webDip hosted full-press AI live

Developers and contributors can find a link to our github page and engage in development project planning here.
kestasjk
Developer
Developer

Re: webDip hosted full-press AI live

#21 Post by kestasjk » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:46 am

Yep I replaced my account with dipgpt4 to make it easier to troubleshoot, I've set the api key back to dipgpt4 now so it should start responding.

Interested how people go with it, but please note it's a beta feature and I'm currently running it against itself in 10 games, which means it's servicing at least 70 game-countries at the moment, and each extra game is another 6 game-countries, so I'm sure at some point it'll get saturated.

DougJoe

#22 Post by DougJoe » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:17 pm

kestasjk wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:25 am
Eep, didn't think anyone would spot the option yet. I am still testing it out and getting it stable. I think dipgpt4 is the bot that I swapped out for myself but still need to check.

The response time is actually added to based on a sleep time model that delays responses to be more human like, and without it the bots never stop talking to each other. I think I need to change it so that bot-bot messages have a limit / turn, otherwise they can go on chatting for longer than necessary, but this will take a bit of time
I spotted it over the weekend at some point. Trying a game now. I drew Austria, ought to be interesting.

DougJoe

#23 Post by DougJoe » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:28 pm

When do the dipgpt bots ready their orders? Or do they just enter them and wait for the phase to run out?

burner

#24 Post by burner » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:23 pm

Bots are great
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-09-05 162122.png
Screenshot 2023-09-05 162122.png (13.18 KiB) Viewed 904 times

DougJoe

#25 Post by DougJoe » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:03 am

England apologized for not getting back to me in a timely manner... and said nothing else. :D

LouisYuan

#26 Post by LouisYuan » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:53 am

I have readied my orders and all bots have entered orders but none of them have readied and the game isn't moving forward... is this normal?

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#27 Post by kestasjk » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:12 am

Yep that's normal; they were set up for blitz / 5 minute games, so there's no model for when they should ready their orders as the assumption is they need all the time they can and don't want to rush.

Also I can see the number of full press games being run is way more than I anticipated, I'd be surprised if you were getting responses quickly at the moment; right now I'm definitely not keen to have the bots ready their orders so that games progress even quicker, putting more load on; I'd rather for now full press games have to progress at a slow pace. I think 1 day / phase should be okay. I think it's 3 days/phase by default though, which is probably a bit slower than necessary, I'll try and sort this out asap so it doesn't go too slow.

LouisYuan

#28 Post by LouisYuan » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:32 am

Is there a way to change the phase length of bot games?

burner

#29 Post by burner » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:44 am

Oh bots
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-09-05 214336.png

DougJoe

#30 Post by DougJoe » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:40 pm

kestasjk wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:12 am
Yep that's normal; they were set up for blitz / 5 minute games, so there's no model for when they should ready their orders as the assumption is they need all the time they can and don't want to rush.

Also I can see the number of full press games being run is way more than I anticipated, I'd be surprised if you were getting responses quickly at the moment; right now I'm definitely not keen to have the bots ready their orders so that games progress even quicker, putting more load on; I'd rather for now full press games have to progress at a slow pace. I think 1 day / phase should be okay. I think it's 3 days/phase by default though, which is probably a bit slower than necessary, I'll try and sort this out asap so it doesn't go too slow.
No rush, kestas, take your time. This is pretty darn cool and fun in and of itself, your efforts here are much appreciated!

burner

#31 Post by burner » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:48 am

Sorry for clogging up the forum, but this is too good.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-09-06 224806.png
Screenshot 2023-09-06 224806.png (8.21 KiB) Viewed 824 times

DougJoe

#32 Post by DougJoe » Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:06 pm

There's about a day left in my press bot game (https://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=728176) and France (dipgpt1) still hasn't entered orders (all other countries have).

DarthPorg36

#33 Post by DarthPorg36 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:58 am

Loving the AI press, but this chat exchange makes no sense

Me (Austria) to Russia:
I'll DMZ Galicia, yes.

What moving the fleet to Rumania instead? I'd take it as a sign of your commitment to our alliance if you move Sevastopol into Rumania supported by Ukraine, not the other way around.

Russia, in response:
Great!
Turkey hasn't responded to my request to demilitarize the Black Sea, so I might need to use Sevastopol to support myself. I'll see what he says.

*facepalm*

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#34 Post by kestasjk » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:37 am

Can we get the game ID and turn so we can see the context? To be fair even as a non-AI I have a bit of trouble understanding your message ;p (Though I definitely do think we'll be seeing more weaknesses emerge in this context than you're ever going to see in an academic context before publishing a paper; I'd be surprised if we don't see a weakness or two emerge / some bizarre press emerge)

I've disabled full press bot game creation for the time being seeing that it isn't submitting orders for some countries, and there are definitely enough games happening to test it out

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#35 Post by kestasjk » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:48 am

DougJoe wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:40 pm
kestasjk wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:12 am

No rush, kestas, take your time. This is pretty darn cool and fun in and of itself, your efforts here are much appreciated!
Cheers DJ; I feel I could work on webDip full time for 3-6 months before I'd consider it feature-complete again, like I felt it was in 2010, but I can only realistically/sustainably spend a weekend every month. If my day job fails that would be quite tempting.. Glad people are having fun with it even in beta

As you know the work I'm doing to adapt this AI from supercomputer to personal computer and get it working in a production environment is a tiny fraction of the work to develop the AI in the first place, so big thanks to Meta (Noam Brown, Alexander Miller, Emily Dinan, CM, etc etc) and MILA/Philip Paquette

mOctave

#36 Post by mOctave » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:45 am

Is it intentional for dipgpt1 to be playing all (gunboat included) France vs Austria games? It seems to be doing so.

Johnny Big Horse
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#37 Post by Johnny Big Horse » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:27 pm

dipgpt wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:23 am
Johnny Big Horse wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:18 pm
I think we just played a bot in our current game. We ousted him first. He responded with too many messages and lied to everyone.
Yep, the first shot. The over-messaging and lack of filtering wasn't good, but it was a fine proof of concept. The messages were pretty good for the most part, just too much and not filtered enough.
Wait, that was really a bot? I was just guessing, but didn't have much faith in my guess. This guy or bot, appeared to be really good, and had relationships with everyone.

Aristocrat

#38 Post by Aristocrat » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:32 pm

Do these bots actually change their orders based on press they receive, or is it essentially gunboat with bots independently spitting words out based on what they receive and the state of the board, but not actually factoring press into decision making? My limited experience so far suggests the latter but that could just be the way they’re interacting in my particular game.

mOctave

#39 Post by mOctave » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:14 am

For me at least, they seem to be actually negotiating. Although they're perhaps too trusting.

captainmeme

#40 Post by captainmeme » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:10 am

Aristocrat wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:32 pm
Do these bots actually change their orders based on press they receive, or is it essentially gunboat with bots independently spitting words out based on what they receive and the state of the board, but not actually factoring press into decision making? My limited experience so far suggests the latter but that could just be the way they’re interacting in my particular game.
I monitored this bot behind the scenes when Meta was developing it - I can confirm that it changes its orders based on the press it sends/receives. It actually changes its orders a lot; in the original Blitz games it wasn't uncommon to see it modify its orders upwards of 10 times over a 5 minute period.