why only two 1:1 bot options?

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
jcquarto

why only two 1:1 bot options?

#1 Post by jcquarto » Sun May 30, 2021 7:26 pm

I'm curious why I can play a bot game against 6 bots, but in the head to head, I only can choose F/A or G/I. ? Why can't I fool around with other combos?

If this is for statistical analysis reasons, wouldn't it be possible to flag such "non-standard" game to be excluded from the analysis?

Ditto on a Classic game with less than 7 players....why *can't* I play a Classic game with me versus three bots? I've got no idea if it'd be fun but I'd sure like to experiment and find out.

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: why only two 1:1 bot options?

#2 Post by gimix » Sun May 30, 2021 10:23 pm

WebDip doesn't offer other 1v1 options, or Classic games with less than 7 players. So those aren't available for bots, just like they aren't for humans.

Apart from that, bots are neural networks which have been trained each on a specific variant, and they wouldn't be able to play variants they've not been trained to (the bot that plays Classic is totally different from the one that plays 1v1, they've been implemented by different research teams and have nothing in common)

TheMadMonarch

#3 Post by TheMadMonarch » Mon May 31, 2021 2:44 am

jcquarto wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 7:26 pm
I'm curious why I can play a bot game against 6 bots, but in the head to head, I only can choose F/A or G/I. ? Why can't I fool around with other combos?

If this is for statistical analysis reasons, wouldn't it be possible to flag such "non-standard" game to be excluded from the analysis?

Ditto on a Classic game with less than 7 players....why *can't* I play a Classic game with me versus three bots? I've got no idea if it'd be fun but I'd sure like to experiment and find out.
If other classic combos is what you want, Vdip has what you need.
https://vdiplomacy.net/variants.php?variantID=42

jcquarto

#4 Post by jcquarto » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:25 am

thanks for the explanation bout the NN bots, makes sense now.

Macca, thanks for pointer to vDip. I didn't know about it. Can't seem to register due to the silly anti=script code, but good to know a place for variants exists

Claesar

#5 Post by Claesar » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:51 am

jcquarto wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:25 am
thanks for the explanation bout the NN bots, makes sense now.

Macca, thanks for pointer to vDip. I didn't know about it. Can't seem to register due to the silly anti=script code, but good to know a place for variants exists
If you email the mods of vDip, I'm pretty sure they can provide you with the registration link manually.