LB Kruijswijk test cases and new Diplomacy judge

Developers and contributors can find a link to our github page and engage in development project planning here.
tideshome

LB Kruijswijk test cases and new Diplomacy judge

#1 Post by tideshome » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:58 pm

I'm developing an automated Diplomacy board to work on Windows as an interesting project. When finished it should help with exploring the consequences of different move options.

I've got the move judge just about finished but wanted to try it on the various test cases out there. All the links I have found to the Kruijswijk test cases don't work, I just get the message that the site can't be reached. Has anyone got a copy?

Also there is a lot of coverage of the various convoy paradox issues. However has anyone come across any paradoxes caused by the rule that states that a dislodged unit cannot cut a support. To see whether a unit is dislodged you first have to see the strength of the attack which may well be affected by cut supports. Clearly this is fairly clear if the unit would be dislodged in all cases but becomes more interesting if the dislodge of a unit is dependent on a support not being cut. However I haven't found a situation which caused a paradox but just that you need to be careful about the order in which moves are evaluated. I just wondered what everyone else had found?

JECE

Re: LB Kruijswijk test cases and new Diplomacy judge

#2 Post by JECE » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:53 pm

That's a big shame that Kruijswijk's webpage appears to be down. It's archived, though:

https://web.archive.org/web/20230608074 ... ruijswijk/

To your second question, it appears that you answered your own question?
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

tideshome

#3 Post by tideshome » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:30 pm

Thanks for the link - that's great. I've hopefully answered it, but I'm not completely sure that there isn't a paradox out there. Consider Turkish moves A SMY s A CON->ANK and Russian moves A ANK s ARM->SMY. On the face of it, the outcome is obvious as neither should move but it could be regarded as a paradox.

JECE

#4 Post by JECE » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:30 am

I mean, that situation is covered in the rulebook, so in that sense it's not a paradox. But maybe it's a logic puzzle for you to work out while you code the adjudicator. You should review Lucas' work because he may actually discuss this scenario and its implications.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

David E. Cohen

#5 Post by David E. Cohen » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:40 pm

Note that the DATC does not take into account the changes in the latest rulebook. I have spoken to Lucas about this, and he does plan to revise the test cases to deal with the changes.
The warrior's Way is the twofold Way of pen and sword.

Friends don't let friends draw-whittle.

Play every game like it is the last one you will ever play!

My website: http://diplomiscellany.tripod.com/

lkruijsw

#6 Post by lkruijsw » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:20 am

Tidesome, if you have questions about writing an adjudicator you can contact me. I am currently updating the DATC.

The old location is indeed gone. It was a homepage provided by my provider, but they don't do it anymore.

The new location will be on BoardGameGeek, just file section of Diplomacy. I think that has the best place to preserve something.

Lucas Kruijswijk