Push notifications

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
Enriador

Push notifications

#1 Post by Enriador » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:26 pm

Is it feasible to add push notifications for mobile devices? I would be cool with email notifications too.

yavuzovic

Re: Push notifications

#2 Post by yavuzovic » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:58 pm

I don't think so, but it would be great for me too.

Claesar

#3 Post by Claesar » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:15 pm

So what you're asking is that you receive a pop-up on your mobile when a turn is processed? Or when you receive a message in a game?

This might be possible, but it's currently not on our list of ultra-high priority items. If I remember correctly.

Enriador

#4 Post by Enriador » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:33 pm

Claesar wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:15 pm
So what you're asking is that you receive a pop-up on your mobile when a turn is processed? Or when you receive a message in a game?

This might be possible, but it's currently not on our list of ultra-high priority items. If I remember correctly.
Notifications about messages are nice, but turn processed are more important.

Glad it's on a list somewhere, at least.

Bryandrewilson

#5 Post by Bryandrewilson » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:29 am

After using this site for 2 days I wanted notifications too! I made a bot where you input some of your game and player information and it will send text alerts at time intervals you pick to players that still need to submit moves.

You can download it here and I think it should just work if you run the .exe file! You might have to have python downloaded though. Not sure.

[removed] -jmo1121109

Full disclosure, I'm not a professional programmer or anything and this is my first time making a bot/program like this so there may be bugs/glitches abound, but I've been trialing it for a few weeks now and it seems to work well enough! (At least for the game I'm in). The only main downside is it has to be open and running on your computer all the time. Should you choose to use it and have any trouble or bugs let me know and I can do my best to fix them!

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#6 Post by jmo1121109 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:27 am

Hey Bryandrewilson,

Thanks for posting this, I've removed the link for now since having people download un-checked exe's is a great way to get viruses. If you're willing to make your code available for people to see on github or something we'd be happy to let you post it!

Thanks,
WebDip Dev

Kremmen

#7 Post by Kremmen » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:24 pm

Enriador wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:26 pm
Is it feasible to add push notifications for mobile devices? I would be cool with email notifications too.
Email would be best, as it works for all devices.

The lack of notifications has a massive effect on the site, especially when there are big delays. (And there are big delays all the time because of "excused missed turns".) Players fail to log back in religiously to check which day there's actually a turn to put in.

It's even worse when mods pause a game. I'm in one game which was paused recently for no stated reason for a week. 5 players failed to enter orders and went into CD (0 excused missed turn game) the turn the game was unpaused. It's a fair bet that at least some would have returned if they had been prompted to do so by an email.