Defaulting to point and click UI for non-variants

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
kestasjk
Developer
Developer

Defaulting to point and click UI for non-variants

#1 Post by kestasjk » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:30 am

The point and click UI is no longer beta, and is the new default for non-variant games. If you prefer the legacy/variant UI it will always be supported, and you can change your default setting in your account settings (Account > Site settings)

Any issues / feedback please post below. Note also several changes have been made in the background to prepare for various new functions and to address the cause of the recent server game processing halts, so if you notice any strange behavior / bugs please post below.

sweetandcool

Re: Defaulting to point and click UI for non-variants

#2 Post by sweetandcool » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:41 am

I absolutely love the point and click UI. That being said, I absolutely hate not being able to use both. Unless I go back and forth with my account settings, I can no longer: write and access notes, see the last time my opponent was active, draft messages while viewing the map unimpeded. Outrageous!

kestasjk_test3

#3 Post by kestasjk_test3 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:52 am

Hmm.. good point.. I'll add something so in the home screen / game search game panel there's a link that let you open the drop-down UI

Longer term though I'll add the functionality to the point and click UI

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#4 Post by kestasjk » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:18 am

Well.. are those the only things that you can't do via the point and click UI? If so I might as well bit the bullet and add them to the point and click UI

sweetandcool

#5 Post by sweetandcool » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:33 am

You can't access the message/map/moves archive. And I don't think there is a quick link to reporting bugs or getting help. That's it, I think.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#6 Post by kestasjk » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:36 am

Hmm, that makes sense.. I've made it so the icon right below the map on the dropdown UI opens the point and click UI, instead of opening the large map (which seems redundant at this point), so this should let advanced players use the dropdown UI but open the point and click UI easily

I'm not totally sure whether I want to add loads of functions to the point and click UI right now.. People find the UI is complicated/too busy, which is great for experienced players but can be overwhelming for newcomers

sweetandcool

#7 Post by sweetandcool » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:09 am

Love it! Thanks a bunch, now I can easily use both modes without switching my defaults back and forth.

jamesa7171

#8 Post by jamesa7171 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:14 am

"I've made it so the icon right below the map on the dropdown UI opens the point and click UI, instead of opening the large map (which seems redundant at this point)"
Seems like this change might have had some side effects: came here to report that the big map icon in variant games now attempts to open the point and click UI and subsequently fails to do so (this is independent of whatever the profile settings say, if that helps).

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#9 Post by kestasjk » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:20 am

Hmm, that's weird it does seem to work here. Which game ID is happening for you on, and does it fail with any error message or does it just not do anything?

jamesa7171

#10 Post by jamesa7171 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:28 am

It happens for every single alternate map variant, regardless of which map or whether I'm in the game or not. Every game on the classic map works properly. The variants using the classic map seem to be split depending on whether new countries are involved or not: Chaos is broken, but the 2p variants work properly.

The screen will flash what appears to be an empty version of the classic map (on the point and click interface) for a split second, then the screen will go blank/white and there is nothing to interact with. Zooming out reveals nothing.

Edited to add: I managed to capture a screenshot of what it briefly shows: https://i.imgur.com/7GYofu1.png (This is supposed to be a Modern Diplomacy II game...and I am not Russia!) It has a couple extra details which may be useful in debugging, I suppose.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#11 Post by kestasjk » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:40 am

Ahh I see, I forgot to disable it for variants not supported in the new map type, just a sec

jamesa7171

#12 Post by jamesa7171 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:54 am

Looks like that's fixed now. Thanks for all your hard work on this update!

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#13 Post by kestasjk » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:42 am

No worries; using a short-work-week to take a whole week to geek out on webDip and cross some things off the list, reminds me of being back in uni :)

Doom427

#14 Post by Doom427 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:43 pm

Are there plans to update the look of the rest of the website? I like the "Dated" look but can live with the new one. But going from the rest of the website to a new UI is too jarring for me so changed it back to the old one.

Troodonte

#15 Post by Troodonte » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:57 pm

I really like the old map.
I’m used to “read the board” like that and cannot get used to the new one.
The fact that I can’t see the whole map on my phone screen doesn’t help…
Is there a way to mangais the access to the old big map with the middle button?

2ndWhiteLine
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#16 Post by 2ndWhiteLine » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:04 pm

Agree with Troo...I really like the interface for the point and click, but the scale is off and I'm so used to thinking and picturing a game using the old map that it's difficult to navigate and digest everything at once. I'd love a toggle button to the old interface. Doesn't need to be big and obvious, but something I could access on the new UI to switch to the old map view without having to dig through my profile. I think it will help ease the transition.

EDIT: I'll also add that the "fullscreen" look is kind of defeated by the large turn display covering up most of Italy. There's also a lot of dead space on either side of the board. Seems like the map could be shifted left and these informational components could be housed on the right side of the screen so I could easily see the entire board without controls hiding spaces. It's also problematic (at least as far as I can tell) to make sure all units have been issued orders.

That said, I do really like it. Never used before just now and it took me all of five seconds to learn.
Last edited by 2ndWhiteLine on Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yonni
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#17 Post by Yonni » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:04 pm

Holy shit. Well done, guys. It looks amazing.

Jamiet99uk

#18 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:22 pm

2ndWhiteLine wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:04 pm
Agree with Troo...I really like the interface for the point and click, but the scale is off and I'm so used to thinking and picturing a game using the old map that it's difficult to navigate and digest everything at once. I'd love a toggle button to the old interface. Doesn't need to be big and obvious, but something I could access on the new UI to switch to the old map view without having to dig through my profile. I think it will help ease the transition.

EDIT: I'll also add that the "fullscreen" look is kind of defeated by the large turn display covering up most of Italy. There's also a lot of dead space on either side of the board. Seems like the map could be shifted left and these informational components could be housed on the right side of the screen so I could easily see the entire board without controls hiding spaces. It's also problematic (at least as far as I can tell) to make sure all units have been issued orders.
I strongly second both of these suggestions.

Please.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#19 Post by Trigfea63 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:27 pm

Troodonte wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:57 pm
I really like the old map.
I’m used to “read the board” like that and cannot get used to the new one.
The fact that I can’t see the whole map on my phone screen doesn’t help…
Is there a way to mangais the access to the old big map with the middle button?
Second this ^^^ For whatever reason, I can't get used to the new interface. I very much appreciate that you're continuing to support the old!

One other comment: On the old interface, please don't take away the large map function. As an old guy whose eyes don't work so well any more, I find it's sometimes much easier to see the last turn's orders on the large map. Also, failed support orders don't show up on the small map.

BrianBaru

#20 Post by BrianBaru » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:20 pm

Red exclamation mark under status in info. My moves are readied, but there is a red ! under status. Saw the same thing for another player in another game. My game is "Classic Anon-15"