Was Buddha more "All Knowing" than Jesus

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
brainbomb

Was Buddha more "All Knowing" than Jesus

#1 Post by brainbomb » Wed May 22, 2024 1:54 pm

Did Buddha know more about the Universe, and existence than Jesus?

DarthPorg36

Re: Was Buddha more "All Knowing" than Jesus

#2 Post by DarthPorg36 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:22 pm

Obviously this is a question with answers based on your beliefs, poised to stir up controversy.

From my point of view, of course not! Jesus is literally God and is all-knowing, and Buddha was a smart nice guy but just a guy. So Jesus is the easy pick here.

Of course those of you without Christian faith will disagree. From an atheist perspective, I'm actually mildly interested to hear what you'd say, as I assume atheists would say both were just people.

But anyway, let's not let this explode the forum again like these posts have in the past.

Esquire Bertissimmo

#3 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Wed May 22, 2024 2:59 pm

Buddha died at 80. Jesus died at 33.

If the miraculous claims about both men aren not true, I'd be inclined to think an 80 year old would have more life experience than a 33 year old.

Then again, Jesus lived a pretty wild life. Flipping tables, hanging out with prostitutes, and getting crucified are all pretty bad ass and might give one some unique insights you can't get any other way. I'm less familiar with Buddha's biography, but a cursory glance at his Wikipedia page makes me think it was a little less action packed.

wintergreen

#4 Post by wintergreen » Wed May 22, 2024 3:32 pm

Buddha spent half his life meditating and pondering all of existence. Jesus probably never had any time to stop and think. Jesus had more action, but likely Buddha learned more.

CaptainFritz28

#5 Post by CaptainFritz28 » Wed May 22, 2024 6:01 pm

Obviously, from my belief structure, Jesus is all knowing, so my answer to the original question is no. But you already knew that, so just as DarthPorg36, I'll sit back and watch the Athiests discuss this.
Ferre ad Finem!

brainbomb

#6 Post by brainbomb » Wed May 22, 2024 6:14 pm

As a Catholic who claimed to be Buddhist for about ten years, and now back to being a Catholic, Im gonna have to say I dont know enough about the actual existence of Buddha to verify if he actually existed, or is an idea. But if he was a real person, and if Jesus also was a real person; I think God is mysterious enough and wise enough to allow for both to have value, and both to know things beyond each other. We treat Jesus like the son of god, and that he is fully man and fully god, but this raises the question of does God know everything and actually govern everything, and is God even self aware of what he does or doesnt know.

Simply put, I would say they are equal in wisdom, but maybe not in full divinity, and Jesus is probably more powerful, and more capable of miracles.

Octavious

#7 Post by Octavious » Wed May 22, 2024 6:29 pm

I don't know what Bible the other Christians have been reading, but it's pretty evident from what Jesus said that he spent rather a lot of time not being all knowing. Whether or not you consider him to be all knowing now, the Jesus praying in Gethsemane obviously didn't know everything, and I assume that the question is in reference to the two in their physical lives. I think you can make an argument for him being all knowing after he had risen from the tomb, perhaps, but not before... and the baby Jesus wasn't born with expert knowledge in midwifery to help out Mum, nor with the foresight to tell Joseph to let the one with the gold but tell Casper et Al to bugger off and return with something better.

I would say the knowledge of the wider universe of both Jesus and Buddha was equal to their needs, and ultimately that's all that matters.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

brainbomb

#8 Post by brainbomb » Thu May 23, 2024 4:28 am

I think Oct straight up wiped the floor with any attempt at counter argument there haha

learnedSloth

#9 Post by learnedSloth » Tue May 28, 2024 10:43 pm

Octavious wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 6:29 pm
I don't know what Bible the other Christians have been reading, but it's pretty evident from what Jesus said that he spent rather a lot of time not being all knowing. Whether or not you consider him to be all knowing now, the Jesus praying in Gethsemane obviously didn't know everything, and I assume that the question is in reference to the two in their physical lives. I think you can make an argument for him being all knowing after he had risen from the tomb, perhaps, but not before... and the baby Jesus wasn't born with expert knowledge in midwifery to help out Mum, nor with the foresight to tell Joseph to let the one with the gold but tell Casper et Al to bugger off and return with something better.
The wise men probably wouldn't have had enough time to change their gifts anyway:

