Films and Television

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Location: OOOOOOKLAHOMA WHERE THE WIND COMES SWEEPING DOWN THE PLAIN

Films and Television

#1 Post by TrPrado » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:40 am

WARNING: This thread may contain spoilers at any given time.

A topic dedicated to discussion movies and television we have recently watched or feel very much wanting to talk about.

For those using this for discussion and spoiling major plot points, I suggest putting “SPOILER” at the top of your post and then spacing it out such that it’d be impossible to read it from the front page.

For those interested in seeing a movie or show down the line, browse at your own peril.

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Another Suggestion

#2 Post by TrPrado » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:46 am

If you want to have more in-depth discussions about a certain film or show, I recommend changing the topic header to the title of that work before you post.

CommanderByron
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

Manchester By The Sea (NON-SPOILER)

#3 Post by CommanderByron » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:50 am

This movie is an amazing piece of writing, acting, and realistic family interaction.

If you have a day off want a good cry but want to see a good piece of art this is for you. Watch a comedy immediately after or just deal with the brooding depression this movie will give you.

10/10

CommanderByron
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

Manchester By The Sea (SPOILER)

#4 Post by CommanderByron » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:51 am

When they alllll die! Like bruh.

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Manchester By The Sea (SPOILER)

#5 Post by TrPrado » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:56 am

CommanderByron wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:51 am
When they alllll die! Like bruh.
8-)

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Mindhunter (Season 1)

#6 Post by TrPrado » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:52 am

I spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted my first review on here to be, and since CB already has us started off with movies I’ll go ahead and start off with a show.

I really loved Mindhunter. I’m actually just starting a rewatch as well. The first episode seems very confused about the tone it wants to take, but after it settles down at the end of the episode it keeps that tone going for the whole series.

I also really love the David Fincher style that’s injected into the show. Beautifully shot, with an amazingly engaging story. Watching Holden conduct interviews has a major air of creepiness, and it manages to work even if it’s almost entirely dialogue in those scenes.

Netflix managed to get one of, if not the, best produced crime series out there. I highly recommend watching it.

CommanderByron
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

Re: Mindhunter (Season 1)

#7 Post by CommanderByron » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:50 am

TrPrado wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:52 am
I spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted my first review on here to be, and since CB already has us started off with movies I’ll go ahead and start off with a show.

I really loved Mindhunter. I’m actually just starting a rewatch as well. The first episode seems very confused about the tone it wants to take, but after it settles down at the end of the episode it keeps that tone going for the whole series.

I also really love the David Fincher style that’s injected into the show. Beautifully shot, with an amazingly engaging story. Watching Holden conduct interviews has a major air of creepiness, and it manages to work even if it’s almost entirely dialogue in those scenes.

Netflix managed to get one of, if not the, best produced crime series out there. I highly recommend watching it.
Haven’t watched this yet but it’s sounds damn good. I’m a fincher fan so if this is anything similar I’m down for it.

taylornottyler

#8 Post by taylornottyler » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:38 am

TrPrado wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:52 am

I liked the tone in the middle of the season but I felt at the end if Yo too much like a soap opera. I get that they need to show the emotional impact all this work is having, but come on. Do we really need such long dinner date stuff and then breaking up. Then the in office drama. Please. Get back to the mental games with killers. Plus the cliff hanger of the next serial killer was kinda wonky. They didn’t explain it at all, or really tell you what to expect for the next season. 9.5/10 would still watch

Yoyoyozo

Re: Films and Television

#9 Post by Yoyoyozo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:14 am

##VOTE Circle
##VOTE Rubber

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#10 Post by ghug » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:16 am

##VOTE Circle

Durga

#11 Post by Durga » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:17 am

##vote circle ~

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#12 Post by TrPrado » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:40 am

taylornottyler wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:38 am
I liked the tone in the middle of the season but I felt at the end if Yo too much like a soap opera. I get that they need to show the emotional impact all this work is having, but come on. Do we really need such long dinner date stuff and then breaking up. Then the in office drama. Please. Get back to the mental games with killers. Plus the cliff hanger of the next serial killer was kinda wonky. They didn’t explain it at all, or really tell you what to expect for the next season. 9.5/10 would still watch
I don't know, I kind of disagree here. It didn't feel so much office politics to me as much as showing the side of the moral repercussions, which is kind of needed to accentuate that Holden is kind of fucked up. It was a bit slower, yeah, but it grounded the show in humanity.

I would probably give it a very similar rating, but for me the detracting mark is still just the confused bits of the first episode.

CommanderByron
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

The Orville (Non-Spoiler)

#13 Post by CommanderByron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:15 am

Absolutely in love with this show, I went in with low expectations as it is a Seth MacFarlane creation; but I was absolutely blown away by how witty the writing is and how true to it's Star Trek inspirations it is. If you enjoyed the OG Star Trek which dealt with heavy social topics but you have a sense of humor you'll love this show too.

This is Star Trek, but its not afraid to curse and make pop-culture references.

CommanderByron
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

The Orville (Spoiler)

#14 Post by CommanderByron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:23 am

Onto my point about heavy social conversations; a crew member is part of a single sex species. He and his partner have a baby which is female. The first non-male baby born in supposedly generations. The home planet, and the parents, wish to alter the babies sex to comply with society; however the crew of the Orville feel morally wrong about letting the parents do this. The dilemma is further confused when one of the parents is convinced that the sex change is wrong and so the two parents go to court on their home planet with the Orville crew acting as companions and lawyers. The end result is a statement on the ability of women, the right to choose ones own gender, and the extent to which parents can make decisions for their children.

Almost every episode deals with a morale dilemma of this caliber while keeping the show jovial and entertaining.

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Baby Driver

#15 Post by TrPrado » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:38 am

I watched it for the first time last night and absolutely LOVED it. So much fun and thoughtfulness with the editing, directing, cinematography, etc., and with really fun acting and writing. Baby Driver is so much fun, and just might be my favorite 2017 film.

Jeff Kuta

#16 Post by Jeff Kuta » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:16 am

She is the Kwizatz-Haderach!

CommanderByron
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

Re: Baby Driver

#17 Post by CommanderByron » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:39 am

TrPrado wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:38 am
I watched it for the first time last night and absolutely LOVED it. So much fun and thoughtfulness with the editing, directing, cinematography, etc., and with really fun acting and writing. Baby Driver is so much fun, and just might be my favorite 2017 film.
Edgar Wright is a god.

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#18 Post by TrPrado » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:36 pm

Now that the Oscar nominations are out, predictions anyone?

Baby Driver for Sound Editing is the most obvious.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#19 Post by Tom Bombadil » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:50 pm

I think Dunkirk is likely to win both Sound categories

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#20 Post by TrPrado » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:06 pm

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:50 pm
I think Dunkirk is likely to win both Sound categories
I feel Dunkirk is the strongest choice for Sound Mixing, but I do feel that Baby Driver has a decent chance of winning the editing categories.