Planning a League Event

Find the tournament calendar, sign up for tournaments, track tournament results, and fill out the tournament director questionnaire here.
THC

Planning a League Event

#1 Post by THC » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:25 pm

I've been thinking about running a League event later in the year - starting September, if things pan out.

The idea is to have 7 rounds of games between Sept 2022 and March 2023, each round starting each month.

The idea would be that players could play in one game each round, with a minimum of 3 rounds played to feature in the scoring. Points awarded in each game would be divided by 7, regardless of how many rounds people were involved in.

So far, so usual(-ish).

Here's the twist, though: wedDip's league would be one of three, with leagues being run simultaneously on Playdip and Backstabbr. The top seven players from each league would then be invited to compete in an additional 3 games, one game on each platform. Final points scored from the individual Leagues would be carried over to the Championship, and added to points won in those final games, with the Championship games being scored at 150% to stress their importance (and to give lower scoring players a look-in).

That's the idea, anyway. Any thoughts?
Writer of "The Diplomaticon" blog: https://diplomaticon.com/
Publisher of NOTES ON A NAPKIN Dipzine.
Author of "50 Tips for Playing Better Diplomacy."
ODC: https://onlinediplomacychampionship321479591.wordpress.com/

Johnny Big Horse
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: Planning a League Event

#2 Post by Johnny Big Horse » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:03 pm

I tried PlayDip and I found the limitations on the site really affected my game. I want never to have to play there again. (But, there are others I think who like it more than webdip.)

I like the idea of a league though, but of a different nature.

How about leagues of maybe 6 players. We know who each other is, and for a year of games, there are 4 teams in each classic dip game. 3 teams of 2 and 1 solo player. The teams know who they are and work to either solo for one of them or draw among the two. A win for the team is a win... so if one solos and the other is killed, it is still a win for both.

That would put an interesting twist on the game.

Johnny Big Horse
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: Planning a League Event

#3 Post by Johnny Big Horse » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:05 pm

I don't think the teams should know who they are playing against. So it would be anonimous, but there would be 3 teams who have a partner. I think this is metagaming right?

The only problem with this is that it could lead to more metagaming on the site, which would destroy it for everyone.