Travel Destinations

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Wusti

Re: Travel Destinations

#41 Post by Wusti » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:49 am

Smokey Gem wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:20 am
Western Australia,

We have surfiung beaches world class Margaret River.
Worlds best n=beach in Espernace.
Incredeble fishing . Ningaloo reef Bigger than great barrier and not so mnay tourists. Swim with what sharks.
Brrom and the peral coast. forrests down south , desterts and incredible gorges Bunge Bungle.
Rottnest Island with Quokkas.

Just costs a bit to get around we are a very big state roughly 1/3 of austrlain land mass.
We just can't type or spell :)

Honestly though I flew to Perth a while back and went on a road trip up to Shark Bay and Monkey Mia to check out the dolphins, sharks and Dugongs - ended up seeing WAY more including swimming with sea snakes, the Pinnacles and one stretch of road with not a single bend for over 80km, just a rolling series of sand dunes covered in scrub.

I don't think you can just say come to Australia, as we have nearly every kind of landscape found on Earth (the exceptions being really high mountains and glacial valleys) - but you would expect that in an island the size of the mainland US.

I've travelled extensively around the world and the only other country I think competes with Oz for sheer natural beauty would be Canada.

VillageIdiot

#42 Post by VillageIdiot » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:59 am

Just traveled through Sri Lanka this part year and I would recommend it. It's still pretty non-touristy but still has a cool backpacker vibe in places. It's got beaches and hill country, interesting wildlife, an interesting culture mix that's influenced by both India and SE Asia, and amazing food. Very cool laid back country with lots to offer.

Durga

#43 Post by Durga » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:17 pm

MadMarx wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:34 am
Durga wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:48 pm
I have a special place in my heart for Madrid and Malaga- Spain in general tbh
What was so special about Malaga? I have a brother (wife and three boys) in Cartagena Spain (Mediterranean view from their terrace) that I’ve visited a few times, we made it to Granada, but Malaga wouldn’t be much farther, maybe we’ll head that way next time... Just saw him and his family over Memorial Day Weekend in San Francisco, not sure when we’ll meet up again, but I’ll get back there one day, a few ideas of where to explore can’t hurt...
I went during the Malaga Fair, and I've really never had more fun in my life. Maybe not the best for a family adventure, but lots of fun if you like partying and live music and dancing all day. I hardly revisit places but I'm really contemplating going back this year.

Aside from that, it's a beautiful city with a great beach.

Durga

#44 Post by Durga » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:20 pm

Anyone been up to the Baltics? I have some time to kill in Europe (about 2 weeks) before I go to WDC in Marseilles. If anyone has trip suggestions for a student on a budget, pls share.

Claesar

#45 Post by Claesar » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:37 pm

Croatia is beautiful, especially along the coast. You'd be there in high season though, so that's not optimal.

Durga

#46 Post by Durga » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:39 pm

Claesar wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:37 pm
Croatia is beautiful, especially along the coast. You'd be there in high season though, so that's not optimal.
I've been there. And been to Bosnia, Slovenia, Ukraine, Slovakia, and Hungary and Poland (just Krakow) in the east

Temasek22

#47 Post by Temasek22 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:53 pm

-Singaporean Here-

They're lots of great travel destinations here in Asia which are pretty low budget. Other than Singapore you also have Penang, Kuala Lumpur and Johor (all in Malaysia) which are relatively low budget and fun. Cairns, Australia has awesome scenery while Taiwan is also a really good option!

Claesar

#48 Post by Claesar » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:28 am

Durga wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:39 pm
Claesar wrote:
I've been there. And been to Bosnia, Slovenia, Ukraine, Slovakia, and Hungary and Poland (just Krakow) in the east
I do 3-5 citytrips in Europe per year and yet some Canadian student on a budget has been to more places than I have :eyeroll:

Vaporwave

#49 Post by Vaporwave » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:54 am

Claesar wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:28 am
Durga wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:39 pm
Claesar wrote:
I do 3-5 citytrips in Europe per year and yet some Canadian student on a budget has been to more places than I have :eyeroll:
are you from Western Europe, Claesar? :o That's the only way I see you afford 3/5 trips

Claesar

#50 Post by Claesar » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:58 am

Vaporwave wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:54 am
are you from Western Europe, Claesar? :o That's the only way I see you afford 3/5 trips
Yes, I'm from the Netherlands. But I'm sure there's people in every country that could afford such.. It's only like €2000 a year.

