Site Improvement Idea: Messages to multiple players

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
GracchusBabeuf

Site Improvement Idea: Messages to multiple players

#1 Post by GracchusBabeuf » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:47 am

I think a major shortfall of playing on this site is the fact that one can only message a single player at a time (not counting public press). This greatly reduces the scope of what is possible diplomatically. I have not seen any alliances with more than 2 powers on this site, while they are very common on other websites where I play.

qrzy

Re: Site Improvement Idea: Messages to multiple players

#3 Post by qrzy » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:50 pm

public messages ;-)

GracchusBabeuf

#4 Post by GracchusBabeuf » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:35 pm

qrzy wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:50 pm
public messages ;-)
You are correct, I should have said "public messages" or "global chat" instead of " public press".

KalelChase
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#5 Post by KalelChase » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:52 pm

I do write up my message and post it in multiple chats.

To France
CC: Germany
&
To Germany
CC: France

I've been able to put together multiple country stalemate lines this way.
With that said It's a good idea.

GracchusBabeuf

#6 Post by GracchusBabeuf » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:02 pm

KalelChase wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:52 pm
I do write up my message and post it in multiple chats.

To France
CC: Germany
&
To Germany
CC: France

I've been able to put together multiple country stalemate lines this way.
With that said It's a good idea.
That's definitely the way to go, but it is rather clunky.

Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

#7 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:07 am

Obviously this would be very desirable. Alas, like many things on a free hobby website, desire isn't the issue, but rather, development time. This is unfortunately a difficult change to make given how the in-game messaging system was originally structured. It would require a complete rewrite of that section of the board code, while also maintain backwards compatibility, never mind the fact that it would be replacing a system that has proven stability. All that's to say that it's a hard thing to prioritise with limited resources.

So, although it's almost a joke answer at this point, if you want a new feature, the site is open source—you can develop it yourself! If you're not a developer, consider helping out with the site in some other way to help take the load off those who are. As the banner says, the Mod team is short staffed and need new volunteers to help with the running of the site. If you have the desire to see the site improve, there are ways you can make it happen.
Should we turn off signatures?

C0nd0r

#8 Post by C0nd0r » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:59 am

I actually prefer how the site is set up right now. It enables players to send a message that appears to be the same two players but really is to just one, or two messages that are different. This to me, although it is different to the in-person game, requires more diplomatic use to persuade someone the way it is coded now, thus making it more fun (for me at least). However, I agree it would be interesting to see it implemented as an option in the future, but I see how that would be tricky.
Diplomacy is the art of letting somebody else have your way. -David Frost
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. -Will Rogers
Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.

GracchusBabeuf

#9 Post by GracchusBabeuf » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:58 pm

Peregrine Falcon wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:07 am
Obviously this would be very desirable. Alas, like many things on a free hobby website, desire isn't the issue, but rather, development time. This is unfortunately a difficult change to make given how the in-game messaging system was originally structured. It would require a complete rewrite of that section of the board code, while also maintain backwards compatibility, never mind the fact that it would be replacing a system that has proven stability. All that's to say that it's a hard thing to prioritise with limited resources.

So, although it's almost a joke answer at this point, if you want a new feature, the site is open source—you can develop it yourself! If you're not a developer, consider helping out with the site in some other way to help take the load off those who are. As the banner says, the Mod team is short staffed and need new volunteers to help with the running of the site. If you have the desire to see the site improve, there are ways you can make it happen.
Thanks for this message. I completely understand that development time is the main issue...my main reason for posting this was actually to gauge interest in this change. I'm not a developer (yet), but I am a computer science student, so I'll take a look at the code and think about what I can do. This would certainly be a project I'd be interested in working on in my spare time!

GracchusBabeuf

#10 Post by GracchusBabeuf » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:59 pm

C0nd0r wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:59 am
I actually prefer how the site is set up right now. It enables players to send a message that appears to be the same two players but really is to just one, or two messages that are different. This to me, although it is different to the in-person game, requires more diplomatic use to persuade someone the way it is coded now, thus making it more fun (for me at least). However, I agree it would be interesting to see it implemented as an option in the future, but I see how that would be tricky.
Hmm, interesting take on it. I definitely think this site favors a more deceptive approach to diplomacy, but overall I think more options are better when it comes to the diplomatic side of things.

Bonatogether

#11 Post by Bonatogether » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:23 pm

C0nd0r wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:59 am
I second this. I vastly prefer the paired chats, because they allow for more instability in triples, which forces more diplomatic work to keep them together.

Octavious

#12 Post by Octavious » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:05 pm

Trying to keep track of the various 2 way, 3 way and 4 way conversations on sites like Playdip is a massive headache, and I often end up spending more time trying to work out who said what to whom and when than I do on actual diplomacy. I very much prefer webDip's simplified messaging system over any alternative I've seen.

I'm a little flabbergasted that our original poster has not seen an alliance of more than 2 powers. Such alliances are extremely common in my experience
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

GracchusBabeuf

#13 Post by GracchusBabeuf » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:23 am

Octavious wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:05 pm
Trying to keep track of the various 2 way, 3 way and 4 way conversations on sites like Playdip is a massive headache, and I often end up spending more time trying to work out who said what to whom and when than I do on actual diplomacy. I very much prefer webDip's simplified messaging system over any alternative I've seen.

I'm a little flabbergasted that our original poster has not seen an alliance of more than 2 powers. Such alliances are extremely common in my experience
I'd say the main reason I haven't seen any alliance greater than 2 powers on this site is a function of my relatively recent joining of this site. I also have seen more than 2 powers cooperating with one another, but no major long-term alliances yet.
Also I completely agree that messaging on PlayDiplomacy is a headache. The thread-style email-esc nature of those conversation can be annoying, to say the least. I do really like the simplified messaging style that exists here on WebDip, I'm just musing that if there was a function to message multiple players at once that would be nice. The dynamic of having a conversation going 1 on 1 with someone, while we simultaneously put on a different face in a chat with multiple people is something that I wish I could utilize on this site. The difficulty would be maintaining the simplified and "ergonomic" interface while allowing that multiple-player messaging functionality.