Sadistic torture between animals

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
WyattS14
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Sadistic torture between animals

#1 Post by WyattS14 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:35 pm

The obvious example for this is cat's torturing mice, but what are some other examples of torture in the animal kingdom? I'm looking for an example of an immoral act in the animal kingdom comparable to immoral human acts

Rjmcf
Code Contributor
Code Contributor

Re: Sadistic torture between animals

#2 Post by Rjmcf » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:37 pm

Male ducks rape females. That’s pretty messed up. I think they’ve been known to kill them and mate with their mangled corpses too.

`ZaZaMaRaNDaBo`

#3 Post by `ZaZaMaRaNDaBo` » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:48 pm

I hope you're not trying to justify torture...

Cats play with mice to prevent injury seems to be the theory. So, that's not sadistic, that's survival.

I can think of a lot of violent animals that may kill their own, but the closest thing I can think of close to torture is monkey poo flinging. Torture requires a deep social awareness that the other feels pain and creativity to inflict that pain. Only a few animals are known to have that kind of deep social cognition. Dolphins may ostracize a family member for a time for bad behavior, but that's not torture. There's a type of spider that eats it's mate, even if they mate.

I'm really thinking humans are the only animal with such an advanced social system that creates an environment for torture.

CommanderByron
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#4 Post by CommanderByron » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:24 pm

Seals rape penguins.

However scientists aren’t sure why. Some think it’s hunting instinct being misdirected to a sex drive. But personally I think the highly social seals are sexually frustrates and aware that the penguins are warm and soft.

`ZaZaMaRaNDaBo`

#5 Post by `ZaZaMaRaNDaBo` » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Those sexy penguins in their tuxes.

WyattS14
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#6 Post by WyattS14 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:31 am

@zaza it’s for a big question Debate on whether or not humans are fundamentally different than other animals, but the concern is understood haha

captainmeme

#7 Post by captainmeme » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:41 pm

Do plants count? Being caught in a Venus flytrap or a Pitcher plant would be a horrible way to go.