And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him. -- Matthew 2:13

Idk what midwifery is supposed to refer to, and how Jesus' prayer in Gethsemane shows that he didn't know everything at the time isn't obvious to me. However, Jesus himself mentioned a secret:

¶ But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. -- Mark 13:32

So you are right, but your reasons aren't very compelling.
¶ Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
-- Proverbs of Solomon, chapter 4, verse 23

Jamiet99uk

#10 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed May 29, 2024 12:40 am

This thread is a waste of everyone's time.
This is my potato. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My potato is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my potato is useless. Without my potato, I am useless.

DiplomacyandWarfare

#11 Post by DiplomacyandWarfare » Wed May 29, 2024 1:01 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 12:40 am
So, an average brainbomb thread.

Esquire Bertissimmo

#12 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Wed May 29, 2024 1:04 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
This thread got me more interested in Buddhism, which encouraged me to take out a good book on the subject from the library.

kingofthepirates
Location: Dragon Temple, Crumbling Farum Azula, The Lands Between

#13 Post by kingofthepirates » Wed May 29, 2024 1:09 am

DiplomacyandWarfare wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 1:01 am
Jamiet99uk wrote:
So, an average brainbomb thread.
ngl to be completely honest, this one wasn't as fun as normal bb threads. I like the more tame nature though, it allows for more cooperative discussion. from what I've seen, bb's threads can get quite out of hand, with some very humorous discussion being thrown around. While I do love the discord, this has been a nice departure from regularly scheduled programming. overall, a nice 7.5/10. short and sweet.
“In the darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of madness, look to the madman to show the way.”- Roboute Guilliman

"Wonderhoy!"-Emu Otori :3

Octavious

#14 Post by Octavious » Wed May 29, 2024 7:05 am

learnedSloth wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 10:43 pm
The wise men probably wouldn't have had enough time to change their gifts anyway:
Hence the old and moving hymn, "What shall I give Him, incredibly wealthy, wearing the finest clothes and jewels, and riding top of the range camels equipped with finest rosewood saddles and gold plated chalice-holders as I am?"

Mum and dad had travelled halfway across the country on a clapped out basic model single-seater donkey. What could the wisemen possibly give them that they might find useful?
learnedSloth wrote:
And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him. -- Matthew 2:13
Damned shame the angel of the Lord didn’t just go to Herod and say "You might want to reconsider this. God isn't best pleased"

learnedSloth

#15 Post by learnedSloth » Wed May 29, 2024 7:46 pm

Octavious wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 7:05 am
learnedSloth wrote:
Hence the old and moving hymn, "What shall I give Him, incredibly wealthy, wearing the finest clothes and jewels, and riding top of the range camels equipped with finest rosewood saddles and gold plated chalice-holders as I am?"

Mum and dad had travelled halfway across the country on a clapped out basic model single-seater donkey. What could the wisemen possibly give them that they might find useful?
Can you imagine a more effective way to attract unwanted attention than "riding top of the range camels equipped with finest rosewood saddles and gold plated chalice-holders"?
Octavious wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 7:05 am
learnedSloth wrote:
Damned shame the angel of the Lord didn’t just go to Herod and say "You might want to reconsider this. God isn't best pleased"
It would have been a deviation from the plan:

¶ Thus saith the LORD; A voice was heard in Ramah, lamentation, and bitter weeping; Rahel weeping for her children refused to be comforted for her children, because they were not.
-- Jeremiah 31:15
¶ Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
-- Proverbs of Solomon, chapter 4, verse 23

Octavious

#16 Post by Octavious » Wed May 29, 2024 8:38 pm

That would be the ineffable plan?

It's a good job God gave us brains enough to not take this too seriously :razz:

Crazy Anglican

#17 Post by Crazy Anglican » Wed May 29, 2024 9:13 pm

So. BB is a Catholic? Did I hear right?