Leaving this site for good.

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
devbali02

Re: Leaving this site for good.

#21 Post by devbali02 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:27 pm

Another ridiculous thing about Reliability Ratings is that new players with 0% reliability often struggle to find their first game, since the default setting requires a 50% reliability.

FlaviusAetius

#22 Post by FlaviusAetius » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:43 am

FACTS

Claesar

#23 Post by Claesar » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:55 am

devbali02 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:27 pm
Another ridiculous thing about Reliability Ratings is that new players with 0% reliability often struggle to find their first game, since the default setting requires a 50% reliability.
I've been trying to remember to host newbie games with 0% RR requirement. Ran 5 so far, but thanks for reminding me to create another.

qrzy

#24 Post by qrzy » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:57 am

devbali02 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:27 pm
Can a new player create a new game?

Claesar

#25 Post by Claesar » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:59 am

I investigated this and
1) Yes, they can (or at least create a bot game).
2) Playing against bots gives you a Reliability Rating, allowing you to play in regular games.

Donny Dude

#26 Post by Donny Dude » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:41 am

Claesar wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:59 am
I investigated this and
1) Yes, they can (or at least create a bot game).
2) Playing against bots gives you a Reliability Rating, allowing you to play in regular games.
Should this be added to the faq or naw?
Such as
I joined wediplomacy but cannot join a game?
Create a bot game to hone your skills and improve your reliability rating to join a public game!!!

Salmaneser

#27 Post by Salmaneser » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:32 pm

New players get a reliability rating of 0%? What happened to the benefit of doubt? They shouldn't be obliged to start a bot game, just to get a decent rating.

RoganJosh
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#28 Post by RoganJosh » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:50 pm

I doubt the benefit of the doubt.

FleetYeet

#29 Post by FleetYeet » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:30 pm

I had no problem joining or creating games when I joined in October, FWIW

TheMarquis

#30 Post by TheMarquis » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:49 am

I just joined, and for about 5 minutes I was puzzled I couldn't really join any standard game due to low reliability. Then I went to create a new game, and saw the possibility of playing against bots (which is super fun to learn to master the movement rules) and, 45 minutes later here I am, with a 100% reliability rating.

I second the "FAQ" suggestion, though. It could have prevented, or lessened, my surprise during the initial minutes.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#31 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:09 pm

Steady on HR,. "evil Chinese" Imho that's a poorly defined & sweeping condemnation of over a billion people perhaps? Go ahead and call out the totalitarian Government led by just one of many unique features​ of Chinese Communist party "democracy" President for Life Ji Xinpeng for being dishonest and repressive but please don't make what I regard as a rash statement capable of being interpreted as a racial slur. This is the Bwave New World Forum with more Decorum. The majority of Chinese people in Communist China are victims imho. Were those who died in Tianemen Square fighting for human rights "evil Chinese"?
Better be careful HR, that sort of rash statement might get you put in the Naughty Corner of Omnipotent Zultar's Magic Cave.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#32 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:13 pm

Good luck Captain Tomorrow. Hope you find happiness and peace.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#33 Post by jmo1121109 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:43 pm

MajorMitchell wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:09 pm
Steady on HR,. "evil Chinese" Imho that's a poorly defined & sweeping condemnation of over a billion people perhaps? Go ahead and call out the totalitarian Government led by just one of many unique features​ of Chinese Communist party "democracy" President for Life Ji Xinpeng for being dishonest and repressive but please don't make what I regard as a rash statement capable of being interpreted as a racial slur. This is the Bwave New World Forum with more Decorum. The majority of Chinese people in Communist China are victims imho. Were those who died in Tianemen Square fighting for human rights "evil Chinese"?
Better be careful HR, that sort of rash statement might get you put in the Naughty Corner of Omnipotent Zultar's Magic Cave.
I mean...if it didn't get him in trouble in the last 7 months since he posted it, he's probably safe at this point. Making a run for most delayed reply to a topic?

TheMarquis

#34 Post by TheMarquis » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:08 pm

Yeah my bad, I didn't realize how old the thread was. At that point I couldn't delete my post anymore.

Apologies

MajorMitchell

#35 Post by MajorMitchell » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:50 am

Didn't read the date on HR's post jmo. Should I have not raised my concerns? Is it OK for me to call in the Forum with more Decorum all persons of a race that has a dishonest and repressive totalitarian Government evil then? Or would it be better if we were ALL careful with how we express noble sentiments to avoid misunderstandings?

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#36 Post by jmo1121109 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:27 am

MajorMitchell wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:50 am
Didn't read the date on HR's post jmo. Should I have not raised my concerns? Is it OK for me to call in the Forum with more Decorum all persons of a race that has a dishonest and repressive totalitarian Government evil then? Or would it be better if we were ALL careful with how we express noble sentiments to avoid misunderstandings?
Uh I think I understood half of that. Anyways moving along.

MajorMitchell

#37 Post by MajorMitchell » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:40 am

That might be considered a convenient way to avoid giving any answer to the most salient question posed, viz: (rephrased to kindly assist comprehension)
Is OK in a forum post to describe as "EVIL" all persons of a race or nationality which suffers from being ruled in home country by a dishonest and repressive t hiotalitarian Government, irrespective of whether some of they might have​ died fighting for human rights?
I cite the example of those Chinese people who died in Tianemen Square fighting for human rights and democracy in China. Is it OK to call them "evil Chinese"?
I understand the noble sentiments HR was trying to express but really do think HR could have used better, more carefully chosen words. I thought I also kept my "expression of concern" reasonably toned down in my "scale of scathing~ness"

If others choose to defend those words as being well-chosen then Bon chance mon ami/mes amis(?)

But if the questions I'm asking are embarrassing to some, then might I suggest they adopt a "dignified silence"as a response if answering seriously and honestly is beyond their capacity or willingness.
Less by a long way from genius level flippancy doesn't quite suffice imho.