Neil Armstrong screwed up

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.

Did he stuff up?

You may select 1 option

View results

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

Neil Armstrong screwed up

#1 Post by kestasjk » Wed May 06, 2020 11:32 am

No-one talks about this.. Am I crazy or did Neil Armstrong screw up the most important 2 scripted lines ever recorded; the first words man said on another celestial object?

He said “That’s one small step for man, .. [pause] .. one giant leap for mankind.”

Is it just me or does that statement not make sense? One small step for man? You could argue that he was talking about the moon mission being a small step for man, but isn’t mankind the same as man in this context? How is it a small step and giant leap?

What he meant to say is “That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.” right? I will try and find a link to the interview where Neil basically admitted it was a mistake..

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... trong-moon
According to the authors of the 1986 book Chariots for Fire, the astronaut tried to argue it omitted the word "a" but after hearing a recording of the flight he admitted:

"Damn I really did it. I blew the first words on the moon, didn't I?”
There are other theories, but I don’t find them very convincing. What’s also weird is that so many people go along with it as it was heard, which doesn’t make sense.

Of course what he did was incredible, and he seems like he was a great guy, I just think it’s weird how it didn’t register.

cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: Neil Armstrong screwed up

#2 Post by cdngooner » Wed May 06, 2020 12:20 pm

I remember hearing the explanation that there was radio static that covered up the word "a". I'd have to listen to it again to see if that was convincing, especially if its true that Armstrong himself admitted screwing up.

Octavious

#3 Post by Octavious » Wed May 06, 2020 12:21 pm

None of it makes sense if you think about it too much about it. In what sense is Neil stepping off the spacecraft a giant leap for mankind. The giant leaps all occurred some time before back on earth and in testing. There was apparently quite a lot of impressive flying on the way down. Successfully climbing down a ladder... that's very much the lesser of the achievements of the mission.

Still, better that than "Gosh... It's really grey..."

Jamiet99uk

#4 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed May 06, 2020 12:27 pm

"Hello, I am on the moon" doesn't have the right ring to it either.

PRINCE WILLIAM

#5 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Wed May 06, 2020 2:23 pm

I think it is logical that he meant a small step for a man (the one left to land from the ladder on the moon) a giant leap for mankind (to at last get to the nearest celestial body). I think that the matter of what he'd say was in his mind since the day he knew he'd be the first man to step on the moon so he couldn't mess it up or lost it. The static was really heavy and distorted the message.

Bonatogether

#6 Post by Bonatogether » Wed May 06, 2020 3:23 pm

Well, it's better than what Micheal Collins, the pilot, supposedly dared him to do:
"What's that? It's moving!" *scream* *cut mic*

e.m.c^42

#7 Post by e.m.c^42 » Wed May 06, 2020 4:50 pm

Oh, this is cool, I never knew there was a poll feature for the forum. Is there any chance that this be rolled out as an option for regular users? :D

Longneck

#8 Post by Longneck » Thu May 07, 2020 4:11 am

Could've been a technical glitch. Those radio recordings are hard to understand and even that line degrades into static while he's saying "mankind".
https://www.space.com/17307-neil-armstr ... quote.html

And it could've been his Ohio "accent," but being from Indiana I can confirm others have accents, we Midwesterners do not. The theory is plausible, though.
https://www.space.com/21403-neil-armstr ... ccent.html

But above all, he went to Purdue University and is,therefore, infallible.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#9 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu May 07, 2020 4:30 am

Well as many of you would be aware the images and sound messages from the Apollo 11 moon landing that were broadcast were initially received at a tracking station in Australia then sent to NASA in America. It's possible that a goanna (type of lizard) may have scurried across the antenna dish and caused the "a" to not be received properly.
I can remember watching the moon landing on tv at home because we were given a day off school. I was most disappointed that there were no pictures of the moon kangaroos my father told me lived on the moon or the missing WW2 USAAF 8th Airforce B-17.that got lost on it's way to Berlin and landed on the moon.
Once I'd seen the grainy black and white TV images of Niel Armstrong finally step on the moon I ran off outside to play backyard cricket

Wintogreen

#10 Post by Wintogreen » Thu May 07, 2020 4:40 pm

To be fair, he is kind of the coolest human being to ever live, so I'm willing to overlook this particular mistake.

TommyJ

#11 Post by TommyJ » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi! I think Neil Armstrong is like a frontman of some cool rockband. He just did what others said. And that small phrase was his minute of glory. So obviously Neil was nervous about what he saw and what he did.
To my mind his “That’s one small step for man, .. [pause] .. one giant leap for mankind.” will be legendary no matter what it means.
P.S.
I would be very grateful to just thank this person for his courage.
It's not like flying to a neighboring continent.

Matticus13

#12 Post by Matticus13 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:51 pm

Octavious wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:21 pm
None of it makes sense if you think about it too much about it. In what sense is Neil stepping off the spacecraft a giant leap for mankind. The giant leaps all occurred some time before back on earth and in testing. There was apparently quite a lot of impressive flying on the way down. Successfully climbing down a ladder... that's very much the lesser of the achievements of the mission.

I'm not so sure. How 'bout "Look at all the fuckin' grey, Buzz."

TommyJ

#13 Post by TommyJ » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:25 am

Matticus13 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:51 pm
Octavious wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:21 pm
None of it makes sense if you think too much about it. In what sense is Neil stepping off the spacecraft a giant leap for mankind. The giant leaps all occurred sometime before backing on earth and in testing. There was apparently quite a lot of impressive flying on the way down. Successfully climbing down a ladder... that's very much the lesser of the achievements of the mission.

I'm not so sure. How 'bout "Look at all the fuckin' grey, Buzz."
Hmm...

When you are part of what is considered great by many, then whatever you say, everything will be criticized in one way or another. If you think about how you say, then many of us would say simply: Fuck!
Are you curious about what the future first colonizers of Mars will say or people who will achieve any new space goal for the first time?
Why discuss the past when you can judge the future.
Development of technologies, reduction of the cost of launching small satellites. We live in such a time that soon it will not be necessary to participate in national selections and so on to become involved in something cosmic. Private space companies are developing so quickly that in a few years any person who makes a good living will be able to have their own satellite in orbit. See how Britain tried to do it https://www.skyrora.com/blog/satellites