Worldwide decline in Diplomacy game

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Flame

Worldwide decline in Diplomacy game

#1 Post by Flame » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:04 am

Is it correct to say that Diplomacy game overcomes it's hardest times.
Or it's normal when smth has it's peaks and recessions?
And what happens to Jeremie's Stabbeurfou.org?

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

Re: Worldwide decline in Diplomacy game

#2 Post by MajorMitchell » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:21 am

Q1.. don't know answer
Q2 .. don't know answer
Q3.. don't know answer.
A trifecta of Ignorance is all I have in response.

Beneficial Insurance

#3 Post by Beneficial Insurance » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:53 am

Is diplomacy declining? I don't know, I only started in September.

umbletheheep

#4 Post by umbletheheep » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:17 am

Most people that know the wider hobby would say this last year has been the greatest growth in the hobby creatively and even numbers in years. There have been the rise of Diplomacy discord, f2f virtual tournaments, virtual Diplomacy leagues, multiple new broadcasts and podcasts, many new online tournaments, along with more platforms on more devices than ever before. There's always some stuff that falls away with time, but there's an amazing amount of new initiatives that have started up in a short amount of time. - Founder of the Briefing

Jamiet99uk

#5 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:54 pm

@Flame:

On what basis do you suggest the game is in decline?

I assume that holding face-fo-face events has been much harder over the past 10 months or so, due to the pandemic, but online diplomacy is going on this year just as much as it has in previous years, as far as I can see.

Just speaking in terms of webDip I'm currently in two active games (one gunboat, one press) with one further game about to start, and I rarely have too much of a problem getting a new game going as long as I'm willing to wait a day or two for people to sign up.

I'm wondering where you're seeing this "decline"? Not saying you're wrong, just curious.

Claesar

#6 Post by Claesar » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:56 pm

I estimate our traffic quadrupled since February.

Szpoti
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#7 Post by Szpoti » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:02 pm

Claesar wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:56 pm
Moreover, with players of better morality, if I can risk to use such a fancy word; we've got far fewer cheating cases, almost boring.

Jamiet99uk

#8 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:03 pm

Szpoti wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:02 pm
Claesar wrote:
Moreover, with players of better morality, if I can risk to use such a fancy word; we've got far fewer cheating cases, almost boring.
Perhaps they have just gotten much, much better at it? Maybe what's actually in decline is JMO's ability to pick up the scent of a multi-accounter at 5,000 yards. Nah, that would never happen.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#9 Post by dargorygel » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:08 pm

Szpoti wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:02 pm
Claesar wrote:
Boring is a word with bad connotations. It's almost exciting.

Flame

#10 Post by Flame » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:36 pm

Claesar wrote:
I suppose you'll get much more of it if you or JMO or Kestas instal Vdip and Ru-server variants. Also we need posibility to select the language of interface and language-rooms, where you can create games between the chineese-speaking or russian-speaking players, etc.

I really think it's a bad thing we are to make mirrows instead of making .Net-server more prosperious. ;-)

Jamiet99uk

#11 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:32 pm

Flame wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:36 pm
Claesar wrote:
I suppose you'll get much more of it if you or JMO or Kestas instal Vdip and Ru-server variants. Also we need posibility to select the language of interface and language-rooms, where you can create games between the chineese-speaking or russian-speaking players, etc.

I really think it's a bad thing we are to make mirrows instead of making .Net-server more prosperious. ;-)
Are you drunk?

I have no idea what any of this is supposed to mean.

Again, why do you think there is a "worldwide decline" ?

Flame

#12 Post by Flame » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:02 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:32 pm
Flame wrote:
Claesar wrote:

Are you drunk?

It's your problem, man, you don't get what I'm talking about.
WebDip developers will surely understand my message.

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#13 Post by New England Fire Squad » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:30 pm

Flame wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:02 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Flame wrote:

Are you drunk?

The only thing that makes sense to me is if you are talking about live gaming on this site- it is in precipitous decline, but that's not from less people playing live overall if you count them playing elsewhere. Otherwise, this game has exploded in popularity since the pandemic.

Jamiet99uk

#14 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:40 pm

Flame wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:02 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Flame wrote:

Are you drunk?

That's correct, I don't know what you are attempting to talk about. That is why I asked if you would explain.

If you only wanted your message to be seen by the developers, why not send an email? You created a thread in a public forum so presumably you want to have a public debate.

Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

#15 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:12 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Flame wrote:

Are you drunk?

I might suggest that making fun of someone writing their second (or nth?) language is in bad taste.

My understanding of Flame's point was that we'd have a bigger, less fractured userbase if we didn't split into language-specific sites, but included functionality on webDip that allowed the site to both display in multiple languages and allow people to specify the language they want to play games in.

Jamiet99uk

#16 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:10 am

Peregrine Falcon wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:12 am
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Flame wrote:

Are you drunk?

I might suggest that making fun of someone writing their second (or nth?) language is in bad taste.

My understanding of Flame's point was that we'd have a bigger, less fractured userbase if we didn't split into language-specific sites, but included functionality on webDip that allowed the site to both display in multiple languages and allow people to specify the language they want to play games in.
You misinterpret my remarks. If you read the whole thread you'll notice this wasn't the first time I'd asked Flame to explain what on earth he's going on about when he claims there's a "worldwide decline". He didn't respond to my earlier comment at all. Here's a guy creating a thread, claiming our hobby is suffering from a "worldwide decline" yet giving no clear indication of what causes him to believe that such a decline is occurring.

President Eden

#17 Post by President Eden » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:47 am

Imma be honest I've never seen so much energy for Diplomacy in my time in the hobby. Part of it is definitely the pandemic boom that all these types of hobbies are getting. But the content creation is light years ahead of where it was when I started in 2010. The notion that it's entering "worldwide decline" is nonsense, sorry.

stefanodangello

#18 Post by stefanodangello » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:34 am

Peregrine Falcon wrote:
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Flame wrote:

Are you drunk?

Hold on, we have language-specific sites?

Flame

#19 Post by Flame » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:01 am

stefanodangello wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:34 am
Peregrine Falcon wrote:
Jamiet99uk wrote:

Are you drunk?

Hold on, we have language-specific sites?
webdiplomacy.ru
webdiplomacy.it
webdiplomacy.es
etc....

swordsman3003
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#20 Post by swordsman3003 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:01 am

I felt like 2020 was an explosive year for Diplomacy. I can tell you that my website's readership more than doubled. I got asked to get involved with allll sorts of stuff related to the hobby (not just tournaments!), and people came out of the woodwork to contribute guest content to my blog. And that's just my experience!