A rant about Reliability Rating

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Claesar

Re: A rant about Reliability Rating

#41 Post by Claesar » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:09 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:40 pm
Do not talk about ongoing games on the forum.

(I'm sure that used to be a rule?)
You're wrong, that never used to be a rule.

You cannot talk about ongoing Gunboats. More correctly; you cannot break game press rules.

http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php

Jamiet99uk

#42 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:35 pm

Claesar wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:09 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:40 pm
Do not talk about ongoing games on the forum.

(I'm sure that used to be a rule?)
You're wrong, that never used to be a rule.

You cannot talk about ongoing Gunboats. More correctly; you cannot break game press rules.

http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php
Thank you for correcting me, Claesar.

I see the rule:

"If you are playing in a gunboat (no press/anon game) do not post anything about your game in the forum"

The mention of anon games here is slightly confusing. Is it also against the rules to post about anon games with normal press, or only anon gunboats? If the former, why is this grouped into a rule which at first glance appears just about goonbats?

Claesar

#43 Post by Claesar » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:32 pm

All gunboats are anon (nowadays). This wording is something we should change.

You can post about anon Full Press games. You can even reveal your identity.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#44 Post by jmo1121109 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:05 pm

The only other exceptions for breaking anon are for tournaments which prohibit it in the tournament rules.

TheFlyingBoat

#45 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:51 am

AGuy27 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:47 pm
I think some of these comments are missing the point.
1: Not every game on this website has long phases, excusable missed turns, or a low/non-existent reliability requirement, so the "just play games that let you sleep" argument isn't helpful unless I create a game, which is good advice but it doesn't always work since not every game will fill up.
2: I do try my best to frequently use the website, so the "just be reliable" argument isn't helpful.
Your reliability rating at this point is 12%. When you complained it was at 29%. I'm reasonably convinced at this point that your rating is entirely deserved and that if you can't join any games that is just the system working properly. Please make a better effort. This is ridiculous.

Sunstriker

#46 Post by Sunstriker » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:11 pm

I too have a thing called “a life.”

In it I work a job, I’m also self employed, I take time with family, I clean the house, I (try to) exercise regularly, I play 4 games of Dungeons and Dragons, I hangout with friends (digitally now), I...ya know live.

I also take the time to make sure I don’t miss a turn in Diplomacy. Why? Because there are other players in the game that are counting on me to do my best and not waste their time. In turn I expect them to do their best and not waste mine. Sometimes things come up and life happens, that’s fine. Calling for a Pause when life gets more complex than you’d anticipated is part of the game. As is talking to mods when you need to elevate things.

If you come into a game that has a turn time of 24 hours YOU are making a commitment that you’ll log in at least once in 24 hours to check if you need to submit orders If you can’t make that commitment don’t. If you fail it’s ruining the game for up to 6 other people, more if you’re playing one of those bigger maps. As an adult who knows my limitations I try to avoid games that are less than 36 hours because I know any less than that and I’m not able to fully commit.

Oh and I have respect for other people and their time. If you can’t respect my time or the other folks we’re playing with I don’t want you in my game.