Leaving this site for good.

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Captain Tomorrow

Leaving this site for good.

#1 Post by Captain Tomorrow » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:10 am

Dears,

I live in Iran, and I don't know if you are aware or not, but we have had an internet ban in the country for about a week. Now I am kind of grateful for this break, because it allowed me to re-evaluate my priorities. I feel, for instance that I have been able to get rid of a minor dependency - checking this website several times a day, and I intend to keep it this way.

I have to say that I have stopped enjoying being here already a while ago, when new rules were instituted. I have not been part of any discussions, and I am sure everyone had convincing arguments, but I could not help noticing that the atmosphere on the site became more stressful, vindictive and petty.

I have seen that a great deal of effort went into developing a system of tracking transgressions and punishing the guilty, and I feel I don't want to be part of it any longer. Life has taught me to stay away from people that are too keen on punishing others, those who are overly enthusiastic about ordnung and discipline, and this is exactly what I will do.

So thanks for the good moments while they were still good, and have a great day.

C.T.

PRINCE WILLIAM

Re: Leaving this site for good.

#2 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:55 am

While I disagree with your evaluation of this community, I understand that everyone has his own opinion and ideas. Farewell and good luck with your other endeavours in the net.

Octavious

#3 Post by Octavious » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:01 am

I'm not entirely up to speed on how reliability ratings work these days, but I believe that they're heavily weighted to recent history? So that in my mind his low rating is likely overwhelmingly because of recent events in Iran rather than any indication of his playing style these past 5 years or so.

Always sad to lose a skilled and dedicated player. I feel you may have misjudged the site leadership a little, but it is what it is. Very best of luck in the future, and will be happy to see you back if you change your mind.

Jamiet99uk

#4 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:36 pm

I strongly agree with you. Things went downhill when certain changes were made.

BRING BACK PPSC!

qrzy

#5 Post by qrzy » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:25 pm

What is PPSC?

Rainfromabove

#6 Post by Rainfromabove » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:43 pm

qrzy wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:25 pm
What is PPSC?
Points per supply centre I believe

PRINCE WILLIAM

#7 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:48 pm

Yes, it was a former point system of games here, but it was stoped for creating in-game distortions.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#8 Post by jmo1121109 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:46 pm

Hey Captain Tomorrow,

Sorry to see you go. I'm not actually sure which rule change you're talking about though I suspect it's the reliability rating. I would love to get an email from you explaining what specific change is causing you to leave. Regardless, best of luck in life.

Regards,
WebDip Dev

Octavious

#9 Post by Octavious » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:38 pm

jmo1121109 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:46 pm
Hey Captain Tomorrow,

Sorry to see you go. I'm not actually sure which rule change you're talking about though I suspect it's the reliability rating. I would love to get an email from you explaining what specific change is causing you to leave. Regardless, best of luck in life.

Regards,
WebDip Dev
I imagine it was more to do with the tightening up of forum rules some time back. People who live in countries where freedom is not easily found can be rather sensitive to it being taken away elsewhere. Could be wrong, of course.

Matticus13

#10 Post by Matticus13 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:47 pm

In a perfect world, we wouldn't need anyone monitoring the site, making rules, enforcing penalties, yada yada yada. While I'm an anarchist at heart, the world (and this site) are far from perfect, and we need some way of holding users accountable on the site. It's not perfect either.

CT, I understand completely and wish you luck moving on with your life.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by bo_sox48 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:20 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:38 pm
jmo1121109 wrote:
Hey Captain Tomorrow,

Regards,
WebDip Dev
I imagine it was more to do with the tightening up of forum rules some time back. People who live in countries where freedom is not easily found can be rather sensitive to it being taken away elsewhere. Could be wrong, of course.
Given this was their first forum post (not to mention that the changes to the forum rules are years in the past now), I'd be surprised if that was the cause. But if it is, there's always 4chan for unmoderated discourse, I guess.

