British PM Richie Rich Sunak decides to celebrate 4th July 1776 Anniversary of Loss of Webellious North American Colonie

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

British PM Richie Rich Sunak decides to celebrate 4th July 1776 Anniversary of Loss of Webellious North American Colonie

#1 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu May 23, 2024 1:50 pm

British PM Richie Rich Sunak declaration of General Election in Britain the celebrate the anniversary of the 4th July 1776 loss of the Webellious North American Colonies.
Will Dipbro Brainbomb be lighting the fireworks in Nebraska?

How will Dipbro jamiet99uk celebrate the oversized hutzpah of one of the British Prime Ministers of smallest stature to rule the unruly & brutish British House of Commons?

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

Re: British PM Richie Rich Sunak decides to celebrate 4th July 1776 Anniversary of Loss of Webellious North American Col

#2 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu May 23, 2024 2:02 pm

Will DipSages Orathaic & Octavious find enough esoteric topics related to Richie Rich Sunak's election campaign policies to dispute in this thread?

Will County Squire Albertissimo Gaseous Maximus yet again exert political control of his seat of Thunderous flatulent power in his County Outhouse?

How will Flatulence Czars Piers Morgan & Nigel Farage dominate the Excitable Rabble of Gaslighters?

Esquire Bertissimmo

Re: British PM Richie Rich Sunak decides to celebrate 4th July 1776 Anniversary of Loss of Webellious North American Col

#3 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Thu May 23, 2024 2:46 pm

I was getting gassy just hearing the news that a UK election had been called. PM Trudeau is going to cut off my internet connection before my excitable bowel makes Canada miss its Paris targets.

MajorMitchell

#4 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu May 23, 2024 3:03 pm

Just wait until.Piers and Naughty Nigel* Farage get into full flow, Greta,Thunderbird will be incandescent in appreciation.
* Yes. The song Making Plans for Nigel by British Band XTC is a romantic homage to Naughty Nigel Farage.

MajorMitchell

#5 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu May 23, 2024 3:31 pm

Having mentioned the British band XTC I then reminisced about those fun times observing the young whipper-snappers in Britain during the 1970s and 1980s when I was stationed in Britain fighting the Cold War with the Strategic Air Command schlepping supersonic Bombers over the USSR to earn a few Shekels & US dollars pay the bills.

Those were the decades when young jamiet99uk was a slim handsome hirsute dapper young dasher and reputed to be an intellectual mentor for British bands XTC and UK Squeeze and other artists.
If you young whipper-snappers of the 21st century are doubtful on that you only have to listen to XTC's sings to find innumerable cryptic references to young jamiet99uk, notably the English Settlement album*
* Yacht Dance was reputedly inspired by the seductive dance moves of the Dashing young jamiet99uk

MajorMitchell

#6 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu May 23, 2024 3:42 pm

Have I told the TRUE STORY of the time the navigator in my aircrew on a supersonic Bomber I had to schlep across Soviet airspace git drunk on cheap Gin and got us lost over the Ural mountains?
Fortunately the moon rose glowing overhead so I piloted the trusty bomber to the Moon for a few orbits to get a bearing for good old damp grey & cold Blighty then flew the bomber and lads home to Biggin Hill for a superb breakfast of gruel and kippers for the aircrew and whisky with hot porridge for myself and my copilot.

MajorMitchell

#7 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu May 23, 2024 3:48 pm

This use of a detour via the Moon to get a decent bearing for Biggin Hill was of course something I had done with the RAF in 1944 in a damaged Lancaster coming home from a raid on Himmler's Headquarters and on other occasions during that war

Jamiet99uk

#8 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu May 23, 2024 3:51 pm

MajorMitchell, you seem rather over-stimulated.

