Some ideas

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
sw3dg!n

Some ideas

#1 Post by sw3dg!n » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:29 am

I have some ideas for this site, some small some somewhat bigger and I didn't find a correct place to post this in. So here we go

- Make an idea subforum where people can post their ideas to make this site better.
- Embed the automatic game hyperlink when pasting a gameID
- Link the 2 sets of user profiles (forum and main site) together
- Make automatic game making possible -> for gamemasters so tournament can go about without much fuss and reassigning.
- Going further on the last one. Integrate tournaments.webdiplomacy.net in to the site properly. Be sure every game is properly linked. Make your own brackets so no 3rd party site is needed
- Make a wiki page with info written by members for other members and other sources for a quick look at the different guides. Now these are kinda all over the place
- Make it possible to edit posts (or only the first 3 posts or so in a thread) for longer then only 5 mins. Why? Because tournament threads and all other threads similar can keep their OP updated so members don't have to look in the thread for info.

My current 2 cents to this site

Claesar

Re: Some ideas

#2 Post by Claesar » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:47 am

Thank you for your ideas. We receive a lot of them and have many ourselves. Unfortunately, we don't employ a full-time developer and therefore rely on those who are willing to invest their spare time into making webDip the best site for Diplomacy.

Are you a developer? Would you be willing to learn PhP? We could use your help.

Durga

#3 Post by Durga » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:04 am

Wiki page one is interesting actually. Does anyone know about something like that for diplomacy?

A_Tin_Can
Lifetime Site Contributor

#4 Post by A_Tin_Can » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:43 am

sw3dg!n

#5 Post by sw3dg!n » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:17 pm

Claesar wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:47 am
Thank you for your ideas. We receive a lot of them and have many ourselves. Unfortunately, we don't employ a full-time developer and therefore rely on those who are willing to invest their spare time into making webDip the best site for Diplomacy.

Are you a developer? Would you be willing to learn PhP? We could use your help.
I'm a developer, but into embedded systems. C(++) and python. I can read php. I might be interested to help out here and there without ultimatums. I think it would be interesting to help out on a site and to see how the invisible stuff works. But I feel like the site isn't coded properly in the first place and it would be hell to fix that.

@ATC yeah I know that site. What I meant was for us to have our own wiki page. I think it can benefit our community and get more people to this site. There are some good written pieces floating around here on the forums about 1v1 and gunboat strategy. Those are very valuable imo as 1v1 and gunboat isn't that popular outside this site/the internet (?). It will also give this site some rep and a fixed value. People WILL know after googling that webdip can be a good informative site

Sites like these should run on the community and should be built for the community. It's how it can survive.

Claesar

#6 Post by Claesar » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:51 pm

sw3dg!n wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:17 pm
I'm a developer, but into embedded systems. C(++) and python. I can read php. I might be interested to help out here and there without ultimatums. I think it would be interesting to help out on a site and to see how the invisible stuff works.
Excellent, because that's exactly what we offer! http://forum.webdiplomacy.net/ should link to the developers forum, where you can pick up any project you like and work at it on your own timeline. You can also submit projects, but it's not likely they'll be completed without working on it yourself. Have a look and help us out!

sw3dg!n

#7 Post by sw3dg!n » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:36 pm

Claesar wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:51 pm
sw3dg!n wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:17 pm
I'm a developer, but into embedded systems. C(++) and python. I can read php. I might be interested to help out here and there without ultimatums. I think it would be interesting to help out on a site and to see how the invisible stuff works.
Excellent, because that's exactly what we offer! http://forum.webdiplomacy.net/ should link to the developers forum, where you can pick up any project you like and work at it on your own timeline. You can also submit projects, but it's not likely they'll be completed without working on it yourself. Have a look and help us out!
Bookmarked the link. Won't be any time soon though. I have some other work I'd like to finish first

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by bo_sox48 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:38 pm

Shoot jmo1121109 a message, sw3dgin. He might have some good advice for how to get started if you want to help us out. A_Tin_Can helps out a ton on our github page as well, so feel free to check that out.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by bo_sox48 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:42 pm

As for your ideas, we can definitely manage the first one. I’ll look into that in the next couple of days. The second and third points you made are good ones and hopefully that will happen at some stage but I’m not sure if the gap in the code between the forum and the main site is something we can work around to bring those features back. Your tournament ideas are interesting but definitely more of a challenge and I honestly have no idea what to tell you there.

We set the edit time to 5 minutes so that we can all go back and change things like typos and grammatical errors without much fuss or erase something we don’t think we should say. We haven’t discussed using that feature to maintain an OP, but if it’s any consolation, I can edit tournament OPs with all the accurate and up to date information necessary as things are so long as the TD is willing to share it with me. That's not a perfect solution, but it works for the time being.

A_Tin_Can

#10 Post by A_Tin_Can » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:09 pm

@Clesar - it's not possible to create new accounts on the dev forum (and hasn't been for some years). I've spent some time migrating all the topics there to the github issue tracker. It's better to point people in that direction.

The link is at the bottom of every page on the site;

Claesar

#11 Post by Claesar » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:20 pm

Thanks, I'll try to keep that in mind. I haven't gotten round to learning PhP myself, so I haven't picked up any projects.

jmo1121109

#12 Post by jmo1121109 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:16 am

Yeah this thread highlighted that we need a clearly and more visible spot for people interested in helping with development.

All needed links and information can be found here: http://www.webdiplomacy.net/contrib/php ... m.php?f=16 for those interested in picking up the occasional development project. Projects on our github repository are tagged by expected effort as well for those just interested in starting off with something easy.