What they note as "a system of tracking transgressions" is in my interpretation likely our new way of tracking missed turns and phases - like jmo mentioned - and automating penalties for those who miss phases. Obviously, not all missed phases are necessarily equal, so if something such as a nationwide internet ban caused an otherwise reliable player to miss a number of phases and face a system imposed penalty, we would happily excuse them and reformulate their reliability rating to reflect that. I'm not psychic, though, and I don't know who is from a place where the government is interfering in their ability to play. If this is the case, a better solution would be to notify us when it is safe to do so of what is going on so that we can fix it instead of grandstanding on the forum.

Either way, our members are free to come and go as they like for whatever reasons they like. Hopefully Captain Tomorrow has the opportunity to safely return to playing Diplomacy when their government no longer sees an online board game as a dire threat to their sovereignty.

Hellenic Riot
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#12 Post by Hellenic Riot » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:16 pm

Speaking of threats to sovereignty, when are you going to add a variant with a free Tibet, Turkestan, and Hong Kong to stick it to the evil Chinese?

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#13 Post by Chaqa » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:40 pm

bo_sox48 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:20 pm
Octavious wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:38 pm
jmo1121109 wrote:
Hey Captain Tomorrow,

Regards,
WebDip Dev
Given this was their first forum post (not to mention that the changes to the forum rules are years in the past now), I'd be surprised if that was the cause. But if it is, there's always 4chan for unmoderated discourse, I guess.

What they note as "a system of tracking transgressions" is in my interpretation likely our new way of tracking missed turns and phases - like jmo mentioned - and automating penalties for those who miss phases. Obviously, not all missed phases are necessarily equal, so if something such as a nationwide internet ban caused an otherwise reliable player to miss a number of phases and face a system imposed penalty, we would happily excuse them and reformulate their reliability rating to reflect that. I'm not psychic, though, and I don't know who is from a place where the government is interfering in their ability to play. If this is the case, a better solution would be to notify us when it is safe to do so of what is going on so that we can fix it instead of grandstanding on the forum.

Either way, our members are free to come and go as they like for whatever reasons they like. Hopefully Captain Tomorrow has the opportunity to safely return to playing Diplomacy when their government no longer sees an online board game as a dire threat to their sovereignty.
To add to the RR thing - his RR is 23%. Probably just sad he can't play any games.

Octavious

#14 Post by Octavious » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:46 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:40 pm
To add to the RR thing - his RR is 23%. Probably just sad he can't play any games.
Only 3 out of 500 resigns, though, so it seems likely the reliability is low because of the effects of the Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution's internet ban. When the Supreme Leader is on your case you can forgive a drop in someone's dedication to the game. Word is he's even worse than jmo ;)

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#15 Post by Chaqa » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:04 pm

Huh. Based on only a single forum post, i had assumed he was a new player who was being dramatic.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#16 Post by bo_sox48 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:10 pm

Octavious wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:46 pm
Chaqa wrote:
Only 3 out of 500 resigns, though, so it seems likely the reliability is low because of the effects of the Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution's internet ban. When the Supreme Leader is on your case you can forgive a drop in someone's dedication to the game. Word is he's even worse than jmo ;)
His RR suffered dramatically from recent missed phases that can probably be attributed to Iranian policy. I feel bad for him and would like to fix it, but he never gave us that chance. If he shows up again, we still would fix it.

Captain Tomorrow

#17 Post by Captain Tomorrow » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:50 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:04 pm
Huh. Based on only a single forum post, i had assumed he was a new player who was being dramatic.
Yes, quite a new player, only since 2016.

Temasek22

#18 Post by Temasek22 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:12 pm

bo_sox48 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:10 pm
Octavious wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:46 pm
Chaqa wrote:
His RR suffered dramatically from recent missed phases that can probably be attributed to Iranian policy. I feel bad for him and would like to fix it, but he never gave us that chance. If he shows up again, we still would fix it.
Andddd he showed up

Deinodon
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#19 Post by Deinodon » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:27 pm

Lurking in the shadows, it seems.

TooCoolSunday

#20 Post by TooCoolSunday » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:14 pm

I've been away for about 2 years. Doing other stuff. I'vs just got back. Hope to see you around sometime Captain.