Player active in spite of running out of excused missed turns

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
aksman

Player active in spite of running out of excused missed turns

#1 Post by aksman » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:09 am

Hi,

I wanted to report a bug on one of the private games
http://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=306639

One of the players (Germany) is still active even though they missed their turns twice (limit is 1). I thought they would be forced to leave the game if that were to happen.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

Re: Player active in spite of running out of excused missed turns

#2 Post by jmo1121109 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:28 am

It's not a bug. You can rejoin games you ran out of excuses in up to 3 times in a year. After that the system will start temporary banning you from joining any games for increasing periods for each additional missed phase.

Zaphod336

#3 Post by Zaphod336 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:00 pm

This seems a bit non-intuitive/contrary to how a typical user would understand the excused delays setting--if I set excused delays to n, I would expect players who miss n turns (not n+3 turns) to be permanently removed from the game. I guess other players might differ in this preference (though I'd be surprised if it's a high percentage of total users), but I'd suggest making this policy clearer in the "Create New Game" interface so people know what they're signing up for.

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#4 Post by gimix » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:39 pm

No, you're not getting it right. It is not that you have N+3 misses per game: you have N (excused) misses per game plus three (unexcused) misses in total.

There are two different aspects that must be considered: the site-wide automatic system ban which is triggered when you reach the fourth (and any subsequent) unexcused miss on a yearly basis; and the removal from a single game which applies when you run out of excused misses for that game.

While a player is banned, as described in the Reliability Explained page of user profile, they cannot create/join/rejoin games - but until they are not banned they can.

What happens when a player is removed is that the game is open for someone to join (in a private game it will of course be someone who knows the invite code); and as long as the removed player is not banned, they can join any games they like, even the one(s) they were removed from.

So the overall effect is what Jmo explained more concisely before.

cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#5 Post by cdngooner » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:59 pm

FWIW, I agree that it is wrong to allow someone removed from a game for breaking the rules (missing more than the allowed number of moves), to get back in and face effectively no penalty. He may be allowed into OTHER games as long as he is not banned, but should be allowed back into the game in which the offense occurred. JMO.

Esquire Bertissimmo

#6 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:03 pm

gimix wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:39 pm
No, you're not getting it right. It is not that you have N+3 misses per game: you have N (excused) misses per game plus three (unexcused) misses in total.

There are two different aspects that must be considered: the site-wide automatic system ban which is triggered when you reach the fourth (and any subsequent) unexcused miss on a yearly basis; and the removal from a single game which applies when you run out of excused misses for that game.

While a player is banned, as described in the Reliability Explained page of user profile, they cannot create/join/rejoin games - but until they are not banned they can.

What happens when a player is removed is that the game is open for someone to join (in a private game it will of course be someone who knows the invite code); and as long as the removed player is not banned, they can join any games they like, even the one(s) they were removed from.

So the overall effect is what Jmo explained more concisely before.
I ran into this issue recently and I'm very confused. What's the advantage of letting a player who's entered civil disorder rejoin the same position?

Obviously it's not encouraged, given the cost to the player's reliability rating + this weird 3 strikes rule. But I believe it should just be completely banned:

- The status quo allows players that have already inconvenienced others with unexcused missed turns to further disrupt the game in exchange for a slight hit to their reliability rating. It sounds like you could do this once per game without risking a ban (though eventually you'd have to build up your reliability).

- A very vindictive player could abuse up to two extra unexcused missed turns per calendar year with minimal consequences if they wanted to be extra spiteful in certain games.

- Planning strategies around a potential civil disorder becomes challenging if there's a chance the same player might return to the abandoned position. Since most civil disorders don't end with the departing player re-joining the same position, this seems like it might confer an advantage to the player who leaves and rejoins (e.g., other players might engage in more truthful press with a player they think is departing for good).

Jamiet99uk

#7 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:11 am

I agree with Cdngooner and Bertissimo.

If someone is forcibly removed from a game due to NMRs, then, actually, they should not be able to re-enter that game.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.