Gulf of Bothnia support hold StP North Coast?

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
Red Dingo

Gulf of Bothnia support hold StP North Coast?

#1 Post by Red Dingo » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:34 pm

In this game, https://www.webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=390409, a fleet in the Gulf of Bothnia is supporting hold of fleet in St. Petersburg North Coast.

I thought support hold could only be given if the unit could move to that space.

Do I remember wrong?

-- Scott

captainmeme

Re: Gulf of Bothnia support hold StP North Coast?

#2 Post by captainmeme » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:04 pm

Coasts don't matter when it comes to supports - the unit only has to be able able to move to the province, not the specific coast. So GoB can support hold any unit in StP.

JECE

#3 Post by JECE » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:05 pm

See page 8 of the rules:
Bulgaria, Spain, and St. Petersburg: These are the only coastal provinces that have two separately identified coasts. A Fleet entering one of these provinces enters along one coast and can then move to a province adjacent to that coast only. The Fleet, nevertheless, is considered to be occupying the entire province. Such a Fleet should be placed on the coastline rather than completely inland. For example, a Fleet at Spain’s North Coast can’t be ordered to move to the Western Mediterranean or to the Gulf of Lyon or to Marseilles. It is, however, considered to be occupying all of Spain.
F StP (nc) "is considered to be occupying the entire province", "all of" Saint Petersburg. Therefore, it can receive support from a fleet that can move to the other coast.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

Red Dingo

#4 Post by Red Dingo » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:11 am

Thank you for the replies. Perhaps I'll be a better Russian player in the future.

Szpoti
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#5 Post by Szpoti » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:29 am

JECE wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:05 pm

F StP (nc) "is considered to be occupying the entire province", "all of" Saint Petersburg. Therefore, it can receive support from a fleet that can move to the other coast.
Otherwise, it would be up for debate whether a province possessing two identified coasts could be occupied by two units simultaneously, one at each coast.