Last seen functions in anon games

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
Rainfromabove

Last seen functions in anon games

#1 Post by Rainfromabove » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:58 pm

Hi, not a major problem but doesn’t the new(ish) format of showing each players last seen status in anon games make it possible to match up who the player is given we are able to see it to the nearest second?

Especially if you potentially are in any non-anon games with similar players?

Seems like the likelihood of having multiple players consistently be last logged in at the same time with second precision is unlikely. Also not sure what this adds from a gameplay perspective vs the old format where if I’m not mistaken we could only see last seen for non anon games by going to a player’s profile and had last visit within 24 hours and such

Probably to the nearest hour or even day would be more than enough?

Think part of the game is players are allowed to ignore each other without the other players knowing? I guess one use is knowing whether orders are likely to be missed but we have other mechanisms for that

Not actually sure when this change was implemented

Doug7878
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: Last seen functions in anon games

#2 Post by Doug7878 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:43 pm

In an anon gunboat formed on the Forum, the Profile page of all players just says "Visited in last 24 hours".
So as far as figuring out who is playing which power, it doesn't seem that it should be a problem.
My two cents...

Strauss

#3 Post by Strauss » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:29 am

Agree.

Jamiet99uk

#4 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:21 am

I don't understand the question.

If it's an anonymous game, how do you know whose profile to check, to see when they were last online?
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Rainfromabove

#5 Post by Rainfromabove » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:32 am

Maybe I have phrased this poorly

At least on my phone - when you are in an anonymous game it shows you to the minute or sometimes even to the second at the bottom in the list of powers when the person was last online.

Suppose you are in multiple anonymous games. It is conceivable that the same people are playing with you. If you scroll there for more than one game you could conceivably be able to see that two or more different powers in two or more different games have the exact same last login time?

Question is why we have made this possible?

Jamiet99uk

#6 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:43 am

Ah I see. Yes. All games currently have a "last seen" timer under each player's name on the game summary dashboard (within each specific game).

I agree that this should be disabled in Anon games.

One for the Developers to take on, I think?
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Johnny Big Horse
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#7 Post by Johnny Big Horse » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:02 pm

People really compare times someone was online over multiple games?
Damn! I am not serious enough about this game, I guess.

Perhaps the solution, if this is a problem, is to just make it within the hour... but not the minute.

But I don't know if it is a problem.

BUT... one issue with this is that now we know when we are being ignored. I am not sure that is good or not. It changes the game. That is all. In FTF, you know when you are being ignored, when the player says I am sorry, I am too busy to talk to you.

JECE

#8 Post by JECE » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:30 pm

I agree with the concerns. I imagine that this was a mistake on the part of a developer?
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

Rainfromabove

#9 Post by Rainfromabove » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:53 am

Seems that this has been fixed with everyone displaying “last seen over a week” - thanks!

I agree that it’s unlikely that anyone would have truly exploited it but just thought it was weird and worth pointing out