Perhaps you should go and have a little sit down and a nice cool glass of milk.
This is my potato. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My potato is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my potato is useless. Without my potato, I am useless.

brainbomb

#9 Post by brainbomb » Thu May 23, 2024 5:08 pm

Jamie dont be ridiculous, you know they dont have milk on planet blargon7

Octavious

#10 Post by Octavious » Thu May 23, 2024 8:54 pm

In all honesty, I don't think anyone cares. We have two party leaders who were both chosen to lead their respective parties primarily because they were nothing like Boris. Starmer has all the appeal of a cheese and salad cream sandwich that has been left overnight in a lunchbox. Sunak is a slightly fresher cheese and pickle sandwich, but his lunchbox is contaminated by a mouldy satsuma and a melted KitKat.

Starmer will win comfortably, and go on to lead the most unpopular Labour government in modern history when reality sinks in. The Tories will get a well deserved kicking that will either force them to change for the better or kill them off.

Unless it turns out that Starmer has several bodies buried under his backyard patio this is going to be the least interesting election ever.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#11 Post by orathaic » Thu May 23, 2024 10:03 pm

Octavious wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:54 pm
In all honesty, I don't think anyone cares. We have two party leaders who were both chosen to lead their respective parties primarily because they were nothing like Boris. Starmer has all the appeal of a cheese and salad cream sandwich that has been left overnight in a lunchbox. Sunak is a slightly fresher cheese and pickle sandwich, but his lunchbox is contaminated by a mouldy satsuma and a melted KitKat.

Starmer will win comfortably, and go on to lead the most unpopular Labour government in modern history when reality sinks in. The Tories will get a well deserved kicking that will either force them to change for the better or kill them off.

Unless it turns out that Starmer has several bodies buried under his backyard patio this is going to be the least interesting election ever.
I, not being a British subject and not currently living there, will neither get to vote (though I likely have been eligible in the past) nor care enough to pay attention.

Oct likely has a good handle on what is going on, Labour seem despicable at the moment...

Honestly, is this even news? British government calls election. Right, cool, nothing to see here.

Meanwhile Ireland and Norway (I think) have recognised Palestine and Israel has pulled their ambassadors (temporarily i presume) pressure mounts as some NATO countries are discussing sending troops to Ukraine (to do training of Ukrainian) and another says Ukrainians can use their weapons to hit targets across the border in Russia.

Esquire Bertissimmo

#12 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Thu May 23, 2024 10:44 pm

If the news were competitive in this way we'd talk about nothing but nuclear risk and climate change. Not sure that would be healthy or productive.

Besides, an early election in the UK is a reasonable big deal, arguably moreso than minor EU members' views on Palestine for example.

MajorMitchell

#13 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri May 24, 2024 1:34 am

I'm trying to form an opinion about Sir Kier Starmer.
He is reportedly from a humble working class family & became a Barrister.
What type of Barrister was he?
My concern is that he is clearly not a Horace Rumpole type of lawyer.
Is he more a Claude Erskine Brown type of chap?
I hope he's not a Guthrie Featherstone QC MP type of chap.

With regard to his knighthood. There is no mention of Sir Kier fighting and slaying Fire Breathing Dragons nor him Singeing the beard of the Spanish Sovereign like good old Sir Francis Drake.

If Sir Kier and Richie Rich Sunak have to get into serious Jousting there are some practical difficulties for Richie Rich Sunak given that his diminutive stature would mean he'd be riding a Welsh Coal mine Pony and they often do not perform well in sunshine.

MajorMitchell

#14 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri May 24, 2024 2:02 am

Dear Dipbro Brainbomb.
It's the planet Blargon 7.3
With a Capital B
And a point 3 after the 7

With this British general election caper.
We have not mentioned the Liberal Party or other parties 🤔

My recommendation for the Liberal Party in Britain would be to immediately make the Comedian Jimmy Carr their Leader.
Comedians are well equipped to be political leaders, look at Ukraine.