Octavious

#51 Post by Octavious » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:41 am

Quick question for the enlightened travellers of the forum...

Does a week away in Turkey mean I can get away with ticking Asia off the list? Mrs Oct, who has also been to the likes of Singapore and India, is very much against the idea, as it means I'm currently winning on continents visited. I admit that it's perhaps the least comprehensive tour of Asia on offer, but insist that it still counts regardless.

As a gesture of reconciliation I've already conceded that my previous stance of ticking off Eurasia after a visit to Portugal went against the spirit of the competition.

Carl Tuckerson

#52 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:53 am

Octavious wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:41 am

Does a week away in Turkey mean I can get away with ticking Asia off the list? Mrs Oct, who has also been to the likes of Singapore and India, is very much against the idea, as it means I'm currently winning on continents visited. I admit that it's perhaps the least comprehensive tour of Asia on offer, but insist that it still counts regardless.

As a gesture of reconciliation I've already conceded that my previous stance of ticking off Eurasia after a visit to Portugal went against the spirit of the competition.
It has to be Asian. What else could it be? European? Nonsense.
If you spend your entire time on the European side of the Turkish Straits then I wouldn't give you credit, but assuming you end up on the 95% of the country that is in Asia, I'd count it as Asian.

Octavious

#53 Post by Octavious » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:10 am

Carl Tuckerson wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:53 am
Octavious wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:41 am

It has to be Asian. What else could it be? European? Nonsense.
If you spend your entire time on the European side of the Turkish Straits then I wouldn't give you credit, but assuming you end up on the 95% of the country that is in Asia, I'd count it as Asian.
I fully agree. Open and shut, I said. Yet Mrs Oct referred me to a conversation some years back when discussing the Americas, and whether they should be simply the Americas, North and South America, or North, South and Central America. Obviously the correct answer was North and South America, but during the discussion I made the careless, light hearted, and throwaway remark along the lines of "like the football confederations". This trivial bit of chit chat, which I'm not entirely sure I remember even saying, is now being used against me as Turkey plays, albeit rather ineffectively, in Europe.

Claesar

#54 Post by Claesar » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:42 am

Octavious wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:10 am
I fully agree. Open and shut, I said. Yet Mrs Oct referred me to a conversation some years back when discussing the Americas, and whether they should be simply the Americas, North and South America, or North, South and Central America. Obviously the correct answer was North and South America, but during the discussion I made the careless, light hearted, and throwaway remark along the lines of "like the football confederations". This trivial bit of chit chat, which I'm not entirely sure I remember even saying, is now being used against me as Turkey plays, albeit rather ineffectively, in Europe.
According to the Songfestival, even Australia is European.

Octavious

#55 Post by Octavious » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:13 am

Claesar wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:42 am
According to the Songfestival, even Australia is European.
True, although song contest evidence has been mutually agreed to be inadmissible due to the clear political bias of the contest officials and because we'd both like to go to Australia one day anyway.

Tyler234

#56 Post by Tyler234 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Europe is the best for summer. Poland, Germany. France

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#57 Post by dargorygel » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:37 pm

Tyler234 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:54 pm
Europe is the best for summer. Poland, Germany. France
And maybe especially the ole Baltic States...
Amazingly beautiful parks (and not overcrowded!) historical castles, interesting museums, and inexpensive train routes east to Russia.

Restitution

#58 Post by Restitution » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:38 pm

Do Budapest and Prague. Best places in the world.

Octavious

#59 Post by Octavious » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:17 pm

Restitution wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:38 pm
Do Budapest and Prague. Best places in the world.
You think so? Budapest was ok, but I didn't like Prague much at all. What was so good about them that I missed?

Durga

#60 Post by Durga » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:17 pm

Been there, done that. As they say