Transitioning Scoring Systems: Backward Compatibility?

Developers and contributors can find a link to our github page and engage in development project planning here.
nopunin10did

Transitioning Scoring Systems: Backward Compatibility?

#1 Post by nopunin10did » Thu May 16, 2019 2:35 pm

I started a thread over on vDiplomacy about updating their current systems for scoring (and related systems regarding the definition of the solo). They would be brought closer in line to how webDip handles all such code, with some additions to support an updated version of PPSC.

This would be a longer-term coding project, but I think it would be good for their site and community as a whole.

When webDip made its transition away from PPSC scoring and began supporting SOS scoring:

1) How did you handle PPSC games in progress?
2) Which commits in GitHub were most relevant to these changes?

captainmeme

Re: Transitioning Scoring Systems: Backward Compatibility?

#2 Post by captainmeme » Fri May 17, 2019 1:20 pm

Can't answer 2) but for 1), the setting was disabled in the game creation menu but current games were unaffected. I think there are still a few PPSC games (now called Survivors Win Scoring or SWS) still active and on pause from way back when.

nopunin10did

#3 Post by nopunin10did » Fri May 17, 2019 1:40 pm

Is that scoring method still supported in the code, even though it’s not enabled for new game creation?

And would a hypothetical draw in one of those games still share points equally?

captainmeme

#4 Post by captainmeme » Fri May 17, 2019 4:22 pm

Yes and yes, as far as I am aware.

Restitution

#5 Post by Restitution » Fri May 17, 2019 4:48 pm

The most sensible thing would be to just disable the game mode and not transition the scores.

You could also just recalculate per-game what the score would have been in the most analogous scoring system still used. But IMO that's not fair, because people would have been playing to achieve a different scoring system.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#6 Post by jmo1121109 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:55 pm

nopunin10did wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:40 pm
Is that scoring method still supported in the code, even though it’s not enabled for new game creation?

And would a hypothetical draw in one of those games still share points equally?
Yes it is still supported.

And it was not changed at all from how it used to be.

nopunin10did

#7 Post by nopunin10did » Sat May 18, 2019 12:25 am

Okay, that’s reassuring then. The eventual transition need not be too rocky.

A_Tin_Can
Lifetime Site Contributor

#8 Post by A_Tin_Can » Mon May 27, 2019 5:17 pm

I removed PPSC. As others have said, it was done by disabling game creation, not by removing it from the site. This is important, because for game history to work (with the way webdip is written), all historical options need to be available. I’m sure the commits are around if you want to see them. It happened around Christmas 2015.

The arguments for removal instead of keeping it as a side option were:

1) data analysis suggested that more options leads to fewer games played overall
2) It seemed like no one felt strongly in favour of PPSC.
3) We were adding unranked games (for other reasons), and since the people who were playing primarily PPSC weren’t hard core competitive, we thought they’d be well served here (in fact, you could score unranked games however you like - and people do).

The result was extended harassment from one or two members who felt that I had crossed a line by removing PPSC. Or, as I saw it, by trying to listen to the majority of the active player base, without hurting the number of active games (and working on bringing the site closer to the FTF community).

Honestly, the reaction is a large part of the reason I lost interest in spending my free time working on webdip. I’m not saying don’t do it, but I am saying be careful to survey the users first (we asked on the forum, but not everyone considered that was enough), and know that some people may react disproportionately negatively.

On the subject of webdip development. I’m really happy to see site development happening again, lead by Jmo. Please be nice to him and his team.