MajorMitchell

#15 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri May 24, 2024 2:13 am

In other legal & political news I have persuaded the local Magistrate in Paradise Lost Cove to issue arrest warrants for Naughty Benjamin in Tel Aviv and a Recalcitrant Hamas Leader Wicked Wally and my Fire Breathing MemSahib, Her Serene Imperiousness Indoors is sharpening her Castrating Knives.
It's either them or me!
I worked hard at my Onanism to become a Polyorchidist so it won't be me that gets cut down to size by Her Serene Imperiousness Indoors

Octavious

#16 Post by Octavious » Fri May 24, 2024 12:06 pm

MajorMitchell wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 1:34 am
I'm trying to form an opinion about Sir Kier Starmer
I wouldn't bother.

He's fine. Born in a political family who were the sort of Labour members who are perfectly happy to send their son to grammar school. Became a human rights lawyer, ended up leading the Crown Prosecution Service which is the sort of job that hands out knighthoods rather than book vouchers or a watch if you do it for more than a few years.

He's hardworking, serious, and dull. Seems a decent enough chap for a politician, although he was arguably too keen to sing Corbyn's praises when he worked for him, and moved swiftly to condemning Corbyn and everything he stood for once he achieved power. His greatest political achievement is making Labour seem safe, which is going to win him the role of PM in what will likely be one of the lowest turnout elections for some time.

In the US both sides go to great lengths to mobilise their base. What Kier has done magnificently well is convince the Tory base to stay at home, and in order to do so he's sacrificed half of Labour's base in the process. You'd be forgiven for thinking that this would make ideal conditions for the Lib Dems, but their problem is that many of their general election votes are lent to them in a desperate attempt to defeat the Tories, and everyone is so certain that the Tories will lose regardless there's no real motivation to do that.

Labour will win a comfortable majority, the Tories will have a grim night, the Lib Dems will pretend that their meagre gains are a major victory whilst crying into their ale, and the Greens and Reform will see their best ever results and spend the next five years complaining about the FPTP system that meant they only got a handful of seats

Octavious

#17 Post by Octavious » Fri May 24, 2024 3:38 pm

There's always the possibility that Labour will destroy itself, but that is a difficult task in the time available even for them. A Labour civil war is coming, but I think they will hold off until after the election. Then Kier will have a hell of a time. Labour will have a big enough presence that rebel MPs will feel that they have more freedom to rebel, and there will be a lot to rebel against as the Labour government are forced to stick to Tory spending plans and the change people have been demanding shows little sign of happening. This time next year there will be a lot of angry disappointed people directing their anger directly at Kier.

All this is pretty much certain. Add variables like a Trump victory, a revived Tory opposition led by the exciting young Badenoch, grim news from Ukraine, and whatever the next unexpected global disaster will be, and Kier may well be wishing he never got the job. But you never know... He may get lucky...

MajorMitchell

#18 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri May 24, 2024 3:44 pm

Thank you Octavious for your informative post.
Whilst I indulge in making silly posts it is good to read your serious comments about politics in Britain.
Has the rise of the Greens impacted the Liberal Dems?
My assumption is that the Greens would be taking votes from both the British Labour Party and the Liberal Dems, but might be affecting one of that pair more than the other.

Octavious

#19 Post by Octavious » Fri May 24, 2024 6:56 pm

The Green Party is hurting the Lib Dem because it's being increasingly seen as the go to party of protest, especially for younger voters. The Lib Dems looked too much like the establishment in the coalition era, and their political stunts designed to attract attention are making them look rather silly.

They are impacting the Labour Party by stealing away their left wing activists. Corbynistas, Momentum types, and anyone else frustrated by the direction Starmer has taken them. In the short term Starmer is delighted by this as it reduces the power of the rebels in the Labour ranks, but longer term when fighting future elections it could be an issue

Jamiet99uk

#20 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri May 24, 2024 10:25 pm

Octavious wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 3:38 pm
All this is pretty much certain. Add variables like a Trump victory, a revived Tory opposition led by the exciting young Badenoch, grim news from Ukraine, and whatever the next unexpected global disaster will be, and Kier may well be wishing he never got the job. But you never know... He may get lucky...
I think you mistakenly said "exciting" when what you meant to say was "dangerous nutcase".
This is my potato. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My potato is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my potato is useless. Without my potato, I am useless.