Can we fix the phase countdown timer?

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Can we fix the phase countdown timer?

#1 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:19 pm

The phase countdown timer is once again out of sync with the actual phase process time. I just NMR'ed in a live game since it said there was still 10 seconds left on the clock, but had actually already tried to process. Can this be fixed?
Should we turn off signatures?

Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Can we fix the phase countdown timer?

#2 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:24 pm

Interestingly, this seems to only appear on desktop browsers. On desktop, it is present on Firefox, Chrome, Brave, & Edge, in both regular and incognito windows, with and without cache and cookies cleared.

However, it does not ever show on my mobile browsers, even after clicking the "Enable Desktop Mode" in the footer, again across Firefox, Chrome, and Brave, again in both regular and incognito windows.

For desktop, I run W10 v.21H1
For mobile, I run Android 12

Aristocrat

#3 Post by Aristocrat » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:00 pm

The timer you see on the website matches the local computer time, but the server processes on actual time. So if the clock on your computer is slow or fast, the website clock will be misaligned with the actual clock. Phones don’t drift like computers do, so they shouldn’t ever be out of sync with the server.

If you go in and manually change your computer clock to, say, 5 hours from now but keep your time zone constant, all of the deadlines you see on the website will be 5 hours sooner.

Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

#4 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:29 pm

Oooh that's great to know. I've resynced my computer time and that's fixed it! Thank you, Aristocrat!

I had presumed that it was an issue with the site. Some years ago the phase timer was off by several minutes (and not because of users' own computers), so I had assumed it was that bug again.

I know we use javascript for the timers to adjust for timezone, but seems a bit silly that it also uses the computer's actual time for the countdown?

A_Tin_Can
Lifetime Site Contributor

#5 Post by A_Tin_Can » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:04 am

> Some years ago the phase timer was off by several minutes (and not because of users' own computers)

This could happen if the server's time was out of sync too, but that hasn't been possible for a long time.

In 2022, just set your computer to use network time, and then forget about this forever