Forum over-run with advertising bots

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
kestasjk
Developer
Developer

Re: Forum over-run with advertising bots

#21 Post by kestasjk » Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:56 am

BrianBaru wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:33 am
"and it means people who want to post on the forum but don't want to join a game for some legit reason"
The only legitimate reason for someone wanting to post without joining a game is to ask a question of the mechanics of the game or the mechanics of the site. You could have a "Ask a Question" forum site where new users could ask questions
True that would be better, but probably that forum would continue to get spammed.

Here's another idea that might work:
Screenshot 2023-08-05 113603.jpg
The user has to select the default SCs of a random country. Apparently having site specific anti-bot challenges is the most effective measure according to the current phpBB anti-spam guidance, only issue I can see is if people have trouble using it e.g. on mobile devices

TheOverlord

#22 Post by TheOverlord » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:16 am

Kinda just got into Diplo and in my first online games right now, but I have severe memory issue both short and long term, it would be basically impossible for me to remember the exact start of a specific nation. And I imagine it would also be hard for anyone even without memory issues that just got into diplo.

Jamiet99uk

#23 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:03 am

TheOverlord wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:16 am
Kinda just got into Diplo and in my first online games right now, but I have severe memory issue both short and long term, it would be basically impossible for me to remember the exact start of a specific nation. And I imagine it would also be hard for anyone even without memory issues that just got into diplo.
You could just look it up. It isn't exactly a memory test.
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

learnedSloth

#24 Post by learnedSloth » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:16 am

TheOverlord wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:16 am
Wouldn't the admin email cover this rare edge case?
¶ Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
-- Proverbs of Solomon, chapter 4, verse 23

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#25 Post by kestasjk » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:13 am

I hope so, and hopefully the way it lets you click and check off territories you've clicked will let people trial and error it even if they can't connect the long territory name to the map name.

Anyway I've tested and deployed it, let's see how it goes

JECE

#26 Post by JECE » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:59 am

It seems like a better solution to the idea of restricting forum posting to those who have already played games. At first I liked that idea, but then I remembered that we regularly get posts from upstanding members of the Diplomacy community that post in the Forum for some specific good reason and yet have no intention of ever playing a game here. Kestas recently posted on vDip, for instance.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421