Are aliens more likely to be extraterrestrial or interdimensional?

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Fluminator

Are aliens more likely to be extraterrestrial or interdimensional?

#1 Post by Fluminator » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:05 am

I was always a proponent for interdimensional aliens being more likely than extraterrestrial.

Durga

Re: Are aliens more likely to be extraterrestrial or interdimensional?

#2 Post by Durga » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:23 am

Are you sure you're allowed to create this thread? I don't think it's triggering enough

Octavious

#3 Post by Octavious » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:30 am

As extraterrestrial aliens are about as close to a certainty as you can get, I'd say it was pretty tricky for interdimensional whatucallits to be more likely.

What is meant by interdimensional anyway? Is this a variation of the many worlds idea?

Carl Tuckerson

#4 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:47 am

Isn't extraterrestrial per se more likely, since any interdimensional alien would definitionally be extraterrestrial, but not all extraterrestrial aliens are interdimensional?

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#5 Post by dargorygel » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:59 pm

Mind blown.
Hopefully coffee will help.

Szpoti
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#6 Post by Szpoti » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:19 pm

Carl Tuckerson wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:47 am
Isn't extraterrestrial per se more likely, since any interdimensional alien would definitionally be extraterrestrial, but not all extraterrestrial aliens are interdimensional?
I was opening this threat with this idea exactly in my mind. Carl spelt it out before me, but if two of us came up with this obvious claim, does it not make the question, well, redundant?

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#7 Post by dargorygel » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:31 pm

Szpoti wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:19 pm
Carl Tuckerson wrote:
I was opening this threat with this idea exactly in my mind. Carl spelt it out before me, but if two of us came up with this obvious claim, does it not make the question, well, redundant?
UNLESS you are an interdimensional/extradimensioal alien TRYING to fuzzle the discussion and make our minds stop considering the fact that YOU are an inter/extra/dimensional/terrestrial alien.

Octavious

#8 Post by Octavious » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:59 pm

Perhaps it needs a bit more spelling out. Why is an interdimensional alien necessarily extraterrestrial?

Carl Tuckerson

#9 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:03 pm

Octavious wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:59 pm
Perhaps it needs a bit more spelling out. Why is an interdimensional alien necessarily extraterrestrial?
I presume it is a prerequisite of inhabiting Earth that you inhabit the dimension in which Earth exists, and therefore that any alien which does not inhabit the dimension in which Earth exists cannot inhabit Earth.
Whereas one could envision aliens who inhabit non-Earth spaces within this dimension (e.g. Martians).
That would make interdimensionals a subset of extraterrestrials, so interdimensionals cannot be more likely than extraterrestrials.

Claesar

#10 Post by Claesar » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:18 pm

Perhaps we're talking about a parallel universe where aliens inhabit earth. They visit us through a portal. Would they be interdimensional but not extraterrestial?

Carl Tuckerson

#11 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:58 pm

I would presume they are inhabiting a different, parallel Earth, and thus would be extraterrestrial vis-a-vis our Earth. But maybe that isn't a fair presumption.

That said, I think this point is great:
Szpoti wrote:
Carl Tuckerson wrote:
We should presume the meaning that doesn't make the question moot.
That strongly suggests that interdimensionals from an Earth in a parallel universe are in fact not extraterrestrials.

Szpoti
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#12 Post by Szpoti » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:00 pm

Carl Tuckerson wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:58 pm
I would presume they are inhabiting a different, parallel Earth, and thus would be extraterrestrial vis-a-vis our Earth. But maybe that isn't a fair presumption.

That said, I think this point is great:
Szpoti wrote:
Carl Tuckerson wrote:
We should presume the meaning that doesn't make the question moot.
That strongly suggests that interdimensionals from an Earth in a parallel universe are in fact not extraterrestrials.
This can only hold up on the assumption that the universe is indeed infinite, and that a parallel universe also so. If these two assumptions are true, then we are certain that we can find an infinite number of Earths in this and parallel universes that fully resemble each other. We would, however, stumble upon the problem of identity - which Earth can claim originality. Probably all of them. And if so, all of them would perceive the other Earths as extraterrestrial, regardless of their origin in this or other universes.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#13 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:55 pm

What's the definition of "aliens"?
If the question is--- is there life elsewhere in our cosmos/universe? Then I think there probably is. Being such egocentric creatures we tend to ask ourselves are there comparable species to us elsewhere in our universe. That's not as likely in my opinion.
Multi-dimensional beings is a concept related to the hypothesis that there are more than the three physical dimensions plus time. There is an analogy used in a book where the concept of less than three physical dimensions existence is discussed. I forget most of the specific details, but for example.. one & two dimensional creatures existing on a plane (surface not aeroplane).. in comparison to those critturs there are creatures that exist in three physical dimensions.
So the hypothesis of multi dimensions raises interesting questions. Eg, can "higher dimensional" realities co~exist with lesser dimensional realities? Putting time to the side for a moment.. Two dimensional realities (surfaces, & represented or mapped using x & y axis) exist in a three dimensional realities (x,y,z axis as an example of how we can represent 3D objects or space)
Then of course someone drags God into it, and there's the suggestion that God is simply a higher dimensional entity (not that anything to do with higher dimensional realities is ever simple)
So if multiple dimensional realities can co~exist, maybe we're all a bunch of dullards who only see a small portion of our universe, that which exists only in three physical dimensions plus time, and maybe there are superior beings who exist in the other higher dimensional realities all around us & we're like a bunch of ants in an ant farm & these higher dimensional beings occasionally slum it in our reality & then return to their purportedly​ superior reality.
It's all speculative. Most probable.. simple life forms exist elsewhere in our universe. X billion stars in each of x billion galaxies. Likelihood of planets with favourable conditions to support life...
An analogy is a trillion Petrie dishes.. mould is bound to turn up on several.
I would not regard "Hollywood" (ie USA's movie and TV content producing industry) as being an accurate representor of our collective cultural Zeitgeist. That said, it is interesting to see how we imagine alien life forms. Usually hostile (like us?)
I love the Space trekking song with it's lyrics "we come in peace, shoot to kill" ~ such satire in a pop song. Beautiful & sad.

Fluminator

#14 Post by Fluminator » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:58 pm

Carl Tuckerson wrote:
No, because they could still be on Earth, just a different spacial dimension on it.
There could be whole colonies of different people on it, just 10 km deeper in the 4th spacial axis.

Durga

#15 Post by Durga » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:16 pm

Let's remember these things don't have to be mutually exclusive :)

Smokey Gem

#16 Post by Smokey Gem » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:30 pm

All aliens be the extra dimensional or intra dimensional should be stopped from coming to earth by the building a metaphysical wall of illogic.

Smokey Gem

#17 Post by Smokey Gem » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:32 pm

@ Major M.
Like in the Mothman movie . A " superior being "may just be able to see further down the road.

And like us knowing a cockroach is a live and it knowing we are alive . but it is very hard for us to explain ourselves to it.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#18 Post by MajorMitchell » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:19 pm

If there are higher dimensional beings, WHY would they have the slightest interest in our world and/or us?
Maybe we are already in Purgatory, a construct of a higher dimensional God, and we were very naughty in a previous higher dimensional existence ?

SpaceDip

#19 Post by SpaceDip » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:49 pm

I was just wondering... why don't we find one and simply ask him (her?,it?) to elucidate us?

Percy Williams

#20 Post by Percy Williams » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:44 pm

SpaceDip wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:49 pm
I was just wondering... why don't we find one and simply ask him (her?,it?) to elucidate us?
I believe the pronoun "Chegg" works best here, for the Chocolate egg that clearly is this greater being.