What are you reading?

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Message
Author
abgemacht
Lifetime Site Contributor
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:39 am
Karma: 49
Contact:

Re: What are you reading?

#81 Post by abgemacht » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:13 pm

About 20% through the Stand. Unclear who is doing worse: King's characters or our current governments.
2

MajorMitchell
Posts: 1214
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:05 am
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea
Karma: 647

Re: What are you reading?

#82 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:09 am

Just received, waiting to be read
Christopher Andrew "The Authorised History of MI5"
Nigel West "Double Cross in Cairo"
Max Hastings "The Secret War Spies, Codes and Guerrillas 1939-1945"

I'm about a third of the way through a history of intelligence services. That started with ancient world history of spies etc.
1

PRINCE WILLIAM
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:17 am
Karma: 752

Re: What are you reading?

#83 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:06 pm

abgemacht wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:13 pm
About 20% through the Stand. Unclear who is doing worse: King's characters or our current governments.
Υou see the similarities with the current pandemic?
1

Durga
Posts: 7277
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:01 pm
Location: Canada
Karma: 1710

Re: What are you reading?

#84 Post by Durga » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:51 pm

I'm getting through The Wheel of Time. Currently almost done The Shadow Rising but I think I'll need a break from the series soon.
1

Octavious
Posts: 2450
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:16 pm
Location: The Five Valleys, Gloucestershire
Karma: 1936
Contact:

Re: What are you reading?

#85 Post by Octavious » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:08 pm

Durga wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:51 pm
I'm getting through The Wheel of Time. Currently almost done The Shadow Rising but I think I'll need a break from the series soon.
A break? You haven't even got to the stage where it properly slows down yet. In Lord of Chaos not a lot happens, but by the time you get to the Path of Daggers you will yearn for the relative excitement of book 5. Hundreds of pages go by where the most significant event is some adjusting their skirt or braid for the umpteenth thousand time.

I think it was designed to numb the reader's mind and stop them asking awkward questions like "what the hell was the point of that tree in the first book?

The end's good though :)
1

Durga
Posts: 7277
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:01 pm
Location: Canada
Karma: 1710

Re: What are you reading?

#86 Post by Durga » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:33 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:08 pm
Durga wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:51 pm
I'm getting through The Wheel of Time. Currently almost done The Shadow Rising but I think I'll need a break from the series soon.
A break? You haven't even got to the stage where it properly slows down yet. In Lord of Chaos not a lot happens, but by the time you get to the Path of Daggers you will yearn for the relative excitement of book 5. Hundreds of pages go by where the most significant event is some adjusting their skirt or braid for the umpteenth thousand time.

I think it was designed to numb the reader's mind and stop them asking awkward questions like "what the hell was the point of that tree in the first book?

The end's good though :)
i want a knife so i can cut nynaeve's braid right off her goddamn head!!! character development is making every character worse from book 1 other than mat. i think i'm just getting through the books too fast and reading other things in between might make me more excited for this journey. i think i genuinely enjoy a total of 3 characters right now
2

Sunstriker
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:34 pm
Karma: 41

Re: What are you reading?

#87 Post by Sunstriker » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:50 pm

I’m currently re-reading “The Wheel of Time.” An old fashioned fantasy with a nice helping of “epic” put in.

I have a large stack of books to work through, but besides “Permanent Record” (Edward Snowden’s book) I don’t remember what else I have xD
1

Rusty1428
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:30 pm
Karma: 5

Re: What are you reading?

#88 Post by Rusty1428 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:17 pm

The Trisolaris Trilogy, its an incredibly in-depth sci-fi series about what might happen after first contact with an alien race. The thing I find most interesting about it (especially the first one) is how it seems ever so slightly different from all western sci-fi I’ve read but I can never put my finger on what exactly is does differently.
Basically it’s really, really good and well worth reading if you like sci-fi
1

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 4596
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 pm
Location: Over the rainbow
Karma: 4758
Contact:

Re: What are you reading?

#89 Post by dargorygel » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:29 pm

Rusty1428 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:17 pm
The Trisolaris Trilogy, its an incredibly in-depth sci-fi series about what might happen after first contact with an alien race. The thing I find most interesting about it (especially the first one) is how it seems ever so slightly different from all western sci-fi I’ve read but I can never put my finger on what exactly is does differently.
Basically it’s really, really good and well worth reading if you like sci-fi
Do you know if it is available in English?
1

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 4596
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 pm
Location: Over the rainbow
Karma: 4758
Contact:

Re: What are you reading?

#90 Post by dargorygel » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:30 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:29 pm
Rusty1428 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:17 pm
The Trisolaris Trilogy, its an incredibly in-depth sci-fi series about what might happen after first contact with an alien race. The thing I find most interesting about it (especially the first one) is how it seems ever so slightly different from all western sci-fi I’ve read but I can never put my finger on what exactly is does differently.
Basically it’s really, really good and well worth reading if you like sci-fi
Do you know if it is available in English?
NVM... i had my settings incorrectly set.
1

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests