Should a retreating unit be able to invade?

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
Gwyn

Should a retreating unit be able to invade?

#1 Post by Gwyn » Thu May 19, 2022 7:32 pm

I am new to this game, so this could perhaps be a decided question already.

I was recently surprised by the fact that an enemy unit that was forced to retreat was able to invade and take over a territory that was held by me and unoccupied.

Worse yet, this territory was a supply centre.

It seems counter-intuitive that a retreating unit can invade. On the flip side, it does make some sense if the destination territory is unoccupied, but... this still feels like something that shouldn't be.

Thoughts?

Doug7878
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: Should a retreating unit be able to invade?

#2 Post by Doug7878 » Thu May 19, 2022 7:56 pm

The game mechanics have been kept as simple as possible on purpose, and are not designed to be realistic. We have no supply or communication problems with our units, so they go anywhere they can go per the rules.

Jamiet99uk

Re: Should a retreating unit be able to invade?

#3 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu May 19, 2022 7:58 pm

This has been a standard rule since the very early days of the game. If you leave a supply centre un-defended, a displaced unit can retreat there. This mechanic is integral to the way the game is played. Remember, this is a fairly abstract strategy game, not an accurate tactical warfare simulation.

It's counter-intuitive that convoying an army from London to Picardy takes the same amount of time as convoying an army from North Africa to Norway, but there it is, that's the game - it's not a simulation.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.