Lord of the Rings vs Harry Potter

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
brainbomb

Re: Lord of the Rings vs Harry Potter

#21 Post by brainbomb » Mon May 20, 2024 2:04 am

While I agree in principle that LOTR is limited, evidentally there are wings of barely canon and not even canon material at all that are starting to come into play.

Rings of power, War of the Rohirram, Search for Smeagol.

Not that im a huge fan of the non canon or barely canon; but I see more potential and hunger for the non canon LOTR stuff than I have for the harry potter prequels which are very forgettable. Also, I heard there is a harry potter reboot in the works but I think the authors toxic stances on trans issues is long term going to hurt new interest in the product. LOTR doesnt really have that issue because the Author is long gone.

sweetandcool

#22 Post by sweetandcool » Mon May 20, 2024 3:15 am

FlaviusAetius wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 1:09 am
One thing Harry Potter has over LOTR is that the series could conceivably go on forever, into the future, into the far and distant past etc
However, LOTR has an end game, and LOTR is basically the last chapter of it. There's some more stuff afterwards but it basically fades off into nothingness. I know there's supposed to be like a super epic battle at the end with Morgoth coming back but after that the series is over. There is no LOTR in space essentially. Whereas an HP story could be done in any time period essentially

If you want to back a horse that'll survive the next 200 years or so in the media, its HP if it continues to be popular, because LOTR has only so many stories it can tell until it runs out

That being said LOTR > HP all the way, just some story one day will have that staying power that LOTR does not
LOTR is so ridiculously ingrained in popular nerdoms. D&D, tons of roguelike games, tons of fantasy games, all draw inspiration from LOTR's creatures and setting.

Fluminator

#23 Post by Fluminator » Mon May 20, 2024 5:29 pm

Most of the people I knew who grew up being LOTR fans ended up being based.
Most of the people I knew who grew up being Harry Potter fans ended up being cringe.

(There were exceptions though)

DiplomacyandWarfare

#24 Post by DiplomacyandWarfare » Tue May 21, 2024 10:02 pm

Btw brainbomb would you be willing to duel MajorMitchell for the title of Most Random Poster?

brainbomb

#25 Post by brainbomb » Tue May 21, 2024 10:10 pm

I dont even think I could win that. his stuff is like its own closet galaxy where you have to read each sentence

kingofthepirates
Location: Dragon Temple, Crumbling Farum Azula, The Lands Between

#26 Post by kingofthepirates » Tue May 21, 2024 10:15 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 5:29 pm
Most of the people I knew who grew up being Harry Potter fans ended up being cringe.

SILENCE HAS BEEN BROKEN! Please remember protocol everyone, and stay calm, Fluminator has decided to END the bit about staying silent until December!
“In the darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of madness, look to the madman to show the way.”- Roboute Guilliman

"Wonderhoy!"-Emu Otori :3

kingofthepirates
Location: Dragon Temple, Crumbling Farum Azula, The Lands Between

#27 Post by kingofthepirates » Tue May 21, 2024 10:16 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 10:10 pm
his stuff is like its own closet galaxy where you have to read each sentence
So literally lord of the rings...
“In the darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of madness, look to the madman to show the way.”- Roboute Guilliman

"Wonderhoy!"-Emu Otori :3

Fluminator

#28 Post by Fluminator » Fri May 24, 2024 6:33 pm

kingofthepirates wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 10:15 pm
Fluminator wrote:

SILENCE HAS BEEN BROKEN! Please remember protocol everyone, and stay calm, Fluminator has decided to END the bit about staying silent until December!
Shhhh, I was hoping no one would really notice. I'm just very passionate about the two fandoms.

Octavious

#29 Post by Octavious » Fri May 24, 2024 7:31 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 6:33 pm
kingofthepirates wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 10:15 pm
Fluminator wrote:

Shhhh, I was hoping no one would really notice. I'm just very passionate about the two fandoms.
The two fandoms? Are they not largely the same people?
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience