was a gap to exploit at Livonia, so in my negotiations with Turkey I sought for an "easy" 2-way draw that would have him cede me Munich. I have him disband that extra army that's crawling north, take Livonia and use that leverage to gain Berlin for the win.

Things didn't turn out that way, and I *really* didn't like the Rome solution Turkey was offering, but I only agreed with it an started implementing it when I found a path to a solo that way (that Italy had already tried to throw to me). I start pursuing that, Italy tells Turkey and the game draws.

It was a well played game by all, and I'm glad I could take part. Apologies for this abridged version not being so abridged :)

Crazy Anglican

#73 Post by Crazy Anglican » Fri May 14, 2021 10:27 pm

So, as the waffling Protestant Pontiff of this game I am not sure I can give a really good EoG, but I'll try.
We’re a Central Powers Alliance….Right?
At the beginning of the game I was very much determined to be part of a Central Powers alliance with Dargorygel and rdrivera. After talking specifically with Germany I was sold on the idea. Thus Austria was going to eliminate Turkey (with my help?) and Germany was going on the offensive against France (with my help?). This I believe was my first of many blunders in this game. I apparently did not follow up well with press with my allies and came out with the idea that I was going after Turkey with Austria. Only to find out that Germany and Austria both expected me to go for France. By this time Turkey was in the mix as well pitching heavily the idea that he and Austria go for Russia and I go for France (which is what pretty much everyone but France and England wanted me to do)
So in Autumn of 1901 I violated my Piedmont DMZ with France, which led to quite a colorful exchange in press with him. At this point, I was the sole target of French aggression and really figured that I had failed in gaining a solid ally in the opening game. Then came the first miracle of the game.
Goldie came in as the new France asking for peace. I nearly pulled a hamstring turning all of my units back eastward; fleeing the French front while bowing, scraping and abasing myself all the way. At this point I was in a bit of a sticky situation being allied to both Germany and France. I didn’t care one bit though, I had survived a horrible blunder by being the craven coward that I would be for the rest of the game.

Austro-Turk’s plaything
With my western front secure at least for the short term, I turned my attention back to the east. By Autumn of 1902 it looked like Austria and Turkey may be looking at invading me. I blocked Austria from the Ionian Sea, but Turkey built two fleets having three total with which to attack me (and really no one else). That’s when the second miracle happened Austria stabbed Turkey. At this point Turkey and I spoke a lot and I outright lied to him a lot. I was still in a Central Powers alliance with Austria and his stab of Turkey just cemented in my mind that the alliance was valid. At no point did I give any credence to the thought of an alliance with Turkey until Austria stabbed me in Spring 1905. Essentially this part of the game saw me trying to make headway by cooperating with Austria, but always falling just short of any real gains. The stab told me why I was having such rotten luck. Working with Turkey after the stab did keep me in the game. I really had not considered Austria moving to Apulia as a possibility until Turkey leaked that information which kept Austria from being able to quickly gain any of my centers. Ultimately Turkey thoroughly outclassed all competition in the Balkans and sent me running back to my home centers waiting for the other shoe to fall.

We were a Central Powers Alliance … right?
By Spring 1909, I was joining with anyone who would try to prevent a Turkish solo. Thus Dargorygel and I were talking closely with Goldie. During this time though Dargo suggested that we work with Turkey (because he was forgoing builds and put up a draw vote). That was when (again out of loyalty to my first ally) I took Turkey’s advice which almost killed me in the game. That was the treacherous move against France that MM scolded me for. Oddly enough it was Germany that didn’t follow through with the orders that Turkey wanted.

France’s friend
At this point, France was my only ally. I made plans to throw the game to him if I had too. When France came to me in the last turn with a plan for throwing the game to him, I entered those move immediately and told Turkey that a French solo was a real possibility. Nobody was more surprised that I when he entered his draw vote.

MajorMitchell

#74 Post by MajorMitchell » Sat May 15, 2021 2:48 am

Thanks Goldfinger and Octavious our Oracle for those End of Game dissertations. Wonderful reading, I had no access to this inside information & had to speculate as we all watched the game. So I do appreciate reading your posts.

I am contemplating how I might negotiate with my publishers at Webdiplomacy Publishing* when the next Omnipotent Zultar's fantastic Holiday Competition Game occurs to encourage readers to post in the possible future thread, my immediate thought being given 370 Lovely Webdiplomacy Points to give away as prizes for the best posts by other contributors as decided by the scribbling author of the thread as one 70 point prize for best EoG post and six 50 point prizes for posts by non players, from readers posts during the game's progress, as decided by Daffy Old Dusty Balzac/MM.
The alluring prizes would encourage readers to post & that would ease the burden, I started this thread on a whim, a spontaneous fancy & by about 1905 realised that it was a demanding exercise & I had trapped myself into something, so laughing at my follies continued resolutely with the thread.
I am amazed by the number of views & thank all who read posts.

Crazy Anglican

#75 Post by Crazy Anglican » Sat May 15, 2021 3:08 am

Well, I was going to say I had never done an EoG before and ask for feedback. It seems MM handled that for me :p

MajorMitchell

#76 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue May 18, 2021 5:12 am

Thank you Kay_B for those kind words. The Bwave New Forum with More Decorum is a place where I can scribble happily although I do use it to prevaricate and avoid other creative writing tasks.
My latest efforts are to create new comedy material.
I can't really use my skit about do it yourself Surgical Enhancement for male Whippersnappers facing inevitable Infertility at Diverse City. Perhaps at a gig like Spoken N Slurred or Enigma Bar.
I am working on a plagiarism, lol, a form.of tribute to Lenny Bruce. My Style is a bit like his, just without the genius.
So it's his London Palladium Theatre piece that I want to imitate.. making it local to Adelaide, so using Her Majesty's​ Theatre Adelaide , about a c grade comic who insists on working a "high class" venue

MajorMitchell

#77 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue May 18, 2021 4:40 pm

LoL. Kay_B is alkeged to be a faker, a dud. I got a pm about it. It's a Spamming pest apparently. Unless the PM was spam? As long as I haven't become a Spambot. Do Spambots dream HAL? Am I a Spambot dreaming I'm a human HAL?
Who understands the HAL reference?

Octavious

#78 Post by Octavious » Tue May 18, 2021 4:50 pm

I'm sorry Mitch, I'm afraid I don't understand that